PDA

View Full Version : My Take on the Creeker Visit w/Nate

mike ash
02-02-2012, 6:34 PM
This is a load of Ambrosa Maple sitting on top on my suitcase following a visit with Nate Davey!!! I had the opportunity to travel to Fayetteville, N.C. and knew through SMC that Nate was stationed there. And I wanted to thank Nate for his Military Service, so we set up a meeting to swap some wood and some stories. Also, I knew that Nate had grown up in Portland and knew the neighborhood he had lived in. I went to Gartner's Meats (a long-time local favorite) and tried to purchase some of their famous summer sausage to take back to Nate as a surprise from his old stomping grounds. Gartner's wouldn't hear of me paying for it, and send it with their thanks for Nate's service. I think Nate probably was more surprised by the sausage than the humble pieces of wood I traded him.
I've going to love turning this Ambrosa!!!!

Nate, thanks so much for the great afternoon and for your service.

Nate Davey
02-02-2012, 7:12 PM
Thanks again for the summer sausage and spectacular blanks. I feel guilty for only giving you rotten maple;). Glad to see you made it home safely. See you in June.

Mike Cruz
02-02-2012, 8:57 PM
Sounds like you two hit it off. Both sound very respectful of one another. Have fun turning that AM, Mike, and post pics!

Ted Calver
02-02-2012, 9:04 PM
Nice! How did you get the sausage through security???:D

mike ash
02-02-2012, 9:10 PM
Security at airports never seem to make sense to me. I had to take my shoes off, make sure my laptop was in a seperate plastic bin, had to have my deodorant and tooth paste in a ziplock baggie, and had to twirl around like a ballerina in the xray machine. But the 22" long summer sausage didn't even draw attention!

Mike Cruz
02-02-2012, 9:50 PM
Um, where was it?

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2012, 9:57 PM
Sounds like a cool visit! Glad you guys were able to get together for a bit! Gartner's Meats sounds like my kind of place and I will keep them in mind if I ever get the chance to head back out west!

Dan Forman
02-03-2012, 4:37 AM
Reminds me of a scene in the movie "Spinal Tap" :D

Glad you guys had a good visit.

Dan

John Keeton
02-03-2012, 6:13 AM
A meeting of creeker souls! Great stuff!

Mike Cruz
02-03-2012, 8:07 AM
Why, Dan, does one of their lathes' potentiometers go to 11? :D

Rob Sitze
02-03-2012, 8:31 AM
That's some mighty nice maple. Wish I could have met you but alas, work took priority.

David E Keller
02-03-2012, 8:36 AM
Very cool! Glad you two had a chance to meet... Even better that you'll have a chance to meet again soon!

@Cruz: I laughed out loud at your questioning the 'smuggling' of that sausage... I don't want to know the answer to your question!

mike ash
02-03-2012, 9:14 AM
@Cruz and his buddies......I'm quickly learning is dangerous to leave myself vunerable in the eyes of some of you folks.