PDA

View Full Version : Hollowing rigs

Bob Rotche
02-02-2012, 8:07 AM
I've finally decided to take the plunge and buy a hollowing rig. Just trying to decide which is the right one. This forum seems to be partial to Monster and at this point I am leaning toward their articulated arm system. I've been e-mailing with Randy from Monster and he has been pushing the articulated arm over the captured system even though the captured is a bit more expensive. Was wondering if anyone prefers a different brand over Monster and why, or is this a situation where they all are pretty good once you get used to them and most people are happy with what they have. This will be used with a Powermatic 3520b. All input is appreciated.

John Keeton
02-02-2012, 8:22 AM
Bob, in the many similar threads, it seems that folks end up liking what they have - mainly because they researched all of the choices and/or were able to try them out. Some folks prefer one system over the others for one reason or another. I have played with the Jamieson, the JT Turning, the Carter, looked at the elbow, and settled on the Monster. I have not seen nor used the Kobra. They all have their nuances, but for a variety of reasons, I prefer the Monster.

As to the articulated vs. captured, I think that depends more on the type of work you do. I do not have the captured system, but have played with it. The articulated is more compact, a bit easier to move around, and suits my needs. That said, I feel certain I will end up with the captured, as well!

charlie knighton
02-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Bob, a national symposium is the best place to see and try out many different hollowing systems, san jose will be in june, can you wait that long, or tampa in '13 is even a longer wait.

Harvey Ghesser
02-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Bob, I have opted for the Kobra. A youtube video is available. Pricier than the others. Worth a look. I have been on the waiting list since last May and received a phone call yesterday informing me that it will be shipped to me in a week. WooHoo!!

A couple others here have the Kobra.

Roger Chandler
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Bob,

I went hands on with a Jamieson captured rig at our symposium in Oct. 2010........it is nice and smooth............I liked it......I like my Monster articulated better............smooth, ease of movement, and the ability to add a heavier bar makes it able to go deeper yet..........as much as most captive systems in my opinion that would fit on a 3520b or lesser lathe.

Do you turn on a Jet 1642? The articulated system will do anything just about you would want to do on a lathe of 20" swing or less.

Not trying to sell you on anything here, but just let you know what my experience has been............I am glad I made the decision I did, and knowing even more now than I knew at the time I made the decision to get the Monster.............I would go with the monster again.......after having said that...........if I had lots of funds available, the Kobra system would be a definite contender as well.......a super rig from what I understand...........however, not likely you would do anything with the Kobra you could not do with the monster.

Kind of like taking a trip in a Hummer or a Chevy........both will get you there, but the Hummer is heavier!

Bob Rotche
02-02-2012, 2:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Will check out the Kobra. Roger, its great to hear from someone who has tried different units. Suspect all the major brands would do a fine job. Probably can't go wrong with any of them though still leaning towards the monster at this point.

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-02-2012, 2:51 PM
Bob if your looking for a Deep Hollowing boring bar check out the Advanced Lathe tools boring bars available from the Sanding Glove. I have been using them for a little over 4 yrs now. Hard to beet for Deep hollowing. The bars start at 1" dia and go bigger so there not designed for small hollow forms with small openings, but rather tall vase style forms.

Bill Wyko
02-02-2012, 3:08 PM
IMHO the Kobra is the best thing I've seen so far. I don't have one yet but it's on my to get list. There's a waiting list for them due to the demand but worth getting on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwcx-T6UnZ0

David E Keller
02-02-2012, 3:16 PM
I've got both versions of the monster, but I've yet to use the captive version... I tend toward smaller forms, and I like the smooth operation of the articulated system. I played with the Carter this past weekend three days after having both carpal tunnels released... Pretty smooth! The JT Turnings articulated is called the Gizmo... It's quite beefy, and I suspect it would be better than the monster for larger forms. Although I've not seen the Kobra, it seems to be analogous to the Gizmo as far as the heft of the rig.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably wait until a major symposium and take them all for a test drive... I'm not at all unhappy with the monster, but I've wondered about the Kobra and the Gizmo since I purchased. Both of those units seem to be heftier than the monster... I don't know that I'd like them, but I have wondered.

John Keeton
02-02-2012, 3:42 PM
Bob, it slipped my mind, but Rick Markham has both the Monster and the Kobra, and Jack Mincey has the Kobra. Rick has posted a Kobra thread as I recall.

Check this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?166531-Kobra-hollowing-system).

robert raess
02-02-2012, 5:41 PM
do any of these systems allow you to get under the shoulder of a HF,like a swan neck can? thanks rob

Roger Chandler
02-02-2012, 7:11 PM
do any of these systems allow you to get under the shoulder of a HF,like a swan neck can? thanks rob

You can put a swan neck bar on a monster system.......they sell one for it!

Jack Mincey
02-02-2012, 8:52 PM
I have used a Jamison system that a friend had and my Kobra system. The Kobra is much easier for me to use since it has a handle that is in line with the boring bar which allows me to hollow just like I do when free hand hollowing which I still do on HF's less than 8" deep. The Kobra is so much smoother and more solid to use. I've hollowed up to 14" deep now with the 1" bar I bought with the Kobra system and it is rock solid. The Jamison was much harder for me to control even with a 1 1/4" bar. I bought a 3/4" adapter with the Kobra so that I can use my John Jordan curved boring bars with it and they work wonderful together. I hope to get a larger bar for the Kobra system some day so that I can hollow down to 20+ inches as some do that have the system.
Happy Shopping,
Jack Mincey

Bob Rotche
02-02-2012, 9:04 PM
Thanks for the links, John. Looks like the Kobra warrants some serious investigation. I will pm Rick Markham if he doesn't chime in since he owns both and can give a direct comparison. Thanks to all who took the time to answer.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Has anyone tried the Rollie Munro system? He has a shrouded cutter. Seems really interesting. Its on my want list.

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-03-2012, 9:01 PM
Has anyone tried the Rollie Munro system? He has a shrouded cutter. Seems really interesting. Its on my want list.

Kyle I've been using the Rolly Munro cutter in my boring bars from Advanced Lathe Tools for over 4 yrs now. There's a small learning curve but once you get it set right it cuts lake a dream. I've hollowed up to 32" deep with my system.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2012, 9:50 PM
Bob I have both the monster articulating arm and the monster captured system. I find myself going to the articulating arm but do use the captured system on larger and deeper vases. I like the articulating arm unit and it is a well built piece.