PDA

View Full Version : Suckage: New L-N Router Plane Gloat

Jim Neeley
02-02-2012, 9:07 PM
Santa came a little late, but what presents! These are the new closed-mouth planes, with the large having cocobolo handles. I was lucky in that each came with a card certifying them as one of the first 100 of each made.

I also added a new bevel edge chisel and a trio of files.

Oh, for the smell of sawdust in the morning!! <g>

Jim

Chris Griggs
02-02-2012, 9:28 PM
Those are beauts Jim! The cocobolo looks really nice. I heart router planes! Great gloat!

Peter Pedisich
02-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I have and like the large Veritas router plane, but that new LN, especially with cocbolo, is so much better looking. Very classy.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
A
day
to play
The joys
of new toys
Into the shop
You must hop

Merry Belated Christmas,

jtk

Archie England
02-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Very nice! Congrats

Don Dorn
02-03-2012, 6:58 AM
I have and like the large Veritas router plane, but that new LN, especially with cocbolo, is so much better looking. Very classy.

I do too and don't plan to change that, but I also like the fact that the knobs are traditionally straight up on the LN.

Chris Griggs
02-03-2012, 7:16 AM
Can the LN router plane blades be turned around to be used outboard? I'll never give up my LV large router but for the small I've considered the LN.

Zach England
02-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Is the only difference in the new router plane the "throat"?

Jim Neeley
02-03-2012, 2:35 PM
Can the LN router plane blades be turned around to be used outboard? I'll never give up my LV large router but for the small I've considered the LN.

I'll have to check that out, Don.. It's at home and I'm on a work-break.

Jim Neeley
02-03-2012, 2:36 PM
Is the only difference in the new router plane the "throat"?

Yes, it provides additional support around the blade, at some expense of visibility.

Matthew Hills
02-03-2012, 7:43 PM
I assume you ordered the chisel handle custom?
Any idea if they're offering this for other tools?
They used to offer their saws with a darker wood (rosewood or cocobolo?).
Looked much nicer than the recent maple ones I've gotten more recently.

Matt

Jim Neeley
02-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Matt,

Yes, I ordered both the router plane and the chisel special with cocobolo; by default the planes come in cherry and the chisels come in hornbeam (aka Ironwood). I have some of each and though there's no doubt the Hornbeam will take a tougher pounding, I don't plan on pounding my chisels. <g>

Besides, they are swappable amongst the bevel-edge chisels so as long as you have a couple of hornbeam handles, you could swap them for the coco if you were worried about it. I'm adopting a saying from Rob Cosman, "I don't need a bigger hammer; instead I'll use a sharper blade!". That said, my mortising chisels are in hornbeam, even though they are sharper than heck.

Jim

P.S. FWIW, there is an extra charge for the coco upgrade and it normally means 2-4 weeks to ship. In the case of the RP, I contacted them to pre-order the coco before planes themselves were shipping and so they were able to upgrade one of their first ones.

I've taken quite a liking to both the look and feel of cocobolo handled tools.

Jim Neeley
02-05-2012, 5:25 PM

Chris,

I finally had a chance to check it out for you.

Yes, both the new small and large router planes are designed to let you turn the blade around for cutting outboard.

Jim

Jim Neeley
02-05-2012, 5:34 PM
Any idea if they're offering this for other tools?
Matt

Matt,

It just dawned on me that I hadn't fully answered your question. Yes, you can order coco for other tools. My bench planes, back saws and skew block planes are all coco, as are the bevel edged that are used for paring and very light mallet-tapping.

Jim