PDA

View Full Version : Michelle's truck reminded me...

Jamie Donaldson
02-02-2012, 1:38 PM
...of the national "Beads of Courage" program that I learned about at SWAT Symposium(TX) last year. This is a program of Arts in Medicine to support making containers for the beads of children undergoing treatments for a multitude of serious diseases such as cancer, and I brought the idea back to my 2 local AAW Chapters for possible participation. We are starting a project in cooperation with the big local children's hospital, and I encourage any of you to Google "Beads of Courage" for further info. There can be no better cause than supporting children facing life threatening diseases and multiple medical procedures.

Dan Forman
02-02-2012, 2:04 PM
Also very cool.

Dan

Steve Vaughan
02-02-2012, 2:06 PM
Yup, I like that too!

Tim Rinehart
02-02-2012, 2:28 PM
Jamie,
You're so right about giving back like that. I just left a message with a local hospital in our area that participates in the program to see how some of our local chapters can help out too.
For anyone interested in finding local hospitals that participate, go here: http://www.beadsofcourage.org/pages/hospitals.htm

Robert Newton
02-02-2012, 4:03 PM
When I taught woods in a middle school, we would set up production line and make toy trucks. Each student was given parts for two trucks which they could customize. I told them I would keep one of their trucks (my choice) and then would donate the truck to Children's Hospital in Milwaukee.