PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a couple of things at the KC WWing show.....

Terry Hatfield
02-04-2012, 7:16 PM
Really had a great time last weekend hanging out with my boys in KC and picked up a couple of things to boot. Waltco Tools had the smokin' deals of the show IMHO on 2 PC items that I just had to have.

First was the PC560 pocket hole system. This thing is super cool. It automatically adjusts to different wood thinknesses and once you set the collar on the bit, you never hve to move it no matter how thick or thin the wood is. The holespacing is also adjustable adn it uses a lever style quick clamp to secure the work piece. Very slick system indeed especailly after the mail in rebate they had it for $99.00.

I mounted it on a piece of 3/4 oak ply and whipped up a pair of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" oak side supports to help with an wide boards that I might want to use.

One thing that I didn't like is that the bit just sat in the holder on the jig and I was a bit leary of storing it there becasue it wasn't attached to the jig so I came up with a solution to keep it in place. I had some left over helicopter tape from putting some on my golf cart and I cut a piece and stuck it in the holder which now makes the bit very really snug and secure.

Made for a nice little setup for making some pocket holes. Seems like it will be much more user friendly than my old Kreg.

I also picked up the PC4212 dovetail jig. I had the old style PC and it was looking a little worse for the wear. Lots of cool features on the new one vs the old. This one does thru dovertails and box joints along with sliding dovetails. Much, much heavier duty in general than the old one with a much better setup overall. After the mail in rebate they had these for $109.00

I made a double thickness 3/4" oak ply base for it to make it easier to clamp it to my bench.

I had to do a bit of rearranging but they found a new home above the drill press on the side of the plywood strorage along with the thru dovetail template. All in all I was super pleased with the deal that we got on both of these!!!

Thanks for looking! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Terry

Van Huskey
02-04-2012, 7:19 PM
That is a couple of very good deals!

Terry Hatfield
02-04-2012, 7:25 PM
That is a couple of very good deals!

We actually saw the PC560 for $229.00 at Overland tool the same day we bought them at the show for $99. :D

BOB OLINGER
02-04-2012, 8:13 PM
Terry,

Can you provide some particulars on this show as I'm not familiar with it?

Thanks

Terry Hatfield
02-04-2012, 9:52 PM
Terry,

Can you provide some particulars on this show as I'm not familiar with it?

Thanks

I pretty much try and be at the one in KC every year. I have some very good friends that live in KC so it gives me an excellent excuse to see my buds and check out the new tools and pick up a few things as well. Seems someone always has a really good deal on something that I just have to bring home with me. Their seminars are pretty good as well.

http://thewoodworkingshows.com/

Ronald Blue
02-04-2012, 11:58 PM
St Louis(Collinsville Illinois) is next weekend. 2/10-12/2012 for anyone interested. I have become a faithful groupie to it.