PDA

View Full Version : African Sumac - before and after

Kathy Marshall
02-01-2012, 11:54 PM
I turned and posted this little hf a couple of weeks ago, and since then it's been sitting near a window that gets some filtered sunlight. It has colored up nicely! Just a coat of danish oil after it was finished, no other finishes since the 1st pic was taken.
Before
After
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
02-02-2012, 6:54 AM
This kind of confirms what Raffan wrote in his book that all woods eventually will become muted shades of brown. I look at some of the spalted pieces, and others that have distinct coloring, and think how unfortunate it is that they will all fade over time. Really, it is only those woods with figure of some sort that will retain significant character.

Richard Jones
02-02-2012, 7:30 AM
What John said.

I really liked the "original", reminded me of those multi-colored-sand glass jars that you see. Having said that, I still like the "second" piece too. You can't hide class and great form.

I guess that's one thing that our "medium" has over a lot of others, the dynamics that are unceasing. Hmmmm, I feel a deep "sig line" saying coming on............

It's a great piece regardless of the coloring.

Rich

Doug W Swanson
02-02-2012, 8:41 AM
That's quite the transformation. The first picture looks nice but the second one is much better!

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Wow! You can't beat the natural aging process! Sure has some rich coloring!

Baxter Smith
02-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Neat change. The second one has such a warm color now.

Harvey Ghesser
02-02-2012, 11:25 AM
definitely developed a warmth...