PDA

View Full Version : Paintable Hardwoods

Ron Bott
02-02-2012, 5:56 PM
I wondering if there are any hardwoods that are known as good for accepting paint finish. I seem to recall poplar as being one, but I would prefer something a bit harder like walnut. Any ideas?

Chad Bender
02-02-2012, 5:58 PM
Maple is hard, and quite a bit cheaper (at least in central PA) than walnut.

John A langley
02-02-2012, 6:04 PM
Soft Maple, Hard Maple and Birch are all good. I like Poplar

John Gregory
02-02-2012, 6:05 PM
Poplar takes paint well, nice to work with and easy to mill. Maple is a great paint able wood to, if you need a harder wood.

Jeff Monson
02-02-2012, 6:19 PM
I really like soft maple for painted projects. Hard enough to be a durable product, reasonable enough on price and accepts paint very well. No pores to deal with either.

David Kumm
02-02-2012, 6:34 PM
Most woods that blotch when they are stained are pretty good painted. Dave

Bob Lang
02-02-2012, 6:48 PM
Especially after seeing them blotch.

Bob Lang

keith micinski
02-03-2012, 11:38 PM
MY wood guy was out of Poplar today so I bought some Bass wood to try on some closet doors I am making. I guess it isn't very hard though so we will see how things go.

Herb Linderman
02-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Big Tooth Aspen takes paint real nice and it is cheap. :)

Todd Burch
02-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I wondering if there are any hardwoods that are known as good for accepting paint finish. I seem to recall poplar as being one, but I would prefer something a bit harder like walnut. Any ideas?

If asked the other way:

I <was>wondering if there are any hardwoods that are known as bad for accepting <a> paint finish.

might be a better approach, as you would learn the woods to stay away from. Otherwise, you'll keep getting posts until every hardwood is mentioned (except the oily ones).

And since you asked... Stay away from oily woods when painting. ;)

Bill White
02-04-2012, 2:14 PM
If ya think that poplar is soft, wait 'till you see how basswood works. That is carving/decorative wood. It'll dent like crazy.
Bill

keith micinski
02-04-2012, 4:36 PM
Ya, I read that it was a soft carving wood but just machining it and moving it around it doesn't feel all that light or all that soft. Luckily I don't have any kids and most of the door is going to be frosted glass so I don't think durability will be much of an issue.