PDA

View Full Version : What looks like an awesome Band saw

mike wacker
02-04-2012, 9:03 PM
Trying to make a LONG story short, I friend of mine came into some large machinery. Concentrating on one piece, it is a 20 inch bandsaw. Manufacturer's name is Poitras. Name plate actually has the name Jos. Poitras & Fils LTE wit that funny umoute thing. A little Google work leads to a Canadian Foundary Company. On first blush it looks like a General. Can anyone lead us to more info. Saw is 99.95% there, missing only what I call a throat plate.

richard poitras
02-04-2012, 9:20 PM
I have heard that brand to be of good quality back in its day ……unlike some of the other Poitras :D

Van Huskey
02-04-2012, 9:27 PM
Poitras made excellent machines not the super heavy duty stuff but still excellent. The woodworking portion of the business was bought by General in the late 80's. I have never seen one of their 20" BS only the model 3500 24" ones. Look and/or ask on vintagemachinery.org (use to be OWWM.org) and you can get more info on the company and possibly the machine, maybe even dirty paper.

David Kumm
02-04-2012, 9:43 PM
OWWM.org is different than Vintagemachinery.org so check with both. owwm.org you can join and ask questions. Poitras was pretty good stuff and throat plates can be made so you should be good. Dave

Van Huskey
02-04-2012, 9:57 PM
OWWM.org is different than Vintagemachinery.org so check with both. owwm.org you can join and ask questions. Poitras was pretty good stuff and throat plates can be made so you should be good. Dave

I should have made the distinction but since they seperated you can still link to OWWM.org/com from vintagemachinery.org.

mike wacker
02-04-2012, 10:35 PM
My bad, It's a 24" machine

Van Huskey
02-04-2012, 10:41 PM
My bad, It's a 24" machine

Then it is most likely a 3500. Some pictures here: http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=642&tab=4