PDA

View Full Version : RAS - Need advice

lloyd anderson
02-04-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm looking to buy an older 12" RAS. I've found two Dewalts in the local CL. Any advice from the RAS elite here as to which one would be more useful? I've researched over at OWVM but donn't find an exact match, espeically on the older Dewalt. There's no model # even close to what's shown on the saw equipment badge.

Advice away!

Alan Schwabacher
02-04-2012, 12:56 PM
I am not an expert, but I can tell you that the older "round arm" saws are universally considered to be excellent saws. Some of the square arm saws are also good, but if the ways on the round arm saw you show are smooth, the parts are all there, and the price is reasonable, that one looks good. The reason the part number does not match anything is that the number shown is for the motor, not the saw.

I don't think I can provide a link, but searching on the Old WoodWorking Machines forum for "Dewalt RAS hall of fame" will pull up an extensive discussion of which Dewalt saws are best for what. From the photos on the companion website, it looks like the older saw you show is probably a GP. It looks different from some because it has the optional slotted extra blade guard.

Timothy Wolf
02-04-2012, 1:12 PM
Don't get one made out of sheet metal. The older one is nice if all the parts are there and if you are able to work on older machines to bring them up to par, otherwise you could look for a newer Delta/Rockwell turrent arm Like I have and not have to deal with a 60 year old saw, (unless that is your thing of course).

lloyd anderson
02-04-2012, 1:19 PM
Yea...that's what I was thinking also. I haven't seen either of these yet so I'm only going on what the OP has shared.

If anyone belongs to OWVM and wants to croos post please do. I've joined their site but haven't been admin approved to post yet.

Can anyone guess what model the older DW might be? The post says circa 1942.

The post on newer DW say it's a 1531 type 1, serial # 515218. Maybe late 60's? Again didn't find it at OWVM.

Neither of these is close by so I want to do as much research before I spend gas and time driving to visit.

Alan Schwabacher
02-04-2012, 1:39 PM
There is a photo of a T-1531 from 1970 on the vintagemachinery site, the companion to the OWWM website. The 1531 looks like the newer saw you posted. The older one looks like a GP: see my edit above.

Mark Ashmeade
02-04-2012, 2:20 PM
What do you want the RAS for? 12" seems to be in the CMS range to me. There is little that a RAS can do in that size range that a CMS can't do. Cutting dadoes and grooves is the main one.

However, if you step up in size on the RAS, the SCMS can't do any of it. I have a Delta long arm RAS and a Bosch CMS. The RAS is nowhere near as accurate as the Bosch in the small cuts range, and is much more of a task to set up. However, the RAS can crosscut 29" and rip 40-something inches. The Bosch can't even think about that. Also, the bigger RAS's have more powerful motors, another angle to run with, if you cut thicker hardwoods.

Personally, if I had to have one or the other, I'd go with a CMS in that size/power range. If I already had a CMS, I would not bother with a RAS in the same size range, but certainly would value a large RAS. The long arm Deltas can crosscut nearly as much as some table saws can rip! I'd the think the big DeWalts would be in the same range.

If there's none about this week, don't worry. They come up one or two a month on my local CL (ATL). Craftsman 10" are 2 or 3 a day, but they're at a very different level.

Good luck.

Matt Day
02-04-2012, 2:49 PM
I have basically the same RAS as the "newer" one shown in your pictures on the left. It's a 7790 labeled B&D/Dewalt. Great saw, just a bit underpowered for thick hardwoods.

lloyd anderson
02-04-2012, 3:41 PM
Mark - The reason for the RAS is to be able to cut deeper stock than my 10" table saw allows. I have both a Kapex and a Delta 12" slider but they won't cross cut past 12/14".

I'm replacing some corbels on my 100 year old house and they are 22" x 5" x 3". My table saw won't quite cut a full 4x4, which requires me to flip the piece to finish the cut. My stock for the corbels start as 4"x6" material.

Now I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 12" TS but that's generally going to be more expensive than finding a used RAS.

You do have a point that a 14" RAS would span a bigger capacity gap but I've been seeing most 14" RAS's with three phase power. Really don't want to go there if I don't need to. I have seen some of the RAS's listed as 12"/14" and still be in the single phase world. Maybe that would be a better option.

Myk Rian
02-04-2012, 8:12 PM
The model numbers are on tags attached to the columns.
If you really want the lowdown on DeWalt RASs, head on over to the DeWalt forums @ http://forums.delphiforums.com/woodbutcher/start?lgnJR=1 although Kentaroo frequents these forums.

Bob Wingard
02-04-2012, 9:53 PM
Send me an email address at ...

b.wingard@charter.net

and I'll send you a .pdf file that lists all of the features of just about every saw DeWalt ever made.

lloyd anderson
02-05-2012, 2:05 AM
Thanks Bob. Sent you an email.

Send me an email address at ...

b.wingard@charter.net

and I'll send you a .pdf file that lists all of the features of just about every saw DeWalt ever made.

Jim Andrew
02-05-2012, 8:53 AM
Those old Dewalts are brutes. I knew a guy who had one mounted on a car trailer, and used it to cut short pieces for framing. Moved it from job to job and got a lot of work done with it. He even ran a groove in his feisha for the edge of his soffit panels with it.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-05-2012, 1:15 PM
Lloyd
If it's going to be a Dewalt RAS go with the older Round top Arm models other then AMF Dewalt 12" 7790 model. Rockwell also made a good RAS. There is also the Comet line but parts hard to come by. Just stay away from Craftsman, Wards and Black and Decker/Dewalt (they also made the 7790 under there name good saw used the AMF arm) IIRC. Here are some Craigslist posting near you. Tom
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/2826416241.html
http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/tls/2788721560.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2817641103.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/2817611552.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/2825181221.html
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/tls/2793824167.html
above is 3 phase in Vancouver
http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/2795641543.html

lloyd anderson
02-05-2012, 2:25 PM
Thanks Tom

Have inquired about the 14" Delta. It's a three phase, 5hp. I'm not set up for three phase. I've heard that buying a VFD or static converter can cost as much as the saw.

I think the GE models would be to large (shop in basement). The GA model might be the largest I can accomodate (always a challange to get heavy/bulky things in to the basement, usually I need to partially disassemble).

Did you see the older Dewalt on CL listed in Kelso? I might take a drive today to go see it.

Also sent an email to the CL lister who has the portable Delta, asking for a model #. DO you think that model could be mounted to a permanent work table?

Thanks for your help.

BTW, I live in N Portland.

Lloyd

Thomas Hotchkin
02-05-2012, 5:41 PM
Lloyd
I do not see a listing for the Kelso saw Model # he posted (WMM1H1) on OWWM.org web page. It looks more like this saw is a 9" http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=5608 most 12" Dewalt's are a true 2 HP or more, and draw more then 14 amps. GE's came in two models one was early on all cast iron with a short arm use as todays chops saw, 200 pounds (easy to move around) the other model came with two or three different arm lengths IIRC. There are some other big Dewalts that pop up on Portland's CList from time to time. One is a GE 3 phase that Port Portland sold for $150.. the buyer was asking $400 last time I saw it. Most of the GE are old enough they are going to need some work Are you up to that? There are more good Dewalts for sale on delphi and OWWM sites then Crigslist. Sent you a PM with phone number good luck looking. Tom

lloyd anderson
02-07-2012, 1:16 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions. I ended up getting a Dewalt GP, circa 1940. It's in great shape.222937222938

Dave Norris
02-07-2012, 7:38 PM
I think that's actually a form of what Dewalt called a Moto Miter Box, as the base is not a traditional base. I think this was intended to go on 2 x 4 or similar "arms" and be carried about by several stout fellows. "Portable" meant something different back then I guess. GP is a good saw. As I've said before, the Dewalt is a vastly underrated machine and is tremendously misunderstood. And usually abused by folks who don't understand them, and then maligned for being unsafe.

Good clean-up and adjustment and it will outperform much if not all of what is available today, and I would offer just about any SCMS available. Take some time with it and you will very happy with what it does. You made a good choice.

If you search "Moto Miter Box" at owwm you will find some info on it, and those folks over there are the best.

Thomas Hotchkin
02-08-2012, 12:34 AM
Lloyd
Great find, hope it work well for you. That model is the most rigid of all the Dewalt, all cast iron. Tom