PDA

View Full Version : BLM Cuts Like Butter or What I Turned Today!

Harvey Ghesser
02-03-2012, 8:38 PM
Today, I spent a really nice six hours or so rough turning two of the eight BLM burl blanks I received the other day. The first one when finished (hopefully!) will be the big brother to the cone shape that I posted today. The second one is a burl cap that is about 9 inches in diameter. The burl pattern and the rays are so beautiful (IMO) that I thought I would share. Both roughouts are now in the DNA bath.

Thanks for looking!http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif

charlie knighton
02-03-2012, 8:45 PM
very nice, looks like you have situation under control

James Combs
02-03-2012, 8:50 PM
Very nice, I have some of that, you just gave me the motivation to come up with something from mine.

Jim Burr
02-03-2012, 9:13 PM
Don't let us get in your way...turn away sir!!

David E Keller
02-03-2012, 9:35 PM
Pretty stuff, Harvey!Is it just my computer, or does Dan's avatar display next to Harvey's name?

Harvey Ghesser
02-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Pretty stuff, Harvey!Is it just my computer, or does Dan's avatar display next to Harvey's name?

Keller, that avatar is my trusty and fiercely friendly, GSD Jake! Who's Dan? (other than my brother)...

David E Keller
02-03-2012, 10:16 PM
When I look at your posts, your dog's image has been replaced with Dan Forman's avatar... I get lots of weird stuff like this on SMC from time to time.

David DeCristoforo
02-03-2012, 10:19 PM
I love maple burl when it looks like that! Fantastic stuff. I'm glad you had the smarts to stick with a simple form to showcase the wood. That seems to be something I always have a problem with!

Dan Forman
02-04-2012, 3:15 AM
All right, I'm having my attorney look into this unauthorized use of my avatar! I might be willing to settle out of court for a couple of those nice burl blanks. I'll have my people talk to your people... :)

That bowl looks mighty fine, can't wait to see it finished.

Dan

John Keeton
02-04-2012, 6:30 AM
Harvey, I have done a couple of pieces where I have turned away the crown of a BLM burl, and it pains me every time I do it!! No other way to get a NE piece, though. Usually the crown is where most of the "eyes" are, but the figure in this piece seems to run deep. Most of the time one can tell from the bottom of the burl cap. This one is going to be a beauty - any thoughts on dye??

Michelle Rich
02-04-2012, 6:47 AM
I can't wait to see this finished..it's gonna be awesome!

Harvey Ghesser
02-04-2012, 7:29 AM
"This one is going to be a beauty - any thoughts on dye?? "

John, I hadn't even given dye a thought until you mentioned it, but.....!

John Keeton
02-04-2012, 7:47 AM
Harvey, on this piece (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?156663-Hidden-Treasure-The-Lost-Vein/page4) I used Transtint Brown Mahogany dye, faded to the bottom (darker rim.) Just something for you to consider, as dye can really make the BLM burl come alive!

Rick Markham
02-04-2012, 8:56 AM
Maple burl is my favorite! That's a gorgeous piece too. Almost all of mine I sit on until it's ultra dry before I turn it. I recently bought a bunch of green BLM burl, that's going to be fun! It will be nice to see this one when your done with it.

Harvey Ghesser
02-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Harvey, on this piece (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?156663-Hidden-Treasure-The-Lost-Vein/page4) I used Transtint Brown Mahogany dye, faded to the bottom (darker rim.) Just something for you to consider, as dye can really make the BLM burl come alive!

A very beautiful piece John, and your tinting process certainly accentuated the beauty of the burl. The burl cap that I have shown basically has only two colors...the burl (light brown) and the background (almost white). I should experiment with the few off cuts that I have from this burl as to how color might enhance the finished product.

I appreciate the encouragement.

David E Keller
02-04-2012, 3:10 PM
All right, I'm having my attorney look into this unauthorized use of my avatar! I might be willing to settle out of court for a couple of those nice burl blanks. I'll have my people talk to your people... :)

That bowl looks mighty fine, can't wait to see it finished.

Dan

Your threat of legal action seems to have corrected my viewer... Harvey's dog is back in place and your photo is only appearing on your posts, Dan. Perhaps a claim of emotional pain and suffering would still allow you to lobby for some of that burl!

Baxter Smith
02-04-2012, 6:31 PM
Beautiful stuff and it doesn't even have a finish!

Wally Dickerman
02-04-2012, 6:48 PM
Did you know that BLM burls Disintegrate in DNA?

Baxter Smith
02-04-2012, 7:16 PM
Now that made me laugh!:D

Harvey Ghesser
02-04-2012, 8:38 PM

Now you tell me!

David E Keller
02-04-2012, 8:46 PM

He's right, but if you strain it through some cheese cloth you should be able to press the pulp back into just about any shape you'd like.