PDA

View Full Version : Peachtree Uni-T fence?

Matt Meiser
02-02-2012, 11:17 AM
On my new saw I'm using a Unifence--always been in Biesemeyer camp before. I'm really liking the Unifence so far except that I came upon my first need for a sacrificial fence for some rabbetting work. In my searches for ideas on mounting the sacrificial fence I keep running across recommendations on the Uni-T fence. It looks good for that--but I'm wondering if its really worth the $80? What else is the Uni-T good for? It seems like the Unifence is very prone to lifting at the back so I'm wondering if the featherboard setups they show are realistic? What other setups is it useful for?

Steven Lee, NC
02-02-2012, 5:12 PM
I bought it so I could mount board buddies but I haven't unpacked it out of the box yet :o I didn't know about it being prone to lifting up in the back so I will clamp it down when i do get around to using it.

Mike Heidrick
02-02-2012, 5:17 PM
Do a search on Christopher Merrill Bigafence

http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/images/bigafence.jpg

I made when back when I had a unifence and it was very nice.

Charles Lent
02-02-2012, 5:53 PM
I have the longest length Uni-T-Fence on my Unisaw. Actually, I've also kept the original Unifence as well, and I change them depending on the use that I have planned. I think the long (43") Uni-T-Fence is heavy enough that it doesn't lift. It seems to have enough weight that it has never lifted when I have used it with feather boards that were ahead of or above the saw blade without any problems. The T slots on top are great for attaching Board Buddies or other fixtures. For a sacrificial fence, I use the Rockler fence clamps http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17821 to attach a sacrificial fence board to the face of my Uni-T-Fence. They allow the sacrificial fence to go on and off very quickly and easily.

Charley

CPeter James
02-02-2012, 9:03 PM
I have looked at these two years in a row at the Woodworking Show and almost bought one this year. My question is, how straight are they? My Uni is pretty good, not perfect, but nearly so. Are the Uni-Ts really straight. I am kind of fussy about the way my machines are set up - I can make enough mistakes myself without my machines making some for me. The short one (about 16" long) that they had at the show was pretty good, but 43" is a lot longer and has a lot more chance to have a sweep in it.

CPeter

Frank Martin
02-03-2012, 1:37 AM
I have the longest one on my Uni. You are right, it is not straight. It should be possible to shim the UHMW face to make it straight, but I have not done that yet.

I have looked at these two years in a row at the Woodworking Show and almost bought one this year. My question is, how straight are they? My Uni is pretty good, not perfect, but nearly so. Are the Uni-Ts really straight. I am kind of fussy about the way my machines are set up - I can make enough mistakes myself without my machines making some for me. The short one (about 16" long) that they had at the show was pretty good, but 43" is a lot longer and has a lot more chance to have a sweep in it.

CPeter

Rick Potter
02-03-2012, 3:55 AM
Matt,

I simply drilled three 1/4" holes along the fence, about an inch and a half down. Matching holes in a sacrificial board and bolts with wing nuts have worked fine for me for years. Sometimes simple is best.

Rick Potter

keith micinski
02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I love this fence and use it with Board buddies any time I am cutting wide stuff. Well, almost any time.

keith micinski
02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
By the way My Uni-t was pretty straight from the factory but the UHMW piece was actually just a little bit shy of being flush with the top so I took it off and put a piece of tape behind it and it was perfect. I do wish it would be perfect right out of the box but I also like the fact that it can be adjusted to be perfect using regular tools and techniques.