PDA

View Full Version : Beware! New Scam

Fred LeBail
03-18-2005, 8:05 AM
I have some articles for sale on another site and got a reply that didn.t sound just right. Did some research and found another one the same only the countries were changed. Here is the link to view the scam.

www.photo.net/neighbor/view-one?neighbor_to_neighbor_id=194507

Jeff Sudmeier
03-18-2005, 9:01 AM
I have not yet received any of these scam emails, but my cousin did receive one once. He went back and forth with him over sending cash instead of the check. Finally the crook gave up.

Mike Weaver
03-18-2005, 9:27 AM
Guys, I think this thread is a bit off topic, but important enough to toss in a tidbit.

No legitimate business would EVER send you unsolicited email that requests you "update your credentials using this link".

That's called "phishing" (sounds like fishing...for good reason).

The crooks have gotten clever enough to use something called unicode to make a link even appear to look correct when you put you mouse over it. (in actuality, it's a link to a crook's site that could just forward you to the legit site...but capture account info at the same time).

If you receive any suspect email, be sure to forward it (with complete headers if possible) to the admins/security folks of the business being affected.

Also, do NOT click on links in said email. If you need to contact the institution, do it by google searching the firm's name if need be.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled woodworking discussion.

Cheers,
-Mike:D

Bill Arnold
03-18-2005, 2:31 PM
Guys, I think this thread is a bit off topic, ...
That's why it's in the 'Off Topic Forum'.

I get several e-mails every day that are similar or related to this scam.

I can't tell you how many millions of dollars I've turned down and all I would have had to do was give them a bank account number in which to deposit the funds. ;)

I don't bother clicking on the link to 'update my account information' at a bank with which I do not do business. I've received e-mails supposedly from every major bank -- except the one where we have accounts.

I make purchases routinely via the Internet, but never with the same credit card number twice. There are two different systems whereby I can generate a single-use number for a transaction.

People tell me they will never purchase via the Internet because of security concerns and yet they don't understand that everything about them is routinely transmitted over Internet channels. Even when you write a check, the data is transmitted electronically as is the check image.

We cannot get away from the openness of information exchange today, but we don't have to fall victim to offers that are 'too good to be true'.

Regards,

Dennis Peacock
03-18-2005, 2:50 PM
Just adopt my way of operation.....

If it ain't from somebody I know or do business with......the email message gets deleted without giving it another thought. ;) No problems here. :D