PDA

View Full Version : Flotsam

Johnny Taylor
02-04-2012, 3:53 PM
Elm hollow form, heavily textured to to look like it has been afloat for a very long time, perhaps cast upon the sea by some ancient hand.......
The large(ish) size plinth for the piece is to represent the ocean, its size is to allow the form to look afloat with a sense of being in a vast sea. The opening looked wrong perfectly round so I have very slightly took it out of perfect roundness which I feel suits the textured gold opening better.
Comments and critiques welcomed

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/flotsom018small.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/flotsom008.jpg

Doug W Swanson
02-04-2012, 3:55 PM
I love it! But then I've always been very impressed with your work!

charlie knighton
02-04-2012, 3:56 PM
very nice....

Johnny Taylor
02-04-2012, 4:00 PM
Doug, Charlie, thanks. I forgot to add in the description that a small flat has been sanded on the part that lays on the plinth to ensure that the form always sits at the correct angle, doesn't move around and most importantly looks like it is in the 'water'.

Scott Hackler
02-04-2012, 4:01 PM
Extra nice piece Johnny. Is the form permanently affixed to the base?

Johnny Taylor
02-04-2012, 4:06 PM
Thanks Scott. The form just sits on the base, I may attach it later but haven't finished fiddling around with its position yet......lol

Eric Holmquist
02-04-2012, 4:14 PM
Great job on achieving the weathered effect on some ancient vessel.

I'm curious why you did not turn a recess in the plinth for the hollow form to rest in rather than putting a flat on the hollow form.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-04-2012, 4:17 PM
Great texture, Johnny. Is the inside black or just look like that. It adds to the effect greatly.
faust

Johnny Taylor
02-04-2012, 4:32 PM
Eric,thanks, the answer to your question is simply that I wasn't sure exactly where I wanted to position the form, centrally is not always best and the small flat lets me move it about and insures it is always orientated the way I intended.

Faust, thanks and yes the inside is coloured matt black.

David DeCristoforo
02-04-2012, 5:31 PM
Really like the form... not too keen on the base. For me, it competes. I would love to see a pic without the base.

Baxter Smith
02-04-2012, 6:29 PM
Neat form and texture. The base matches, but perhaps too well since I tend to feel similar to David about it competing with the form for my attention.(At least when looking at just a picture)

Ken Glass
02-04-2012, 6:45 PM
Johnny,
The HF is wonderful, but I have to agree with the two previous posts about the base. It seems to pull my attention away form the HF and I would rather focus on the form itself. The technique for both the form and base is quite amazing though, so I feel bad for not liking them together ..... Well done for your imagination and creativity.

John Keeton
02-04-2012, 9:12 PM
Johnny, I, too, love the form and the concept, but would prefer less base. Great work, and the form is super!

Steve Vaughan
02-04-2012, 9:16 PM
Love it as is. The whole thing works for me. I just keep looking at it over and over. It's a wonderful creative piece.

John Spitters
02-04-2012, 9:18 PM
WoW! very nice I like it.

John

David E Keller
02-04-2012, 11:54 PM
That's cool, Johnny! I can see what the others have mentioned about the base, but I also like the 'tension' created between the two dissimilar textures. I think it's a really nice, tactile piece!