PDA

View Full Version : Facebook "like" button

Mike Henderson
02-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm not a Facebook person so that's why I have this question. Facebook has a "like" button. What good does it do? That is, suppose a lot of people select the "like" button on your Facebook page - what meaning does it have and why would anyone want a lot of "likes"?

Mike

Jeff Bratt
02-03-2012, 1:09 AM
The Like button is a way to give positive feedback about something without having to type anything.

What good does anything on Facebook do? If 10,000 people Like something - does that mean it's really good?

Remember, the real purpose of Facebook is to convince you to reveal as much personal information as possible, so Facebook can sell that information to advertisers. The Like button is just one of a wide range of things to further that goal.

Rich Engelhardt
02-03-2012, 7:09 AM
Also when you "like" something you subscribe to it and updates are posted on your wall.
I "like" Tommy Mac and Mr. Lumber. Updates to Tommy Mac's show come up on my wall.
Specials Mr. Lumber runs from time to time also appear on my wall.

Paul Saffold
02-03-2012, 7:25 AM
"Facebook"? Isn't that a collection of "wanted dead-or-alive" posters at the police station?

David Weaver
02-03-2012, 8:34 AM
It makes it easier for facebook to target market to you (or sell your data to someone else), have your information shared with someone (by your consent) and provides them with a way to get you to market to your friends without knowing it.

I can't find any redeeming qualities with facebook aside from the initial ability long ago to find people you haven't talked to in a while. I'd like to shut my page (which my wife set up in my name), but my wife thinks that I need to have it to get updates from relatives.

Jim Koepke
02-03-2012, 1:01 PM
but my wife thinks that I need to have it to get updates from relatives.

My relatives all know my whereabouts, phone number and email if they want it.

Liking something on Facebook is a statistical selling tool.

If you do much on the internet you have likely seen add ons below an item you are interested in. Usually in the format of "other people who bought this also bought one of these." On Netflix it is suggestions of movies based on what you have already rated or there is even selections based on what others in your locality are watching.

It is a marketing tool. Often when browsing newspapers on line there are ads for WoodCraft or other woodworking businesses. It is targeted by knowing what else I have been doing on line.

They don't know your name, but they know who you are.

I know that sounds paranoid, but just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me.

-- paraphrasing Captain John Yossarian from Catch 22.

jtk

Jim Rimmer
02-03-2012, 1:29 PM
My daughter and son-in-law own their own business and she has set up a FB account for the business. She has run specials that if she gets X number of LIKES in X number of days, the business will donate $X to a charity. This gives her an idea of how many people are looking at the site and also sends them messages when she posts something new. For personal use, it's just a way of saying something without saying anything.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-03-2012, 1:41 PM
I heard Facebook was ran by the Illuminati and the Free Masons.

http://www.unclebill.us/alts/rofl.gif

Ben Hatcher
02-03-2012, 1:44 PM
It can also be used to show agreement on someone's comment similar to the use of "+1" here on SMC.

Dave Wagner
02-03-2012, 9:45 PM
YOu got, When you click, 'LIKE' something it target markets all the ADS on the right side, bottom, and where they want to put them and suggests to others you LIKE something on facebook. it does have it's pros and cons.

When you fill out your profile, your hobbies, interests, etc....it knows what you MAY like, and suggests other sites or pages.

Funny, "The Facebook Obsession" was just on CNBC, quite interesting on the world of facebook.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/39618344

Clay Crocker
02-04-2012, 1:01 AM
I prefer Staples "Easy" button. :D

Belinda Barfield
02-04-2012, 9:07 AM
I prefer Staples "Easy" button. :D

"like" :D

Leigh Costello
02-07-2012, 1:00 AM
Good one, Belinda! I use facebook as an advertising tool. And it can be fun to look at to see what my daughter is up to... and obscure people from my past... and classmates I didn't associate with in the first place... and, and, and,