PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 733 is here

Dahl Troy Perry
02-02-2012, 5:42 AM
Well it is here and it is heavy .I got it put to geather and put in place no time to turn .

Michael McCurley
02-02-2012, 6:57 AM
Yeah baby. that's what I'm talk'n about.

Way cool Dahl. I hope I can get mine together as quickly. It is sched between 2 and 6 pm today. we'll see. I still have to recruit some folks to help with heavy lifting.

oh, and I have to decide exactly where it goes so I can get the power installed.

Good luck and thanks for the pic.

Roger Chandler
02-02-2012, 6:59 AM
Okay........now the fun starts! That looks right at home in your shop Dahl................Let us know how you like it, and show us your turnings when you get it made..........looks like you can have two projects going at once with that Delta and the G0733.

John Keeton
02-02-2012, 7:08 AM
Congrats, Dahl! And, I guess a stealth congrats to Michael, as well, and a welcome to the creek!

Roger has been well pleased with his prior version, and I am sure you will be, as well.

Tom Winship
02-02-2012, 7:42 AM
Congrats guys. Dahl, your picture would be a good advertisement for Grizzly; "Out with the old, in with the new".

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Congrats Dahl! Looking forward to seeing your first turning off it!

Welcome to the Creek Michael! Be sure to post photos of your lathe once it arrives!

Baxter Smith
02-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Congrats! Looks like you both are in for some fun!

Harvey Ghesser
02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Congrats on the new addition, Dahl!

Doug Herzberg
02-02-2012, 2:48 PM
Congratulations. Looks like mine with a different motor and paint. Looking forward to seeing some shavings on the floor and hearing how you like it.

Dahl Troy Perry
02-02-2012, 3:59 PM
Michael here are some thinge you should do when you start puting your 733 togeather:eek: file the edge's of the table mine had sharp edges my table was kind of rought so I used a inda stone on the hole bed. Then file the bottom edges of the head , tale stock and banjo they all have shart edges . Then stone the bottoms of them they will slide better. I had to put oil on my tail stock quill it was tite but it came out of it with oil. One thing that I thought Grizzy skimp on was the door that covers the belts they put a phillips screw in they should have used a thumb screw so you don't have to get a screwdriver out every time you change from high to low speed. Now looking forward to the weekend to try it out:D

Roger Chandler
02-02-2012, 4:05 PM
. One thing that I thought Grizzy skimp on was the door that covers the belts they put a phillips screw in they should have used a thumb screw so you don't have to get a screwdriver out every time you change from high to low speed. Now looking forward to the weekend to try it out:D

I replaced that cover screw with a thumb screw on my G0698......got it from the hardware store........just be aware that it has metric threads.

Ian James Webster
02-02-2012, 4:15 PM
Looking forward to reading your review. I've been looking at one of these myself.

Dahl Troy Perry
02-02-2012, 4:20 PM
Everything on it is metric:mad: the tool post is 25MM not 1in I made one and it was 1in so now I will remake it 25MM. I need to buy a chuck for it but don't know what to get ? My other chuck is a Barrcuda 4 from Pen State and the gear rack that the chuck key turns is rolling over where the key slips.

Chris Studley
02-02-2012, 4:56 PM
Very Cool Dahl,

I've been eyeing the 0733. The mild items you noted seem to be fairly minor for the extra 2" of swing and the several hundered dollar savings vs. the jet1642.

Is it possible to bore out the Banjo to accept the 1" allowing you to use the standard aftermarket items? There should only be a 0.4 mm diameter difference, this may be tedious but it would be a one time thing.

Is the chuck issue a resullt of mating to the new lathe or is it something that has been creeping up as an issue and the fancy new lathe make the issue stand out?

Fred Belknap
02-02-2012, 5:59 PM
Everything on it is metric:mad: the tool post is 25MM not 1in I made one and it was 1in so now I will remake it 25MM. I need to buy a chuck for it but don't know what to get ? My other chuck is a Barrcuda 4 from Pen State and the gear rack that the chuck key turns is rolling over where the key slips.

It is simpler to drill out the banjo to one inch. The original tool post will still work and it will accept any aftermarket tool rest. You may have some issues with a chuck fitting correctly but it is an easy fix. I had to grind the collar on the spindle to get my Oneway chucks to work on my G0698, it only takes a few minutes. Some issues that I think Grizzly should address. It is a very good lathe and I have enjoyed using mine. If you run into a problem let us know.

Robert McGowen
02-02-2012, 6:11 PM
Now just cover up that table saw with blanks and turning tools and you will be all set! :)

Dahl Troy Perry
02-02-2012, 7:01 PM
The chuck issues are from use on my Delta lathe and old Record lathe. It's just showing ware so I thought would try a differant brand my barracuda 4 chuck has a 1 1/2 thread so I would have to make a adapter to the 1 1/4-8 thread.

Roger Chandler
02-02-2012, 7:07 PM
it really is a simple thing to enlarge the hole with a 1 inch bit.........what I did for mine, and you will need the correct adapter for your chuck like you mentioned.......this is a lot of lathe for the money..........from what I can tell after all my research, likely the most value for a full featured lathe.........

Looking forward to your first project with it Dahl........