PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Filling Checks & Knots

andy brumenschenkel
02-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I am just starting the joinery on a reclaimed oak desk, this will be a 2.5" thick top with 4" square posts. It will be a pretty rustic piece as the reclaimed oak is in pretty rough shape in some places.
I posted here because this will be my first project with M&T using hand tools. I have used 2 part epoxy with a powdered black dye to fill checks before. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a filler? Any preference on a black filler or stay clear?

Thanks

Todd Burch
02-04-2012, 11:39 AM
My preference is usually black. The local audience I have here (SWMBO) would freak out if any color I was using in the house wasn't beige or otherwise neutral.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2012, 1:16 PM
I usually save sawdust from the wood I am working and mix that with clear epoxy to hide the glue lines.

Mostly I use the crosscut sawdust since the rip saw dust has bigger chunks.

jtk

Greg Wease
02-04-2012, 2:19 PM
I also prefer black because it looks more natural than clear. I add a few drops of Transtint dye to slow-cure epoxy. This allows more time for air bubbles to evacuate before curing. Fill proud of the surface and scrape rather than sanding flush after it dries.

jeff . whitaker
02-04-2012, 8:26 PM
CA with a bit of lamp black... or go with the clear...it tends to blend in and be a bit harder to see with the finish

Terry Beadle
02-05-2012, 2:18 PM
Turners use used coffee grounds, dried, and some times ground finer. Mixed with ebony saw dust and I doubt you can get a blacker fill material.

Mix with glue or epoxy. Over fill the hole(s). Wait 24 hours for full catalization of the glue. Planes, chisels, scrapers and sand paper to finish.

Ryan Griffey
02-05-2012, 8:48 PM
I started using graphite powder/epoxy while building kayaks. A large container is fairly cheap. I now use it for furniture work. It is very fine and black.