PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 10 slow to display homepage when first opened...

Chuck Wintle
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
When I start firefox there is a small delay before my homepage displays. The delay is about 10 seconds but the chrome browser does not have this delay when first opened. Has anyone noticed this behavior with firefox?

Dan Hintz
02-03-2012, 1:05 PM
Ever since FF moved to their "new version every 3 months" schedule (or whatever the time frame is), they're bug eradication program has gone to the dogs. I have now turned off the auto-update and wait until the next release is about to be made before updating to the current one.

I haven't noticed any delays in the homepage, per se, but I've noticed a HUGE increase in time (like 10 seconds, similar to you) getting to any page other than the really big ones (Google, for example). I don't know if they changed their proxy settings or what, but transactions take a LONG time to get going... once I'm connected to a new page, things clear up.

Curt Harms
02-04-2012, 7:56 AM
Ever since FF moved to their "new version every 3 months" schedule (or whatever the time frame is), they're bug eradication program has gone to the dogs. I have now turned off the auto-update and wait until the next release is about to be made before updating to the current one.

I haven't noticed any delays in the homepage, per se, but I've noticed a HUGE increase in time (like 10 seconds, similar to you) getting to any page other than the really big ones (Google, for example). I don't know if they changed their proxy settings or what, but transactions take a LONG time to get going... once I'm connected to a new page, things clear up.

I think what Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird etc.) has done is pretty much done away with 'point' releases i.e. 10 instead of 9.0.1 for a ver. 9 bug fix release. One rumor is they're trying to keep up with Chrome/Chromium as far as version numbers. Chrome 15 has to be better than FireFox 5.2.3 doesn't it? 15 is a bigger number than 5 after all :rolleyes:.

Chuck Wintle
02-04-2012, 8:00 AM
I think what Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird etc.) has done is pretty much done away with 'point' releases i.e. 10 instead of 9.0.1 for a ver. 9 bug fix release. One rumor is they're trying to keep up with Chrome/Chromium as far as version numbers. Chrome 15 has to be better than FireFox 5.2.3 doesn't it? 15 is a bigger number than 5 after all :rolleyes:.
yes a larger number should be better..i like chrome too but don't like the idea that google may be collecting data.

Myk Rian
02-04-2012, 11:43 AM
When I start firefox there is a small delay before my homepage displays. The delay is about 10 seconds but the chrome browser does not have this delay when first opened. Has anyone noticed this behavior with firefox?
I use Chrome because it's faster than IE and FF.

Bill Huber
02-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I have no problem with FF 10, it is faster then 9.0.1 was and the home page pops up in about 2 seconds or less.