PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendation for Lightweight Cordless Drill

Mike Henderson
02-03-2012, 10:20 PM
My cordless tools are all DeWalt 18V units - because of the batteries, you're sort of forced to stay with one brand. I've been happy with the DeWalt units but now, I'd like to get a compact, light weight drill. Dewalt has the DCD710 (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCD710S2-12-Volt-8-Inch-Driver/dp/B0043XX87W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328325012&sr=8-1)which is okay, but if I'm going to change battery form factors, there's no reason to stick with DeWalt if there's something better out there.

What do you recommend? I want a drill but I'd take a driver if there's a chuck that comes with it. I might even consider buying a set of hex shank bits if a driver is lots better - what do you say? I'm looking for light weight and compact (short) to get into tight places.

Mike

Craig Michael
02-03-2012, 10:30 PM
The m12 series from Milwaukee is excellent. The drills and impacts are great and they have a large array of other tools.

Rob Sack
02-03-2012, 10:32 PM
I have Bosch, Milwaukee, and Dewalt 12V cordless drill and drivers. They all work fine. Although I have never been a big fan of Dewalt tools, I think I like the Dewalt 12V series the best. the nice thing about Milwaukee is that they have a battery life indicator, which comes in handy. Maybe mine was a fluke, but one of my Milwaukee 12V screw guns needed repair for a bad trigger not long after I got it. Although, it was repaired under warranty, Milwaukee is now owned by the parent company of Home Depot and Ryobi. Enough said.

Van Huskey
02-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Picking from the usual suspects in the 12V range I would pick the Dewalt, I really like their 12v line BUT I would not have a hard time living with the Milwaukee either. In all honesty if I wanted a good compact cordless drill/driver I would look HARD at the new Festool CXS it is just the best small drill/driver I have put my hands on.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Mike....I had a similar predicament last year. I ended up with an 18V Makita.....both driver and drill, 2 batteries and fastcharger. I found them on sale at HD. I really appreciated it last fall. With potential winter weather and an upcoming surgery staring me in the face, I had to remove the metal roof from our patio, replace the facia and soffit on the shed to which the roof is attached and then reinstall the metal roof. Most of the time I used the drill to reinstall the metal roof on 2 x 4 rafters but for that part that was installed in close quarters under the soffit of the shed, the compact driver worked like a charm. I have been quite happy with both tools. They came as a set.

Joe Vincent 63
02-03-2012, 10:46 PM
I have owned the Milwaukee, Makita, and Dewalt. Gave the others away as gifts. Still have and love the Dewalt. It sits upright, has great power, and just feels right in my hands. Loved the battery indicator on the Milwaukee though.

No longer use the 18v except in extreme situations. The dewalt has plenty of power for anything I need.

Not a diehard Dewalt buyer, just really like this drill (set). LED Flashlight is awesome as well. Never tried the Festool, so can't comment on it.

Joe

Mike Henderson
02-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Okay, thanks everyone for your recommendations. But one more question - would you buy a drill or a driver (such as this one (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF610S2-12-Volt-4-Inch-Screwdriver/dp/B0043XX872/ref=pd_sim_hi_7))? The driver is a bit shorter and less expensive. I can buy hex shank drill bits and use it as a drill or put driver bits in to use it as a screwdriver.

Also, I think someone makes a chuck that fits a driver so I could have a chuck if I needed it.

Mike

Cary Falk
02-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I had some Lowe's gift cards at Christmas so I got a 12v Bosch drill and impact. I have been a Makita fan for some time now, but I am really liking the Bosch. They have enough power for normal stuff in the shop, have good battery life and charge quickly. You can't drive 3.5" screws all day long like my 14.4v Makita but they are small, light and feel good in my hand. You probably can't go wrong with, Milwaukee, Makita, or Bosch. I have heard too many stories bad stories about DeWalt coordless that I probably wouldn't go that route but if you are happy with yours then I don't see any reason not to go that way.

Cary

Matt Ellis
02-03-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't post much, but whatever you do, do NOT buy the ridgid variant from Home Depot. I bought the 18v Li-ion drill and impact last year to replace my Bosch 18v Ni-Cad whose batteries finally gave up the ghost. I like the way it felt in my hand, and the lifetime guarantee was really appealing, since it covers the batteries too. The newer generation has a battery indicator and LED's that light the chuck when the trigger is depressed too.

I have been using both pretty heavily in finish out my shop. I've driven about 1/2 a pail of 3" screws and about 2/3 of a pail of 1 5/8" screws in the process. The battery life (1.5 amp hours) is very poor. I hung 4 sheets of OSB tonight (~125 1 5/8" screws anchoring OSB to white pine studs) and completely discharged a full battery. When I popped it onto the charger, it started flashing as a defective pack. I took it off, inserted it again, and it charged properly, but I suspect it is on its way out...at 5 months of age.

The other thing that turned out to be pretty disappointing was the amount of run out that Ridgid says is acceptable. It is impossible to start a 3" screw because of the wobble of the impact's chuck with out the use of one of those extendable screw holders whose body can be pulled up around the screw. I asked about this on the Ridgid forum, and was ridiculed as a dumb engineer that did not know how to use tools. How helpful.

I guess we're going to see how good the lifetime warranty is. Frankly, I wish I would have bought the Makita kit Ken mentioned.

Ole Anderson
02-04-2012, 12:01 AM
I went with the 18v PC Li-Ion combo drill and impact driver. Very lightweight compared to my old 14 volt Dewalt XLT. Only downside is that you really have to reef on the drill chuck to get it tight enough so it doesn't loosen while using it. Even so, it has become my go-to drill. And I have a set of smaller hex shaft drills that get a lot of use in the impact driver drilling screw pilot holes. The small batteries don't have a huge run time, but they make the drill or driver very light.

Dan Rude
02-04-2012, 12:08 AM
I chose the Milwaukee M12 family, they have the most tools for the same platform. I even bought the Heavy Duty 12XC battery, now my tools stand up like the other brnads and go a long time. If you want a driver the compact driver does its job very well it's my goto driver for pocket holes. The problem is speed, it can drill but it is slow. I bought one of the Drill kits during a special buy and got the 12 Volt hammer Drill, impact driver and multi-tool for $200. Hope this helps.

Dan

William Nimmo
02-04-2012, 12:12 AM
I have owned many and would say for sure Festool out shines the others and then next is Panasonic. No one ever talks about panasonic,
the Festool csx is priced right too.

Clay Crocker
02-04-2012, 12:45 AM
I have been using the Panasonic 15.6V drills for years and have been very happy. I just recently bought a Festool CSX with the right angle chuck, wow talk about light and compact. Still use the Panasonic for the heavier jobs, but I will be using the CSX for everything else.

Rick Potter
02-04-2012, 1:37 AM
Mike,

I also have the M12 Milwaukee. Drill, driver, screwgun, angle drill. If you can only get one, I would get the drill. Please note they have two drills now, one is a regular drill, the newer one is also a hammer drill. I strongly recommend you get the two piece set with drill and impact driver.

Yes, they do have a drill chuck that fits impact drivers, I got mine at HD, by Makita, about $25. Never used it yet.

Do not waste your money on the screwgun, it is way too slow. EDIT: This is the one Bill Huber really likes. It is called a screwgun, and I think it runs way too slow for a drill. It's ok for screws, but all of them are ok for screws. Different strokes, Bill.

Rick Potter

PS: I was at HD a few days ago, and they had ONE combo pack with the driver, and the drill for $199. Probably left over from Christmas.

Craig McCormick
02-04-2012, 6:59 AM
In our business we are using the Bosch 12v line. Were now up to 5 tools and love them.

Craig McCormick

Joe Vincent 63
02-04-2012, 7:07 AM
Most definitely the drill. I also agree with the others to go with the combo.

Joe

Okay, thanks everyone for your recommendations. But one more question - would you buy a drill or a driver (such as this one (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF610S2-12-Volt-4-Inch-Screwdriver/dp/B0043XX872/ref=pd_sim_hi_7))? The driver is a bit shorter and less expensive. I can buy hex shank drill bits and use it as a drill or put driver bits in to use it as a screwdriver.

Also, I think someone makes a chuck that fits a driver so I could have a chuck if I needed it.

Mike

Steve Griffin
02-04-2012, 9:46 AM
Bosch 12V have preformed perfectly for several years of hard use. Let me put it this way--if these gave up the ghost today, I'd feel like I totally got my money's worth and buy new ones.

The stand up feature of the Dewalts would be appealing though. I suppose they are little less comfortable reaching into small spaces, but I know I'd prefer standing them up around the workbench instead a laying them down like the bosch.

Steve Griffin
02-04-2012, 9:49 AM

Mike

Most definitely the impact driver.

This is where these little tools really shine, and drilling can be done with your more powerful cordless or plugins.

But really, you need to buy the combo!

Alan Lightstone
02-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I have both the Milwaukee and the Bosch. The Milwaukee is the one I use the most, but the batteries are crap. The Bosch seems much better made. I couldn't live without the torque settings for an everyday drill.

I use a Bosch 36V LiOn Hammer Drill as my go to drill. It's a beast, but won't fail at any task. I can't imagine working with it overhead all day, though.

Bill Huber
02-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I have both the Milwaukee and the Bosch. The Milwaukee is the one I use the most, but the batteries are crap. The Bosch seems much better made. I couldn't live without the torque settings for an everyday drill.

It is funny, if you take the batteries apart, the Bosch, Ridgid and the Milwaukee they are all the same batteries inside. I have taken all 3 apart and found this, they are wired a little different but that is it, the batteries are all the same with the same part number on them and are made in Canada.

Bill Huber
02-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I have had the Bosch and now have the Milwaukee and really could see no difference in the way they worked. The thing I did find was the features.

The Milwaukee has a quick chuck on the drill which I really like and a battery indicator on the side. The impact driver just has the battery indicator and does not have the quick chuck.

I now just have the Milwaukee drill and impact driver.

This is the drill, what I really like is the 1/4" chuck, pull it out and it stays out, put the new bit in and it snaps closed makes for a one handed operation.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordless-tools/drilling-and-fastening/screwdrivers/m12-cordless-lithium-ion-screwdriver/2401-22

This is the impact driver I have, it does not have the neat cluck on it but I don't have to change out the drivers that much so it is not a real problem.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordless-tools/drilling-and-fastening/impact-drivers/m12-cordless-lithium-ion-1-4-inch-hex-impact-driver/2450-22

I have the small batteries in both, for my needs I don't want a big drill or driver, I want something that is small. I put the correct bit in the drill for the screws I will be using and the correct drive for the screws and go to it, drill the holes, drive the screws.

Jim Finn
02-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I have a Makita driver(6903vd) that I bought in 2000 and I use it almost every day. It is light weight and I use quick release drill bits in it. It is a 9.4 volt Nicad battery pack and it is strong enough to break off a 3/8" bolt! I finaly had to have a battery pack rebuilt here locally and it cost me $22.

Van Huskey
02-04-2012, 11:36 AM
If you decide on the Milwaukee you might check this maybe a freebie:

http://p1.hostingprod.com/@tools-plus.com/rebates/MLW/m12-bare-tool-mir-q1-2012.pdf

Paul Wunder
02-04-2012, 1:15 PM
Mike,

I have the Milwaukee M12 driver. Very lightweight, good power and chuck and fast recharge. All in a sensible canvas case. I am very pleased. I have driven 3" deck screws with it into 40 year old studs without complaint. I also have have a standard size PC Drill/driver (14.4). I reach for the Milwaukee more and more

Von Bickley
02-04-2012, 1:29 PM
Mike,

I have the Makita 10.8 volt combo kit and it works GREAT......

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LCT203W-10-8-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Two-Piece/dp/B001DNMUZG

Terry Beadle
02-04-2012, 1:43 PM
I bought the Milwaukee 3/8ths chuck. It has drill, screw, and hammer settings on the single unit. A little over $150. Comes with two batteries and quick charger.

Lots of folks recommend the Makita as being the best. This may be true.

However, after two months of use, I'm really pleased with my Milwaukee. Lots of power. 3 inch screw in red oak no problem. I too like the battery indicator on the side. It also has a LED that lights up when you pull the trigger and it's surprised me in how helpful it is with these older eyes.

I too was temped by the HD brand drill with the life time warranty on the batteries. It just didn't fit my hand as well and I've had a great experience with the Milwaukee D-handle router I bought 4 years ago.

I think you can't go wrong selecting either the Makita or the Milwaukee. My other drill is a 14.4v Ryobi and it's still going strong except for the two batteries that came with it. I've used it for about 8 years. I bought a replacement battery at HD for $32 and it has brought new life to the drill. Having both ready to work is very handy. Drill bit in one and counter sink in the other...cake and eat it too! Hoot!

Alan Lightstone
02-04-2012, 2:03 PM
It is funny, if you take the batteries apart, the Bosch, Ridgid and the Milwaukee they are all the same batteries inside. I have taken all 3 apart and found this, they are wired a little different but that is it, the batteries are all the same with the same part number on them and are made in Canada.
Interesting. My Bosch batteries last forever, and the Milwaukees are frequently failing. Lot's of people on Amazon's website dis the Milwaukee batteries too.

Bill White
02-04-2012, 2:08 PM
I have the Makita 18v L-ion. So far, so good. Of course, right after I bought it, the impact/driver kit was selling for just a little more than just the drill. Oh well.....
Bill

Tom Esh
02-04-2012, 4:58 PM
I have that 12V DeWalt DCD710 you mentioned. No complaints, no issues. Great for light to medium duty use. Decent clutch too. Unlike some the lower settings are actually useful with smaller fasteners. I bought the 3pc combo with the drill, impact, and screwdriver. I really like the balance and form factor on these better than the battery-in-fat-handle types.

Ryan Baker
02-04-2012, 7:29 PM
The 12V Max Dewalt units are by FAR the best ones out there in that class. Most comfortable to use, most powerful, and close to the least expensive. The Milwaukee unit feels like a brick in comparison. You would definitely be best off to get the drill/impact driver kit instead of just the drill -- it is about the same price on discount. At Christmas time, I found the kit and an extra battrey for exactly the same price as the drill alone.

BOB OLINGER
02-04-2012, 8:09 PM
I needed to replace my 14 V DeWalt a couple months ago. I purchased the Makita combo 18 V Lithium at what I thought was a good deal online. The light weight combined with power is a pleasant improvement. I never had an impact driver before, but it is a great tool. I can't compare to other brands, but I am very well satisfied. My suggestion is a combo (top priority to whatever brand you end up with).

William Burgess
02-04-2012, 8:19 PM
I have the 12v Max Dewalt, I would spend the little extra cash and get the DCK211S2 as it has the drill/driver and impact driver. I personally did not like the form factor for the Bosch/M12 and preferred the dewalt style. You may want to go to your local HD and try out the m12 vs the dewalt see which feels better.

Bruce Wrenn
02-04-2012, 10:35 PM
About five years ago, I bought my first Ridgid 12 V LI drill. I now own five (one was stolen.) I signed all up for the LSA, and have gotten two sets of FREE batteries ( a real selling point to me. But I use my every day in my business. I put a years worth of hobbiest wear on mine every month.

mike wacker
02-04-2012, 10:51 PM
I went with the Milwaukee m12 system for my "small" cordless tool combo. Bullet proof. On a "help Mom and Dad out" week end with out the full complement of tools, ie not 18v or corded tools, I tortured my driver. Used 4 batteries, two chargers to continuosly drive deck screws. Ocasionally stopped to put the driver in the Freezer when it became too hot to hold. Not ideal, had to get it done, hoping not to let the smoke out. Eight monthes later, all four batteries and driver are still in sevice. Luck, dumb, had to take the risk, you call it. Dewault 18volt Lithium Ion rules. I've seen lug nuts removed.

Michael Mayo
02-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I just purchased the Bosch http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=CLPK23-180 two drill kit at Lowes recently to replace my Ryobi 18v. The Ryobi was alright but it doesn't hold a candle to the Bosch units. I really like the Bosch and the power is pretty impressive. The other thing about these Bosch drills is that the batteries charge in nothing flat. I mean it takes about 20-30 min. for them to charge completely and they seem to run quite a long time before i have to plug it in again. And then i just unplug the battery in the charger and keep right on going while the other is charging. The impact driver is something new to me and it has come in handy but I use the drill more than the impact. I really like the drills and would recommend them if you are on the fence. I got mine for $199 but I have seen them lately on sale for about $180-185. Comes with a nice blow molded case which always gets stored....:) and some belt clip holders for those times when you are on the ladder and need to put it down.

Brent VanFossen
02-05-2012, 2:31 AM
I bought the Makita 18V lithium drill and impact driver combo - the blue ones with the bigger batteries. That was about two years ago. They're still going strong. I like them so much that I bought a second identical combo because I was doing a lot of bit swapping. So now I have two sets and couldn't be happier. They're certainly heavier than the 12V DeWalts, and the DeWalts seem like they would do everything I need. However, I don't carry them around all day, just use them as shop tools and around the house, so the weight wasn't an issue for me.

Mike Henderson
03-22-2012, 10:58 PM
I decided to splurge and bought the Festool CSX drill. I just got it today so I'll let you know later how I like it. My other drills are DeWalt 18V and this one is a heck of a lot lighter. But I have two DeWalt drills, one to drill the hole and one to put the screw in. So maybe I'll have to buy another CSX.:)

I could have bought the DeWalt drill/impact driver combo for less than the Festool so maybe I'll regret not buying that set. I wish I could have used both the DeWalt and the Festool for a while before making a decision.

Mike

Ron Natalie
03-23-2012, 5:50 AM
All of my tools are either the 18V (XRP) dewalt or the M12 Milwaukee stuff. They had a little inexpensive M12 kit with a tiny hammer drill and an impact driver which are rapidly becoming my favorites.

Prashun Patel
03-23-2012, 9:07 AM
Congratulations! Tell us how you like it!

Mike Holbrook
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Yea Mike,
I was late getting here but I was going to suggest: the Festool, the Festool or the Festool. I got the T15, a little larger, about a year ago and love it. The box with all the chucks etc. makes it a single answer to all problems. You even have room for drills, bits...in the top. The batteries last extremely well compared to anything else I have used too. I like hand braces & drills for some things but for quick construction work and times when I need to drive a bunch of holes or drill many good size holes the Festool drill is great. If I had it to do over I would probably get the drill you got. I thought I might need more power, but I think I am over powered. I think the Festool drill will out last several of the normal drills with brushes too, so I think it is a better bargain than most people realize.

I was talking to a carpenter the other day who has about a half dozen Festool sanders that he uses every day and has for over 7 years, not a single repair, they just keep on & on & on.....

Ted Baca
03-23-2012, 1:23 PM
I will add a vote for the Bosch series. I have had mine for years and power, battery life have exceeded my expectations. Also I recently bought another and a part was missing an Bosch sent that part and asked if I needed it right aways they would take the part of a new tool to accomadate me. Great service from Bosch and as of now I have the Driver/Drill, Impact, Angle head driver/drill, drill with chuck and multi-tool. I have been very happy with them and I understand they will continue to build on these models with new tools.

tom gepfrich
03-23-2012, 7:09 PM
I recently got the 20v max dewalt kit. The drill is a little larger than the comact model but it is a beast that also has hammer function. The 20v impact drive is another beast that has the most compact top end of any unit I compared. This is my first dewalt cordless experience and I couldnt be happier.

Dick Bringhurst
03-23-2012, 7:18 PM
Interesting, Only one mention of PC. Dick B.

Keith Avery
03-23-2012, 9:52 PM
I have had a 12v Panasonic for about 15 years, it is bullet proof. I have also owned Dewalt, Hitachi, and Makita and none compare well. Although the Makita is good. I have replaced the NiMH batteries once. They are not cheap and aren't light like the Makita but it will run all day and I love the chuck.

Rob Holcomb
03-24-2012, 9:18 AM
ALl of the brands mentioned are great tools but I wanted to throw a vote in for the Hitachi 12v. I bought the combo pack (drill, impact driver and flashlight) and couldn't be happier with size, quality and performance.

Mike Henderson
03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
If anyone is interested in the DeWalt set, I see that Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0044DEXPW/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used)has a set listed as "Used - like new" for $130. I have no clue exactly what that means but if you're willing to take a chance, it's a way to get the DeWalt set for a very good price.

Mike

Will Blick
03-24-2012, 2:26 PM
Mike...I have own / use many of the major makers of these drills / drivers.... its remarkable how good they are getting every year or two. Specially battery technology and torque.

When driving large size fasteners, such as 1/4" x 6" lag screws, nothing beats impact drivers IMO, they are very efficient at driving, long battery life vs. driver.

The CXS you bought, well, that tool IMO stands in a class by itself. It is the ultimate hand screw driver, for relatively small fasteners...it is the only driver I have ever used that allows low speed driving with ultra high torque, which prevents the head from stripping, even with phillips or straight heads, although I prefer square heads. The ratchet is very sensitive and can be set "just right" to make a screw snug, but NOT strip in the wood. Not an easy task, the CXS makes it effortless.

My impact drivers will drive small screws with ease, even my mini impacts, which are better suited vs. the big guns, as too much torque introduces the risk of striping the wood threads when screw is seated. But even so, even low powered impact drivers can still strip the wood when screw is seated. Impact drivers can not have ratchets, its their one shortcoming, specially for small screws (<3" #12). This is what makes the CXS worth its price tag IMO, I would never part with my CXS.... Its my most used driver...I have a ton of cordless and corded drills / drivers / impacts....but when I drive med. to small screws, it's the only tool I pick up...and I abuse the other tools for the other tasks. The CXS is an "OK" drill, I would not buy it for that function, specially considering you can get better cordless drills for 1/3 the price. As always, Festool engineers are ahead of the design curve on this one... I am sure the Giants will catch up in 3-5 yrs.

John TenEyck
03-24-2012, 2:59 PM
ALl of the brands mentioned are great tools but I wanted to throw a vote in for the Hitachi 12v. I bought the combo pack (drill, impact driver and flashlight) and couldn't be happier with size, quality and performance.

Must be something in the water here, because I have the Hitachi 12V impact driver, too, and it's a great tool. Very small and light, and very powerful for it's class. I'm looking to get the drill to go with it now. I've had a couple of 9.6 V Makita drills for over 20 years, and wouldn't hesitate to buy their new offerings, but the price on Hitachi's at Big Sky Tools made it an easy choice. If you've never considered reconditioned tools, I suggest you reconsider. All the tool, including a warranty, for half the price. What's not to like?

John

Michael O'Sullivan
03-24-2012, 7:47 PM
I decided to splurge and bought the Festool CSX drill. I just got it today so I'll let you know later how I like it. My other drills are DeWalt 18V and this one is a heck of a lot lighter. But I have two DeWalt drills, one to drill the hole and one to put the screw in. So maybe I'll have to buy another CSX.:)

I could have bought the DeWalt drill/impact driver combo for less than the Festool so maybe I'll regret not buying that set. I wish I could have used both the DeWalt and the Festool for a while before making a decision.

Mike

It is funny -- I did almost exactly the same thing last week. I had a DW 18V drill/driver for about 6 years that served me very well until I dicovered that there was a lot of smoke and ozone (plus some pretty bright sparks) trapped inside the motor. Oddly enough, the battery is still going strong, so I probably could have bought a "body only" replacement.

But I've been jonesing for a Festool for a while, and figured this was a great excuse. If a good deal comes along on a body-only Dewalt, I may pick it up as well. Routers and drills -- you cannot have too many.

Rob Holcomb
03-24-2012, 8:22 PM
John you will love the drill to go with your driver. I used to use an 18v drill as my "go to" drill. Not anymore. Can't say enough about the Hitachi

Paul Wunder
03-24-2012, 9:10 PM
Mike,

Milwaukee is having a buy one tool get one free REBATE. For example, If you buy a M12 3/8" drill/driver kit for $123 (Amazon) you can get one of three naked tools free. I chose the Milwaukee Angle drill/driver (street price $89 as my free tool. The $123 kit includes two lith-on batteries, quick charge and a nice soft case

http://www.toolbarn.com/specials/rebates.html?manufacturer=245

The rebate form is available at the Tool Barn link, but Milwaukee CS told me that I can but it anywhere except FleeBay.

P.S> I own the driver and the drill/driver. Quite pleased

Mark Ashmeade
03-24-2012, 9:41 PM
Robert Bosch GmbH all the way for me. Yes, they're expensive. But they stand behind them. A bit of a no-brainer really, they make them right in the first place.

Over the years I've had many items by old Bob. Drills various, a sander, dishwashers, fridge, washing machine, dryer, freezer, fuel injection systems, and most recently, a world-beating CMS, some great 18V Li-ion tools, and a set of the 12V stuff.

The 12V drill (new one) is nearly as powerful as my 18V DeWalt is heavy. The batteries were dying on the DW, and with an existing suite of Bosch 12V (Impact driver, ordinary driver (old & new models) and a multi-tool), I took the plunge on the drill, in a combo set with the inspection camera. Couldn't be happier. It doesn't quite have the torque of the DW, but it's way lighter and easier to apply finesse to in terms of positioning. If I need to kick ass, I have its 18V Brute Tough big brother which laughs at the DW. So now in Bosch 12V world, I have 7 batteries, 3 chargers and 6 tools. Very happy I made the right choice.

Mike Henderson
03-28-2012, 12:00 AM
I had a chance to use the DeWalt combo drill and impact driver today (that's two units, a drill and an impact driver). I didn't have a lot of time with them but I'll give you my first impressions.

The drill is great. It's about as long as the Festool CSX and just a little taller. Hard to tell the difference in weight - seemed pretty close. Feels good in my hand. It seems to have a brake on the drill. It goes from high speed to zero quickly and I hear a "clack" when it shuts down. Anyway, great little tool.

The impact driver is a bit harder to use. If you pull the trigger all the way, it goes fast - you could drill with it. Good lighting with the three LEDs on the front. I only drove a couple of screws and it worked fine - I just had to be careful to "feather" the trigger to keep it from driving too fast.

I noticed that the DeWalt batteries are rated at 1.1 amp hour, while the CSX has a 1.5 amp hour battery (they recently upgraded from the 1.3 amp hour battery). One nice thing on the Festool is that you can hang the charger on the wall (two screw hole slots in the back of the charger). I wish DeWalt did that.

Anyway, a very good set of tools. I'm sure I'll enjoy using the Festool CSX but I probably would have been satisfied with the DeWalt set.

Mike