PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Know How to?

ken gibbs
02-02-2012, 9:10 AM
Does anybody out there know how to modify a Grizzly G0462 lathe so that I can add a very slow RPM feature? The OEM digital RPM readout show the lowest speed available are in the 650 rpm range. Sometimes this is a bit harry when I start to rough out a bowl blank and would like to get a speed range down in the 250-300 rpm range. Can I use a potentiometer pot? If so, how is it wired and selected? Thanks.

Ken Gibbs

Dick Strauss
02-02-2012, 9:27 AM
Ken,
you can't control the speed of a standard AC motor with a pot. Since this lathe is a reeves drive unit, you'll have to modify the mechanical portion of the speed control. If you don't see any notches and the handle gets pulled out to select a new speed and in to set the speed, it is probably like the Jet (see below). If notches show around the perimeter of the speed selector, it is probably like the Delta (see below). Do a search on one of the major search engines and you'll find tutorials on the subject.

If it is like the Jet 1442, you can drill extra holes behind the speed selector plate at about the 6-8 oclock positions IIRC. This mod does not sacrifice any speeds. There is alimit to how many and how far apart the holes are spaced.

If it is like the delta 1440, you can remove the speed selector handle, rotate it a few notches, and reassemble for slower speeds. This mod sacrifices top end speed.

robert baccus
02-05-2012, 11:44 PM
My first lathewas a griz also. i had the same problem. here's one solution. i turned an 11" handwheel with a v groove to replace the griz handwheel. on the floor i mounted a free washing machine motor on a hinge with a small v grove pully. added a belt and the hinge allowed tension for the belt. it worked--just luck but it worked. for roughing out i plugged in the WM motor and it turned about 70-80 rpm. probably saved my neck as i was a rank beginner.------old forester