PDA

View Full Version : "Lunar Tide"

John Keeton
02-04-2012, 9:05 PM
In years past and prior to woodturning, I did some clay work. I have been wanting to combine some sculpting with turning, and thought this might be a good starter piece to see how it might be used. The form is curly maple, dyed Transtint blue, with some black around the opening and base to shade it. The finial cove is holly, and I just picked up one of the waste tenon pieces I keep on my bench - probably poplar - for the crescent. The "man in the moon" is Apoxie - a two part sculpting compound. It is airbrushed black and blue. Finish is lacquer base, with WOP.

Dimensions are about 5.75" x 5.75", and the walls are about 1/8". The "moon" is 1.75" in diameter. I will use black gesso on the interior of the form, but that has not been done yet.

This is something really new for me, and I would like your thoughts on the concept - whether you like this particular piece or not. I have some other ideas I might like to try. And, of course, if you have comments - good or bad - on this piece, please feel free.

222600 222601 222602 222604 222603

Eric Holmquist
02-04-2012, 9:09 PM
Love the colors and the moon man really works with the piece. The blue / black contrasts well with the blue / white figure of the hollow form.

Steve Vaughan
02-04-2012, 9:13 PM
I like that. Great detail in the man in the moon! And the HF is beautiful. The only thing that stuck out in my brain was maybe a few white specks for stars on the HF, but then you'd mess up the wood. Perhaps that's another HF using wood with a bit less character. Great job on it, very unique!

Dick Wilson
02-04-2012, 9:15 PM
Hi John, If I saw this piece sitting on a table I never would have guessed you did it. This is very different than anything I have ever seen.......and that is why I really like it. The opportunity to really stylize each piece is absolutely unlimited with this type of finial. I can see a lot of finials that could be designed with a Marilyn Campbell influence. Marvelous job.

John Spitters
02-04-2012, 9:15 PM
Excellent work on all aspects of this piece, just not sure if they should be together, but the coloring you've done does unite it.
Having just spent the day at a seminar with Alan Carter I'm seeing other visions for work such as this piece.

John

Doug W Swanson
02-04-2012, 9:16 PM
John,
This sure is a great piece! I love the color and the moon is very different. I really like you you tied the two pieces together with color. I love it!

Steve Mawson
02-04-2012, 9:25 PM
I am finally getting used to all you folks that are using dye, it is growing on me. The hollow form looks to be a very good form, you continually produce classic forms. For me the moon does not seem to fit, however that being said I am quite sure the piece put on display would have plenty of folks in line to purchase the piece. So it is me that has trouble changing from basic wood turnings. I think you have a very nice piece that will generate a lot of interest.

Scott Hackler
02-04-2012, 9:29 PM
John,

I like this a lot. Anytime I see something "out of the box" it immediately gets my attension. The form is perfect, as is the coloring. Great transition leading to the moon, as well. I like the you went with a simple cove as opposed to something fancy that might detract from the feature element. My very first though after the "oh thats cool", was that the moon is a little too large. I also think that the black and blue of the moon hides too much of this very cool feature. Having said that, a very light "moon colored" moon might look really odd. Maybe if the moon was made with the curly maple and done in the same fashion as the form so that the curl would "show through" and add a highlight to the top of this piece.

Your sculpture of the man looks fantastic too.

Another great one John. Would look great on anyones display shelf.... for sure.

Roger Chandler
02-04-2012, 9:42 PM
Just AWESOME!

David E Keller
02-04-2012, 9:50 PM
What a cool piece, John! The sculptural portion of this is the highlight for me... That's saying alot given how beautiful the main form is! If I were to be critical, the moon sits a little too high on the form for me... I had issues with placement and height on the monkey pod piece I posted a while back, so I know what a challenge it is to place these atypical finials. The uniqueness of this piece will make it stand out in a gallery, and I'd bet that someone will snatch it up rather quickly!

Nate Davey
02-04-2012, 9:56 PM
Spectacular. The finish is and color a masterful and the "Man in the Moon" is wonderful.

Eric Gourieux
02-04-2012, 10:05 PM
As usual, your form, dye and finish are just impeccable. You're quite the artist. The detail on the moon man is well done. I like the concept.

Ron Crosby
02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Wow, that is cool.

Alan Trout
02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
John,

I really like this piece, I love the color and find the finial to be very fun and whimsical.

Well Done.

Alan

Greg Just
02-04-2012, 10:38 PM
This is a great piece John. Love the colors and the finish. The only thing I would suggest is that the moon be a little smaller. As usual, another Keeton masterpiece.

Jamie Donaldson
02-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Outstanding is all aspects John, and Steve's comment about stars gave me an idea for your consideration. I've seen several turners drill holes and insert silver wire of various sizes in their pieces, and this would be a perfect application for that added touch of starfield bling!

Curt Fuller
02-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Not only a Lunar Tide but a Blue Moon to boot! That's just as cool and imaginative as they get!

Tom Hardy
02-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Very creative John, your work always impresses me.

Baxter Smith
02-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Excellent in all regards. The likeness is remarkable. Even without the ponytail.:)

Ed Morgano
02-04-2012, 11:18 PM
John,
You continue to amaze and inspire. This is another beautiful piece and I really like the departure from the norm.

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2012, 11:24 PM
John that is a beautiful piece. Mary Ann said you could have called it "once in a blue moon." Love the color and the moon really just does it.

Kathy Marshall
02-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Fantastic! The form, color and finish are excellent as always, and the man in the moon is a cool highlite. I thought it was perfect as is, until Keller mentioned the moon sitting too high and once that idea got in my head, I have to agree that it might be a little better if it were a little lower, but I still think it's fantastic as it is.

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2012, 12:45 AM
That sure turned out nice John! Love the hollow form - the shape, the curl and the color! Very impressed with your carving! Who knew you were so talented??

I can see how this idea of a non-traditional finial could lead to some very unique work and I look forward to seeing it!!

Seriously - very nice!

Dan Forman
02-05-2012, 2:39 AM
Love the concept and the execution. For the record, I don't think the finial is too high - it needs the clearance, and it is way up there in the sky after all. :)

Dan

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-05-2012, 6:38 AM
It looks like you had fun making this one, John. I'm thinking about tux jacket with blue jeans. The hollow form is formal and serious and the finial keeps it light and loose. It's not your signature piece, for sure but it will give a whole different feel to a viewer when seen in concert with your other work. Your last two pieces have humor and light hardheartedness. I'm happy for whatever is going on i your life to make you feel that way.
faust

Steve bellinger
02-05-2012, 6:41 AM
John you said in my post you we're doing some sculpting,so i was really looking foward to seeing some of it. Man i think it's just great what you came up with, and as always you knocked it out of the park.

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 6:50 AM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! I did enjoy the sculpting - much less labor intensive than carving, and much less cash investment, as well! I don't think I am capable of carving in this scale without a high speed carving tool of some sort.

Faust, I think this "venturing out" is kind of fun! It is more of a "I have done that - at least to a level of mediocrity" and now it is time to do something else. I still can't turn a decent bowl, though!!:D
Mary Ann said you could have called it "once in a blue moon."Bernie, that is amazing! That was the original title when I started pondering this piece, but a "blue moon" is a full moon. For that reason, I decided against the title. In telephone conversation with my daughter (who had not seen the piece) she suggested Lunar Tide. I felt that more appropriate.

My very first though after the "oh thats cool", was that the moon is a little too large.Scott (and others that felt similarly) - this is was a dilemma for me. The moon conforms to the original sketch, but after turning the form I had second thoughts about the size of the moon and the lift of the base. I scaled another moon - smaller by 1/4" - and actually sculpted one from clay to see what it would do. Both Ms. Keeton and I felt it was too diminutive and needed more height. In order to offset that a little, I made the moon a little more full. Perhaps first thoughts are best??? I am still not sure a smaller moon would work, but I do know that 1/4" goes a long way! And, adding the extra fullness may have been a mistake, as well.

Excellent in all regards. The likeness is remarkable. Even without the ponytail.:)Baxter, my mother was a Stratton prior to marriage. The Strattons have "prominent" noses, and I was "fortunate" enough to inherit that trait! Strangely, I have no sense of smell.:confused: Sort of a strange joke to play if you ask me!:rolleyes:

Michelle Rich
02-05-2012, 7:20 AM
thanks for taking us on your journey into the new realm, very interesting. The vessel color sure is eye-popping. Also eye-grabbing. From a totally personal view, I find the black & blue moon too dark for my taste. But that is purely an opinion from a picture. in real life, it may not look so dark. I hope you make a few more & share them with us.

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 7:23 AM
Thanks, Michelle! Ms. Keeton agrees with you, and I considered airbrushing a lighter shade of blue on the face - perhaps blending it back into the darker blue. But, I just was concerned about the match with the form. It should work, and I may end up doing that.....still thinking!

Dan Forman
02-05-2012, 1:50 PM
John --- I wondered about the size of the moon too, if it could be smaller and maybe even higher( to compensate for the decreased size). For me, I know I would have to make some models, maybe even just cardboard or wood silhouettes to stick on in order to see the effect in 3-D. I like the idea of going lighter with the moon too, maybe even a silvery base coat, with blue lacquer on top, fading from light to dark as the shadow deepens.

Dan

David DeCristoforo
02-05-2012, 2:08 PM
The form is very "Steve S-ish" and very well done. The transition into the lid/finial is as sweet as it gets. The color is... well, it's blue. How could you not like it? The man in the moon is great. Not sure how well it fits with the form but it is certainly unique and very well done also. Two questions. Is that a self portrait? And what kind of clay did you use? I played around with FEMO for a bit and have thought, from time to time about making oddly shaped finials from it. This could open up a whole new direction. All in all, I like this a lot.

John Keeton
02-05-2012, 3:01 PM
Thanks, David. The moon is done with Apoxie Sculpt (http://www.avesstudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=28&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4&vmcchk=1&Itemid=4) - a two part substance similar in use to JB Weld. After kneading it together, it is very tacky for about 10 minutes or so, and that is the time to adhere it to whatever you are using as a base.

Then, for about an hour, it is very similar to very wet clay - almost too easy to move and mold. The next stage is the best time to get detailing. You have about 3 hours of time before it sets and fully cures in 24 hours. It can be tooled after that with drills, lathe tools, etc. Apparently, one can mix a 1:5 portion of oven bake clay with it and retard the cure. You can also stick it in the freezer and this will halt the cure for several hours. I actually did that with this piece in order to break for supper.

The best feature is 0% shrinkage. The first moon I did with air hardening clay cracked badly and pulled from the wood - not good!

Dan, I find it hard to not "move on", but I may revisit the painting of the moon. It may need to be while I have the airbrush out for another task.

Tim Rinehart
02-05-2012, 8:54 PM
Very nice John, I like it. Your time on design shows again, and the elements look great. The blue, the black and that wonderful figure and finish.

Wonderful and a bit whimsical...well done!

Harry Robinette
02-05-2012, 9:33 PM
John
I think it's beautiful the way it is. the pieces all come together in to a really great piece and I can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Tom Hamilton
02-05-2012, 9:42 PM
John, another two cents worth: to my eye the moon is too large by a hair and the curve of the moon closes too much. Maybe just past 180 degrees but not as closed as that one. That said, it is beautiful, attractive and certainly a new frontier.

Price it like the masterpiece it is. You can always come down, never up on price.

Thanks for sharing, Tom in D'Ville, thinking I've got to try some of this stuff.

Rick Markham
02-06-2012, 3:27 AM
Super cool John! The moon man and color are perfect! My vote is you continue on this journey, and I look forward to seeing the next piece :)

Harvey Ghesser
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
A very beautiful but also very surreal piece, John. Along with the shadowy coloring, I almost expect the man in the moon to become animated.

James Roberts
02-06-2012, 7:53 PM
WOW! What a cool piece. As usual your form and finish are exceptional and I love that color. The "Man in the Moon" really sets this piece off. Is there anything you don't do and do well?

Dick Strauss
02-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Maybe a little more fading from black back to blue is in store for your "man". The black moon rim going to blue in the face seems a little too stark when everything else fades from one to the other. I like your idea and it is extremely well exectuted.

Roland Martin
02-08-2012, 8:07 AM
You are a man of many talents, John. The blue dye on this form is as good as blue gets and the finish is excellent also. I would'nt change a thing with the man or the moon, a very unique departure from the standard finials. I very much like what you've done here and always anxiously await for the next phase in your remarkable art forms.