PDA

View Full Version : Rub this on your beef for the game and you will win

Bill Wyko
02-04-2012, 7:29 PM
This is a recipe for Beef Brisket. It is amazing, trust me. Rub this on your beef BBQ and your team might just win.

3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

Put this one on your Pork ribs or pork Butt and you'll think you're in heaven. This is my own recipe. Took a loooong time to perfect.

1/2c dark brown sugar
1/2c white sugar
1/2c paprika
1/3c garlic powder
1/4c onion flakes
1/2c kosher salt
1T chili powder
1T oregano
1tsp cayenne
1tsp ground cumin
1T ground black pepper
1T adobo

Mix well breaking up any lumps. Cover ribs thoroughly and give them a tap on the cutting board to leave an even coat. Refrigerate over night.
3-2-1 is next.
3 hours of smoke @ 180 degrees
2 hours in aluminum foil with 1/4 cup of apple juice or 2 ounces of water & 1 tablespoon of honey. Be sure to rap them up tightly.
1 hour @ 225 degrees on the grill.

Times and temp may vary depending on the size of the rack. This timing is for a big rack or 2. Cook until the meat has pulled about 1/4 inch away from the end of the bones. This is great on ribs, chicken, pork butts, even omelets and potatoes. Let me know if you enjoy that. Next time it'll be my sauce. A little more tweaking and I'll have the sauce perfected. Enjoy

I'm sorry but It must suck to be veegan.

Bruce Volden
02-04-2012, 7:42 PM
Bill,

Sounds great! How 'bout you coming out to SD and proving it!!!

As far as perfecting a recipe, I have a friend who does venison jerky----he's taken about 15 years and come up with PERFECTION. His recipe is hot and sweet (homemade wine and scotch bonnets) and like potato chips--you can't eat just one. Before I retired he would bring in 5#'s at a time and us maintenance guys would eat all day on it! Even the "I can't handle hot/spicy food" folks would pig out. A major food distributor offered to buy his recipe.

Anyway, I like to try ingredients out and with your permission (ha ha) will be sampling yours.

Bruce

Bill Wyko
02-04-2012, 8:02 PM
By all means, go for it. I make the ribs about every other week. Sometimes I make them when I get home from work. I throw them in, go out to the shop and work on turnings or humidors til 1 or 2 in the morning. Then I take them to work to share with my friends. Never a bone left. My poor friend Mike always shows up about 5 minutes late and misses out. He said we should save him some. The whole room started laughing.

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2012, 7:13 AM
Thanks Bill.!! I'll have to give this a try sometime.

Tim Morton
02-05-2012, 9:52 AM
Thanks, I am always looking for diy rub recipes!!

Doug W Swanson
02-05-2012, 8:07 PM
Thanks for sharing, Bill! Next time I'm in Phx I'm going to drive to Tuscon just to share in those ribs!

Ryan Mooney
02-05-2012, 8:35 PM
One trick I like for the brisket and tri-tip rubs is to add a pinch of ground up Lapsang souchong tea. It adds just a touch of smokey character and a little depth. This is especially nice around this time of year if you live in northern climes and its to frozen outside for the bbq and real smoke.

Bill Wyko
05-27-2012, 10:26 PM
BBQ time again. I'm making a Brisket using the above beef recipe. Give it a try if you like your beef with a little kick. It'll get seasoned tonight & in the smoker early tomorrow. Have a great Memorial day & God bless our troops and thank you for your service.

Bill Wyko
05-28-2012, 9:15 PM
Just pulled the Brisket off MMM MMMMMM good!!!! 10 hours in the Traeger pellet smoker @ 225 degrees. The trick to Brisket is to recognize the stall. The stall is when the connective tissue begins to break down. The meat starts to sweat (for a lack of better words) The juices start to rise to the surface of the meat and cause a cooling effect. At this point, around 150 to 160 degrees, the meats temp will stall. The temptation to turn up the heat is the exact wrong thing to do. Let it go, it can be 3 or 4 hours that the temp will only change by a few degrees, even as little as 2 or 3 degrees. Then it will eventually rise, cook it to 180 to 190. Then wrap it up in foil and a towel over the foil. Let it sit for 1/2 hr so it relaxes, then cut perpendicular to the grain 1/4" thick. Now sauce it up if you like, load up a bun and DIG IN!!!!:D:D:D:D

David Peterson MN
06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I smoked a brisket last night using your above rub recipe. It was mouth watering delicious! For anyone who likes to smoke brisket, definitely try this rub recipe. The brisket took 10hrs to smoke to just shy of 190 degrees.

Bill Wyko
06-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Fantastic!! Glad you enjoyed it. Try the pork when you get a chance, it's a sweeter tasting recipe.

David Peterson MN
06-21-2012, 2:18 AM
On Fathers Day, I smoked another brisket but also tried the rib rub on 2 racks which also turned out very good. Thanks again for sharing!

BOB OLINGER
06-25-2012, 4:23 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the recipes. Do you have a breakdown of the ingredients and their percentages for the adobo? Or do you buy this prepared? I may try your rub on July 4 so would like to get prepared.

Bill Wyko
07-01-2012, 2:14 PM
It's that time again. This time it'll be a pork butt. I'm off on mondays so it'll get rubbed tooday and smoked tomorrow. MMM-MMMMM good.

Lewis Ehrhardt
07-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Bill, just made a mix of your rub, smells good, looks good, can't wait to try it. I've got a pork shoulder in the fridge right now with it on it, (about ten pounds). How long do you think I should smoke it at 220? Thanks Lewis

Bill Wyko
07-29-2012, 6:01 PM
Sorry for the very late reply. I usually go until I get an interior temp of about 185 to 190 or around 1 hour per pound.