PDA

View Full Version : Chopping Mortises

Jim Foster
02-04-2012, 5:39 PM
I chopped my first mortise in White Oak today, 3" x 1/2" x 1-1/4" deep. It's for the leg vise on my Roubo bench. It came out reasonably square and to size. Keeping the chips clear was the biggest challenge during the chopping, and I had a lot of trouble getting the bottom flat as I finished. I'm curious how others get the bottoms of blind mortises flat?

Bob Lang
02-04-2012, 5:44 PM
Why do you want the bottom flat, and how flat do you want it? If you chop to a consistent depth, and a bit deeper than the tenon you're good.

Bob Lang

Jim Foster
02-04-2012, 5:47 PM
Maybe it does not need to be flat after all.
Why do you want the bottom flat, and how flat do you want it? If you chop to a consistent depth, and a bit deeper than the tenon you're good.

Bob Lang

Jim Barrett
02-04-2012, 6:02 PM
No reason to be flat...just deep enough for your tenon and glue.

Jim

steven c newman
02-04-2012, 6:07 PM
IF you WANT it flat, you will need a special chisel for that job. Shank is curved. Slide it down to the bottom, the curve will help you scrape the bottom flat. Otherwise, if there is enough room for a tenon and some glue, you be fine.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2012, 7:53 PM
IF you WANT it flat, you will need a special chisel for that job.

As others have mentioned, if you are going to glue a tenon into it, you want a bit more room and it doesn't matter that the bottom isn't flat.

If you are installing a lock into the mortise where a flat bottom may be wanted, then a special chisel, called a lock mortise chisel or a swan neck chisel, is the tool.

See one by clicking here. (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com//Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=EE-500-21.XX&Category_Code=)

jtk

Jim Matthews
02-04-2012, 8:44 PM
I was under the impression that the cheeks of the tenon provide the long grain glue surface. Unless the tenon is wedged, the exposed endgrain can't provide much bonding strength.

Jim Neeley
02-04-2012, 9:05 PM
You are correct, Jim M. This is the eighth post and I'm the fifth Jim.. Sheesh! :-)

Jim Foster
02-04-2012, 9:15 PM
After reading all the comments, I have to agree, I was assuming that there might be a quick step to get them pretty flat at the bottom, but I will just focus on getting the depth a little deeper than the tenons and let practice improve my efforts.

Terry Beadle
02-05-2012, 2:14 PM
I use very lite little chopping strokes with the chisel when I get to the bottom. Then I use my Japanese bottom cleaning chisel to put the cuttings out and scrape the bottom fairly smooth.