PDA

View Full Version : Delta Air Cleaner

Mike Wilkins
03-18-2005, 9:18 AM
Anyone out there in wood land have the Delta AP100 air cleaner in your shop?
This is the triangle-shaped unit with the built-in light. I need to give my lungs
a break, and the local Lowes has them.
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Mike,

If you are interested you can build one yourself and probably end up with a unit that has more CFM. This will mean that your shop is cleaned more often (even better for your lungs). Finally an Air Cleaner is meant to remove air borne dust, it is really not meant to be a health protection, just keeps the shop cleaner. I admit I am not very good about lung protection either, but to really protect your lungs, you need a personal respirator.

Here a link to My shop built air cleaner (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=16883) if you are interested.

Tom Hintz
03-18-2005, 4:16 PM
I have the AP100 in my shop and it does an OK job. (See the link below for my review)
The shop is definately cleaner but it is not as powerful as the larger, square units. I found dthat it works best being hung in the center of the shop as it draws air in both ends and exhuasts out one side of the middle.
It will clear the air though. I recently had a bunch of sanding to do and noticed I forgot to turn the AC on and the shop was now cloudy with dust. I thured on the AP100 and it took about 15 mintues and the air looked clear anyway.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/deltaap100rvu.html

Mike Holbrook
03-18-2005, 4:38 PM
The post that was bellow this one was also on dealing with shop dust. It got me thinking. I am concerned about those air-borne dust particles too. It seems to me that many dust collection systems suck up the big particles and launch the small ones (which pass through the filter or bag) into the air. I can see how a suction system that moves the air to an outside collector might improve things, but now we are pumping all our cooled or heated air out of the building. I guess an air filtration system that can stop micro particles will eventually remove them, but want we be breathing them until it does and want many dust collectors keep putting more micro particles in the air every time they run?

I can see why Jeff suggests the use of a respirator. I have been using the newer 18 gal. Shop.vac brand contractor vac. These vacuums can be equipped with bags. The bags come in two types, one is designed to stop micro particles like sheet rock dust and the other is not. Both bags seem to stop pretty small particles. I am not so sure that a dust collector and air filtration system will improve the amount of potentially dangerous micro particles I am breathing.

bryan w
03-18-2005, 4:53 PM
I recently decided to build a downdraft table that will also serve as an air filter. With some good furnace filters one can clean the air fairly well.

Jim Reed
03-18-2005, 4:58 PM
I use a similar unit and recommend the Delta. ANY type of air cleaning is better than none. The sawdust you step on is annoying, but those small airborne particles are lung killers.

Mike Holbrook
03-18-2005, 5:13 PM
Good point! I have seen some designs for downdraft sanding benches too. I am also planing to build one. Since I am a small time hobby "wood head" I am also trying to learn to use hand tools like: planes, micro planes, scrapers... Those power tools, especially sanders, are quick to fill the air with dust. Make shavings not dust! is my motto :)

Rick Thom
03-18-2005, 9:29 PM
Greetings Mike,
I have 1 of these units and it works well in my application.
A few details... reasonably small basement shop @ 20x30'x7'.
I also have my table saw, sanding table, router, planner etc connected dirrectly to a 2hp King dust collector so this is an ambient dust collector.
It has 4 filters; 1 coarse on each end, and 1 fine felt-type (5 micron) that sits separately behind the coarse ones. I can easily remove and clean(vacumn) the filters when necessary.
The unit handles @ 400 cfpm which creates quite a stir and cleans the air in the shop in nothing flat. Keeps peace with wife too. :) The 5 micron looks after most of the fine dust which is important for me because I like to work with hardwood. It can also do a good job on drywall dust in construction areas. It has a worklight (@ 18" flor) on bottom.
Designed to hang.
Weak points: a little noisy., only 1 speed.
Strengths: effective, portable (@ 40lbs!!), easy to service filters., reasonable price.
Thats about it.
Bought mine from HD @ $200. cdn in Nov. (thought that was a great deal) Then after Christmas saw them there again for $100. !! Bargin
Would I buy another: YES.
Cheers, Rick.

Mike McCann
01-13-2009, 4:52 PM
I know I am resurrecting an old thread. I have the Delta AP 100 and I am looking to purchase the two 5 micron filters. DOes anyone know where to purchase them have done a web search without any luck. The one place that lists them is on back order with no response to emails.

thanks
Mike

RickT Harding
01-13-2009, 5:02 PM
I know I am resurrecting an old thread. I have the Delta AP 100 and I am looking to purchase the two 5 micron filters. DOes anyone know where to purchase them have done a web search without any luck. The one place that lists them is on back order with no response to emails.

thanks
Mike

When I bought new filters I had to get them from the dewalt order site. It's not easy to find/order but they did arrive. Pricey for sure.

Ryan Siniawski
11-19-2014, 6:43 PM
I recently acquired a brand new Delta AP 200 with the foam packaging still inside. It was given to me as "broken" and only had a bad rocker switch. When wired with a replacement male end, it works great! As stated in an earlier post, the unit only has one speed. I was wondering if it is possible to wire in a fan speed controller or fan dimmer to give it a low setting? The unit will be used in a two car garage shop and it would be nice to operate the unit at a lower speed, for less noise and air flow, when not sanding or machining. Thanks for your insight!