PDA

View Full Version : Can only buy 1 festool sander -- which one?

Thomas Walker
03-18-2005, 2:46 PM
I'm looking to replace an old PC ROS that I use for almost all my sanding. I have a decent belt sander for construction projects and a 6" PC angle sander with adhesive disk that I rarely use. I already have a Festool vac. I have a joiner, planer and planes to do rough prep.

I was originally thinking of the ES 125, but it seems like almost everyone goes with the ETS 150.

I've done a lot of research from past posts and I'm thinking that the best combination would be a ETS 150/3 and a RO 125.

But I can only afford one sander, and there's only a 20% chance I'll ever buy another one.

What Festool sander do you recommend someone purchase first?

Thanks.

Jim Becker
03-18-2005, 2:54 PM
As a replacement for the PC ROS, the RO 125 can actually be quite compelling because it does the ROS thing really well and also provides a means for more agressive sanding and other "roundy-roundy" activities. If you are ok with the 5" media (and you're already used to it) it's a good solution in the Festool line. I went with the combination of a 150/3 and the RO 150. But honestly, I use the 150/3 "most" of the time and only pull out the Rotex for when I truly need it's more agressive ability. I also "one-hand" my sanding a lot and the smaller tool is more comfortable for "me"...the RO 125 is likely better in that respect, too, if you have smaller hands or wrists that get tired easy.

Frank Pellow
03-18-2005, 2:55 PM
The Rotex 150. That was my first random orbital sander of any kind. It is very very good for aggressive work (for me, much better than a belt sander) and pretty good for finer work. I could have manged with just that sander.

But, I should warn you that I did not stop at 1. I liked the first one so much that I soon purchased the Duplex 130 linear sander and the Deltex 93 detail sander.

JayStPeter
03-18-2005, 4:06 PM
I got an ETS150/5 a while ago. It has replaced a tired, but still functional PC 333VS. The /5 variant is supposed to be more agressive than the /3 variant, but I find it pretty nice to use for everything. I rarely turn the dial down. I like the feel and lack of vibration of the ETS relative to the PC. I also like the larger sanding surface. It helps to keep surfaces flatter. I have learned that the parts to convert from /5 to /3 can be gotten from Festool for <$30. I may do that if I ever decide to get a RO150.
I disagree that an ETS150 and RO125 combination are ideal. The ETS150 and RO150 would be better as they share discs.

But, for just one sander, I chose the ETS150/5. I feel like I chose correctly.

Jay

Steve Swinton
03-18-2005, 5:40 PM
Tom,

I have the 150/3 with the mini dust extractor and am extremely pleased with it. I use 100 grit to take care of the rough sanding and 180 for the fine. Works like a charm and there is NO DUST. I wish I had gotten it when they first came out.
Good luck,
Steve

Sam Blasco
03-18-2005, 5:49 PM
I've got the 150/3 and the Rotex 150. Got the Rotex first, thinking if I could only get one, that would be more versatile. However, I was not happy with it as a finish sander and since most of my work is geared to fine sanding and not aggressive sanding the 150/3 is the one I use 90% of the time. Just ask yourself what you are going to be doing with it most, not necessarily whether one sander can do double duty, then make a decision. If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the 150/3 if I could only afford one.
That said, I love the Rotex. It is easier to contral than a belt sander for the rough stuff and not as prone to gouge the wood. And it is excellent as a polisher for solid surface and granite tops with progressive buffing and polishing compounds and the different finishing wheels they make for it. Lighter and easier to control than my Milwaukee.
So, is it finish sanding, better palm sanding capabilities, or versatility you are after?
Both will be a huge improvement over your previous ROS, unless it was a Fein or Metabo, then it would just be an improvement.
Have fun storming the castle.

Per Swenson
03-18-2005, 6:01 PM
I also purchased the rotex 150 first, as already stated this is a great
machine. If I could only have one this would be it.
But don't worry, as soon as you try any festool, you will
be able to justify another one.
Per

Dave Avery
03-19-2005, 1:55 PM
I have the big Rotex and don't think I need anything else.