PDA

View Full Version : American Hornbeam

Jim Barrett
02-04-2012, 8:37 PM
I had a Hornbeam taken down on my property and now have a bunch of rounds and limbs that were cut up into ~ 2 foot lengths. I would like to use some of this for chisel handles...how should I proceed?

Jim

Steve Vaughan
02-04-2012, 9:19 PM
I'd coat the ends with anchorseal and stack it somewhere out of the weather and leave it until I need a handle. Pull a piece out and start turning it on the lathe. Don't know how hornbeam dries but I'd imagine it doesn't crack too bad.

Curt Fuller
02-04-2012, 10:37 PM
It seems like I remember American Hornbeam also being know as Ironwood. It should make great tool handles if it's what I think it is. You didn't mention the diameter of the logs but if I were going to use the wood for handles I'd saw a few of the logs into 2" x 2" boards removing the pith, anchorseal the ends, and stack them with stickers between them to air dry.

Dale Miner
02-04-2012, 10:50 PM
I've only turned a couple of pieces from Hornbeam, and don't remember if it was Hornbeam or Hop Hornbeam. Both pieces were bowls, and they cracked while turning. In fact, they cracked faster than the cracks could be turned away. The wood was fresh cut and throwing water.

If tools handles are your goal, I would saw it into 2" or 2.5" squares and coat the ends.