PDA

View Full Version : Burn Barrel Resurection #6

Dick Wilson
02-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I have been a huge fan of MICHAEL and CYNTHIA GIBSON since I first saw their marvelous tea pots. I had a Flowering Pear turning laying on my bench for a year that, as you can see, went south on my big time (first picture). After doing this piece my admiration of Michael and Cynthia's work has taken quantum leaps. These suckers are a ton of work:eek::eek:. As I said before the HF is Flowering pear and the spout, handle, and top are Walnut. I thought about overlapping the leaves and decided not to. I wanted natural wood in between the leaves. I like the look. As far as the spout and handle.....the jury is still out. When I was tweeking the design I thought it looked great. AFTER it was all glued together and finished I wish I had done it a little differently. I think I would have had the walnut touching the HF further up and then curve out. The pyro work I do will NEVER be confused with Cynthia's artistry. Different tips and lots of smoke in the air is definately needed. Piece stands 10" tall by 12" across. All in all, I am pleased with the outcome as my first attempt. Comments and critiques welcome.222437222438

Harvey Ghesser
02-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Nice work, Dick, real nice!

Tim Rinehart
02-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I really like how you suspended the piece with the spout/handle/base...very clever.
It works well, you should be quite pleased and I suspect Michael and Cynthia will agree on results!

Chris Studley
02-03-2012, 11:18 AM
I Like It.

I especially like that you carried through the Pear leaves shape on the pear wood. Obvioulsy a maple leaf would have been off. Did you have some of the leaves laying around to look at?

Dick Wilson
02-03-2012, 11:21 AM
I Like It.

I especially like that you carried through the Pear leaves shape on the pear wood. Obvioulsy a maple leaf would have been off. Did you have some of the leaves laying around to look at?

Copied a leaf photo off the internet and printed the size I wanted out as a pattern.

Don Alexander
02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
great save, Dick, looks great

David E Keller
02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
That's cool! I love the attitude that the spout and handle impart and the fact that the main form is suspended. Really a cool piece!

Ken Glass
02-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Dick,
I love this piece. It combines both turning, carving and woodworking together. It flows well and the color choices, and suspension of the form make it a really big hit with me. Very Well Done.

Robert McGowen
02-03-2012, 12:05 PM
That has a really pleasing look the way that it is suspended. Nice work!

Ted Calver
02-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Very creative, and that's what it's all about. I really like it.

Dan Forman
02-03-2012, 2:01 PM
An unqualified success! Love the way you did the handle and spout.

Dan

John Keeton
02-03-2012, 3:14 PM
Dick, you need to keep digging in that burn barrel - you keep pulling out masterpieces!! I love what you have done here - the pear leaves are dead on, and I like the flow of the handle/spout. But, the kicker is that you were able to suspend the form perfectly aligned (or, so it appears) - no small feat!!

Jim Burr
02-03-2012, 8:38 PM
If there is anything left in your burn barrel...it's your fault!

Dick Wilson
02-03-2012, 8:44 PM
Dick, you need to keep digging in that burn barrel - you keep pulling out masterpieces!! I love what you have done here - the pear leaves are dead on, and I like the flow of the handle/spout. But, the kicker is that you were able to suspend the form perfectly aligned (or, so it appears) - no small feat!!

Hi John, glad you like it. The most difficult part for me was getting the spout and handle to fit perfectly to the HF. Talk about tweaking. Cynthia Gibson had nice comments on WOW, as did Michael except he pointed out that if anyone "filled" it to the top tea would be spewing out the spout because the top is too low. Can you say bad design feature:eek::eek::mad:

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2012, 9:26 PM
Great save and a really nice piece Dick.

Scott Hackler
02-03-2012, 9:44 PM
Very nice piece. Has a graceful flow.

David DeCristoforo
02-03-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking I would mind mucking through your "burn barrel. Great looking tea pot form.

John Keeton
02-04-2012, 6:38 AM
Cynthia Gibson had nice comments on WOW, as did Michael except he pointed out that if anyone "filled" it to the top tea would be spewing out the spout because the top is too low. Can you say bad design feature:eek::eek::mad:Much too pragmatic in a conversation of artists!!!:D Somehow, I just don't see this piece being used at your next tea party!

Baxter Smith
02-04-2012, 6:36 PM
Great piece Dick! My first impression was similar to yours in thinking that the handle and spout needed to be touching up a bit higher. You can adjust that on the next one! With those legs, it is still one of the most distinctive teapots I have seen!