PDA

View Full Version : turning and learning

Deane Allinson
02-02-2012, 7:26 PM
I posted questions about glue blocks a couple of days ago. My glue block jointhas held up nicely while I shaped the outside and started holowing out the inside. I got pretty deep inside and started seeing some white sap wood show up more than 1/2 way down. I thought it was odd since there was no sap outside. Then I ran into a rotted hole about the size of a nickel and about 5/8" deep. Must have been a broken branch early in the tree's life. I turned it out in that spot and am getting pretty thin where it was. Anyway I snagged going up to the heavy spot on the side. It tore my glue block in half but the little 1/8" bead of titebond around the outer edge of the block held. I will use Poplar or maple next time instead of big box scrap pine for a waste block. I am gluing the block back together and see how out of balance everything is and will continue on with it. Maybe. Anyway if all goes well I should have a pretty thin larger bowl. If not I will learn something else new.
Deane

Doug Herzberg
02-02-2012, 8:18 PM
Glad you're okay, Deane. I've been learning, too. A more experienced turner told me to get a lot of inexpensive wood and just turn it. I generally keep going until I make a mistake, then, if I can fix it by going a different direction, I do it again until I finish something or there's nothing left. I don't have much to show for several hours in the shop, but I have learned a lot about my tools and what they can and can't (and shouldn't) do. Kind of like speed chess.

I agree about the hardwood glue blocks. I've used some old pieces of 2x8 but my practice wood is pine, so it usually breaks before the glue block.

I have the Grizzly scroll chuck someone recommended to you. I returned mine because of a defect and I'm waiting (2 weeks now) for a replacement. I liked it, but I have no experience with anything else, so take that for what it's worth. You can get the smaller Novas on sale for just a little more if you watch for a sale. I don't have any experience with them, but people seem to like them. If money is tight, a book titled "The Frugal Woodturner" has quite a bit of information about making your own chucks, as well as a lot of other useful information for newbies.

Jim Burr
02-02-2012, 8:53 PM
To go outside the SMC box Deane, I just made a pen for a Canadian swap that I had no business making. Guess what...it worked!! As with anything...it takes practice and a desire to push it and screw up. To bring perspective, I blew up 4 blanks that should have been sweet. I learned, re-sharpened and remembered the feeling in my hands. I can't make a curve to save my life, but my hands sure let me know when I'm gettin' cocky. Had a piece of brass fly at my face on the first and second one...changed to aluminium and the shield was much happier! Keep at it, educate yourself and make more stuff. Based on what you have posted to date...you'll be fine.