PDA

View Full Version : Need bigger band saw

spurgeon locklear
02-04-2012, 9:12 PM
I have the Grizzly G0555 but need one a little bigger any idea
Thanks

Mark Ashmeade
02-04-2012, 9:20 PM
I would have said the Grizzly Polar Bear 513, but they've gone up in price, $200 more than they first came out at. I have one, but there's no way I'd pay a grand for it delivered today. I'd suggest used. Jets seem to come up quite often round my way.

As usual though, it depends on what you want to do with it. Resaw? Big throat requirement?

Van Huskey
02-04-2012, 9:29 PM
It is all about 3 things in my mind:

1. what are you doing that needs a bigger saw
2. what is your budget
3. are you considering used

Guy Belleman
02-04-2012, 9:52 PM
Van's questions are important, and if the folks here are given the answers, they can support your search better.

There are used ones out there that come up on craigslist occasionally. You might also do a search for bandsaws and some will come up. For example, there seems to be decent one at this site, although you would have to find out where it is located: http://www.kitmondo.com/category.aspx?catid=453&catname=band-saw I have also seen some fair deals at companies that sell used or reconditioned tools, like Redmond Machinery, but there are others.

If you provide your general location, the membership here probably can point you quickly to some fine deals in your area.

Stephen Cherry
02-04-2012, 10:12 PM
In boats, a common joke is an ailment called two foot itis. It's when a boat owner is stricken with a desire for a boat two feet longer than the own he already owns. Of course, this is a recurring illness, so someone could own a 22, then 24, then 26 foot boat. I've managed to avoid this by getting an 18' donzi classic. This is the best and coolest of of all boats.

Now to bandsaws-- and two inch itis. You would do well by just buying a saw that you percieve to be "huge" and sticking with it. A bandsaw would be the one tool I would splurge for and grasp to get one a little more expensive than I am comfortable with. That said, I would consider any of the 18 inch or bigger Italian saws. There is a list to consider-- Agazani, laguna, minimax, plus others. I started with a 24 inch agazani (however you spell it), and have never regretted it.

jonathan eagle
02-04-2012, 10:26 PM
The problem with used is that it can take, literally forever. At least in my area the fancy name bandsaws are never on craigslist. I ended up getting a Hammer to see what all the fuss was over European quality, although I'd seen the Laguna saws. It's a great bandsaw but nothing special, quality-wise over the level of grizzly tools I also have. I've never seen the large Grizzly bandsaws. Once you figure out your budget, I recommend trying to see whatever you are trying to buy in person if at all possible.

Van Huskey
02-04-2012, 10:33 PM
In boats, a common joke is an ailment called two foot itis. It's when a boat owner is stricken with a desire for a boat two feet longer than the own he already owns. Of course, this is a recurring illness, so someone could own a 22, then 24, then 26 foot boat. I've managed to avoid this by getting an 18' donzi classic. This is the best and coolest of of all boats.

Now to bandsaws-- and two inch itis. You would do well by just buying a saw that you percieve to be "huge" and sticking with it. A bandsaw would be the one tool I would splurge for and grasp to get one a little more expensive than I am comfortable with. That said, I would consider any of the 18 inch or bigger Italian saws. There is a list to consider-- Agazani, laguna, minimax, plus others. I started with a 24 inch agazani (however you spell it), and have never regretted it.

You need to get -2'itis to have the coolest boat the Sweet 16 is cooler than the 18' Classic. :D Though one of my neighbors used to have a 94mph GPS 18 and it was VERY cool. There used to be a weekend procession of gofast boats in my front "yard" until the recession now it is mostly sub 20' run abouts, mid-sized cruisers and party barges. But I digress.

Agazzani has 2 Zs, I must admit a hard name to remember! If the budget is right you can't go wrong with the Italian, though I prefer Centauro built saws to ACMs.

Stephen Cherry
02-04-2012, 10:57 PM
You need to get -2'itis to have the coolest boat the Sweet 16 is cooler than the 18' Classic. :D Though one of my neighbors used to have a 94mph GPS 18 and it was VERY cool. There used to be a weekend procession of gofast boats in my front "yard" until the recession now it is mostly sub 20' run abouts, mid-sized cruisers and party barges..

Van- I like the 16 also, but the front passanger generally sits backwards, and I like to have the little bit of extra length for that Chesapeake bay chop. 94 mph is just insane though- I get a little twitchy at 60. (the boat is fine though)

Frank Drew
02-04-2012, 10:58 PM
The problem with used is that it can take, literally forever. That's a good point; when I was buying, I gave myself a time limit of a few months to find used equipment (table saw, jointer, lathe, etc.). I found what I needed, but if I hadn't I would have bought new because at some point youi just have to buy something and get to work.

Stephen Cherry
02-04-2012, 11:01 PM
That's a good point; when I was buying, I gave myself a time limit of a few months to find used equipment (table saw, jointer, lathe, etc.). I found what I needed, but if I hadn't I would have bought new because at some point youi just have to buy something and get to work.

That's another advantage of buying used. You can get into a machine that is not necessarily your dream machine, and get out without loosing your shirt when your dream machine does come along. I've always been willing to travel though. I'll trade a day in the pickup truck with super big gulps and 7-11 burritos for a nice machine every time.

Van Huskey
02-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Used can be a juggling act between time and desire, but as mentioned if you start with used getting out of it will usually cost you little to no money. But there are plenty of people without the time, knowledge or inclination to buy used.

Van- I like the 16 also, but the front passanger generally sits backwards,

The modern 16' classic has the passenger in a bucket like the driver:

Andrew Joiner
02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
The modern 16' classic has the passenger in a bucket like the driver:

What's the Resaw capacity on the 16' classic?

Van Huskey
02-05-2012, 12:19 PM
What's the Resaw capacity on the 16' classic?

Depends on the prop, but usually in the 18" range...

Cone on Mr. Locklear what say you? We need to get this thread back on track, we need a budget, make it BIG if you can, it makes for a far more interesting thread! But don't dispair if you budgets are like mine you will still get lots of good info.

spurgeon locklear
02-05-2012, 5:59 PM
Hello looking to spend 1800 that should get me what i need looking to do my own resawing . I have to hire it out now
thanks

Mark Engel
02-05-2012, 6:40 PM
I recently got the Grizzly GO514X2B 19". It is a great band saw and fits in under your budget.

I looked for a used saw for a couple of months but wasn't able to find one I wanted within reasonable driving distance. I have not been dissapointed in the Griz.

Van Huskey
02-05-2012, 7:09 PM
If you can't stretch the budget for a Hammer N4400 then the 18" Rikon and Grizzly 514 series would be my choices. If resawing veneer is your plan I would seriously consider getting the Laguna Drift Master fence to make life easy!

James Baker SD
02-05-2012, 8:33 PM
[QUOTE=
The modern 16' classic has the passenger in a bucket like the driver:[/QUOTE]

The boat looks like fun, but the wife cannot even ride in my two seat sports car without succumbing to motion sickness (bought it two weeks before we met, 17 years old now with 6000 miles on it http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon9.png ). I fear a boat would completely do her in.

Back to bandsaws, if you look at Laguna used, be aware that the older 18" saws came with 3hp motors. I've upgraded to the 4.5hp Baldor and it makes a big difference.

David Kumm
02-05-2012, 9:08 PM
The boat looks like fun, but the wife cannot even ride in my two seat sports car without succumbing to motion sickness (bought it two weeks before we met, 17 years old now with 6000 miles on it http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon9.png ). I fear a boat would completely do her in.

Back to bandsaws, if you look at Laguna used, be aware that the older 18" saws came with 3hp motors. I've upgraded to the 4.5hp Baldor and it makes a big difference.

The older Laguna ACM LT 18 were great machines but not a true resaw. They could tension a 1/2 carbide blade but were not stout enough for the larger Lenox blades. The 3 hp Italian motor was adequate given the saw but the bandsaw makers now have beefed their saws up somewhat. A good all around saw but if looking to resaw a lot I'd go with the MM 16 or 20 used. Dave

James Baker SD
02-05-2012, 9:42 PM
True, mine does not have a deep resaw capacity, a little under 12" with the standard brackets to hold the guides. There was a thread here some time ago about modifying the brackets to gain a little more depth. Still even if resawing 10" cocobolo, the original motor struggled and heated up a lot more than the 4.5hp upgrade. New saw is out of the question for now, but the motor upgrade was affordable.