PDA

View Full Version : Buffing BEFORE Applying Finish!

Russell Neyman
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Made an interesting discovery yesterday. I was making a pair of small, plain bowls yesterday from a piece of cherry a neighbor dropped off months ago, one extremely thin, and the other a bit thicker. Neither was anything special, so I decided to use them to experiment with finishes.

I went for lacquer on both, and followed my usual routine: Boiled Linseed Oil, Shellac, sanding to 400, four-ought steel wool, then began the process of laying down multiple coats of lacquer, intending to buff it out with the Beal Polishing System (Tripoli/White Diamond/Wax) later. Somehow, I buffed with the Tripoli and White Diamond first, before applying the lacquer -- just got distracted, I guess -- and the result is remarkably smooth. No, I stopped before applying the wax, but will go back in a couple of days and do the entire Beal process on top of the lacquer.

Point is, the first two steps of the buffing process smoothes out the wood and has a degree of burnishing effect, and apparently isn't a bond-breaker. I'm extremely happy with the results.

Gene Hintze
02-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I always buff with tripoli and then white diamond before applying my witches brew finish. After the finish has cured I buff again with white diamond. Seems to work well for me.

Russell Neyman
02-03-2012, 12:13 PM
I always buff with tripoli and then white diamond before applying my witches brew finish. After the finish has cured I buff again with white diamond. Seems to work well for me.

So, why did I have to stumble onto this "discovery" myself? Sheesh.

Jamie Donaldson
02-03-2012, 1:38 PM
The problem with buffing first is that many finishes will no penetrate into the buffed smooth wood, and this diminishes the enhanced grain appearance afforded by a penetratiing oil.

Mark Levitski
02-03-2012, 8:08 PM
The problem with buffing first is that many finishes will no penetrate into the buffed smooth wood, and this diminishes the enhanced grain appearance afforded by a penetratiing oil.

This might be true, but for most wipe-on applications where the ratio of mineral spirits to varnish is high, the penetration is quite good. I have finished a lot of pieces after sanding to 600 and buffing with tripoli and white diamond. No problems at all with penetration. I do, however, buff after the finish cures also.

This might depend on the species. Dunno.

Thomas Canfield
02-03-2012, 8:17 PM
I have been buffing with Tripoli after sanding to 400 before applying a oil/poly finish after having it recommended by Elmer Adams, Big Island, HI several years ago. I do not use the White Diamond, but maybe should. Elmer recommended buffing with Tripoli after each coat of oil/poly (4 or 5 coats) and then finish with the White Diamond and Renainace wax.

Jim Burr
02-03-2012, 8:35 PM
I don't have enough money for a turning system and a buffing system...nice to know what to get when I'm in the 1%!

Marvin Hasenak
02-04-2012, 2:14 AM
If you buff before applying a finish you are probably sealing the piece before you apply the finish. Most buffing compounds are made with a compound and a binding wax. When you buff some of the binding wax will stick to the wood, sealing it.

Jerry Wright
02-04-2012, 5:27 AM
The historic way to "buff before finishing" has been to use a handfull of the freshly turned chips from the item being finished. If you don't already do it, give it a shot. Done well, you can see yourself in the surface.

Michelle Rich
02-04-2012, 6:49 AM
glad you figured this out. i've buffed like this for years. The beall system was designed to use danish oil & then buff. Sooo smooth! makes vessels feel wonderful. Since danish has resins, it's a pretty good total finish. Especially for shelf sitting art.