PDA

View Full Version : Visited a Creeker Today....

Wally Dickerman
02-03-2012, 8:37 PM
I live in Green Valley Az. about 40 miles so of Tucson. I don't go to Tucson very often but today I had an appointment at the VA hospital for an annual test. After the VA I visited Bill Wyko at his shop in mid Tucson. We hadn't met before. Bill and I had a lot to talk about, nearly all of it about woodturning. Bill installs very high end audio equipment in cars and trucks. It's amazing what people will pay to listen to music while they drive. Of course with some it, everybody within 3 blocks also hears it.

Bill does a very expert job of constructing and turning segmented vessels. He showed me several that were just beautiful. Bill not only has a lathe in his shop at home, he also has one at his place of business. Now that's an addiction!

I scored a couple of large chunks of very nice freshly cut eucalyptus. Deep red heart wood. Thanks Bill...

charlie knighton
02-03-2012, 8:47 PM
cool.......

Nate Davey
02-03-2012, 8:52 PM
Sounds like a great time....pun intended :D. It's nice to hang out with other turners.

Harvey Ghesser
02-03-2012, 8:58 PM
"It's amazing what people will pay to listen to music while they drive. Of course with some it, everybody within 3 blocks also hears it."

Sorry, Wally....I didn't hear you. What was that you said?:D

Steve Schlumpf
02-03-2012, 9:02 PM
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! Wish I lived closer!!

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2012, 9:24 PM
Sounds like a great visit.

David E Keller
02-03-2012, 9:33 PM
Very cool! I'm guessing you're not going to have Bill mount some big woofers in the back of your vehicle!

Dan Forman
02-04-2012, 3:20 AM
Glad you enjoyed the visit.

Dan

Bill Wyko
02-04-2012, 3:23 AM
Sorry for the late reply Wally, my computer went into slow motion at work and I'm just coming in from the shop at home now.
We had a wonderful conversation. I learned a lot in the short time we had. I find it just great to talk to someone with so much knowledge of turning and such a long history at it. Wally gave me a short history lesson on the world of turning we enjoy. It's truly amazing how turning has grown into what it is today. Wally is one of the lucky ones that has been there all along the way. Thanks very much for taking the time to stop in, I wish I didn't have to get back to work when I did. I look forward to getting together again.

PS sorry about the loud truck. That thing is a monster for sure. Wally got to see the Carbon fiber truck I'm building. My clientel let me get pretty creative sometimes. The truck he heard has 16000 watts. It'll flex concrete walls. What's funny is, I listen to news talk radio most of the time.

John Keeton
02-04-2012, 6:35 AM
Two great artists in one room!! That had to be a treat. I would have paid money just to overhear the conversation - well, about turning - not so much on the sound machines!!!;):D

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-04-2012, 8:39 AM
Glad you had a good visit. I had several Creeker visits. I enjoyed them all. Great group of people hear. & I look forward to meeting others if the opportunities arise .

Harvey Ghesser
02-04-2012, 9:35 AM
definitely jealous....