PDA

View Full Version : Split nut saw and miter boxes....

Dan Carroll
02-04-2012, 1:01 PM
I was just over at a house that a someone is clearing out for an individual that is going into a nursing home. In the shop was a panel saw, with split nuts and stamped into the p[late is a curved mark 'Henry Disston'. From what I know, that makes it a very early saw. The guy was using it and had put wax over the plate, rust and all so I could not read any etch if any was present. I told the lady doing the clean out not to put it in with the other tools. I would like to make her a fair offer on the saw and I don't want to take advantage of anyone here. In small towns, things tend to come back to haunt you, no matter wha the ethics are of a case.

She also had 4 old miter boxes with saws. The guy used them in his clock making and all four of them were sharp and in good condition. One was a Miller Falls, one a Stanely Rule and Level, one was completely unmarked and forth was Stanely Works. Any thoughts what a fair offer there might be? I told her point out that I was thinking of buiying all four, keeping one and selling the others with the intent of being a dollar or two ahead at the end of the day. ANy input would be great. She has someone coming to bid on all the tools in the next few days, so I have to move quickly.

Tony Zaffuto
02-04-2012, 6:55 PM
Wouldn't wager a guess on the panel saw without further knowledge, but around rural PA, quite a few old miter boxes still come up for sale at flea markets and once in a while at antique malls. Speaking only of miter boxes that are not trashed and include the saw, I've seen some for as low as $20.00 and one for $75.00. With the saws, I would start with an offer of $100 and go to, maybe, $150 for all 4. Question is, why do you want all 4? If you have someone local to sell a couple to is one thing, but if you offer those on "Swap & Sale", shipping can be pricey (and dicey, since the cast iron is fragile).

Dan Carroll
02-04-2012, 8:04 PM
Good point about the shipping. They are different sizes, and my though was to figure out which size worked best for me and then sell the others in a few months. On the split nut saw, I am thinking that I ought to refer her to someone that has a lot more knowledge than I do to get an appraisal. I am a user, not so much a collector and if the info I got on the Disstonian Instute web site is correct, then the saw could be as early as the 1850's and that is something I would not want to have around and use. But she should not put in the bulk sale and take a $1.00 for like she was planning.

Jim Neeley
02-04-2012, 9:13 PM
Dan,

A little free advice, and worth every penny I charge!

You indicated the guy was into clockmaking, all of the miter saws were sharp and in good condition. You also said the panel saw was covered in Wax, a protective surface. I'm not a saw guru (hence my low rate for advice) but if I ran into someone who had cared enough about their tools to wax them, I'd look very closely as this may be a treasure trove. Perhaps not a lot of $$$, but likely some good "working tools".

As far as being concerned about the panel saw's age, don't be. Those saws were designed to be *used* and (baring some museum-quality example, perhaps) the best thing for them is for them to get into the hands of someone who will continue to use and care for them.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim

Dan Carroll
02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I intend to take advantage to the extent my pocket allows.

Gary Herrmann
02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Go for the Miller Falls. The panel saw - unless you want it for collecting, later saws are just as good.

You didn't state the size or model, but if the MF is in good shape, you could got as high as $40 and it would still be a good deal.