PDA

View Full Version : How to? 60 degree bevel on mid-sized sheet of plywood ...

Tom Hendrickson
02-02-2012, 8:33 PM
I have a sheet of "three-quarter inch" plywood just under three foot by two foot on which I need to put a sixty degree bevel on one of the three foot sides. Anybody know a safe and easy way to do this? I have all the normal tools an avid hobbyist would have.

Thanks,
Tom

Craig Michael
02-02-2012, 8:38 PM
can you cut a 30 degree from the opposite side?

Bruce Wrenn
02-02-2012, 9:05 PM
Take your radial arm saw (remember those), lay the head over to where the blade is in the vertical mode Actually 60 degrees and ripe away using fence as a guide.

Sam Murdoch
02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
As Craig is suggesting set your Table Saw fence to the left of the blade. Your ply will be running through the saw vertically = the 2' edge up. BUT– you should clamp a straightedge on your plywood that will ride along the fence, or come up with some other way to fully support the plywood. This way you are supporting your plywood so that you are not getting to the end of your bevel cut supported only by the sharp edge of your bevel cut. The tendency will be for the plywood to kick out towards the blade as you end the cut because this is such an unnatural way to feed material through the saw. It is an awkward cut but try a few dry runs with the blade out of the way and the saw NOT running. Keep your wits about you and you should be fine.