PDA

View Full Version : New landlord has never owned commercial

Phil Thien
02-01-2012, 8:54 PM
The building my business is located in changed hands a few months ago.

The new owner decided we needed new storefronts. There were some broken window panes in some of the other units. The panes were large enough that finding tempered glass that was large enough would be problematic. I don't know anything about this, but was told most tempering ovens couldn't handle such large pieces, that the glass would have to be shipped in, the color would be off, blah blah blah.

So the new owner hired an outfit to replace the frames and glass. All new. The frames would be broken into smaller areas.

But the outfit is run by screw-ups. They measured wrong. And they measured like six times.

But they still screwed-up and when they were all done, the threshold for my door was almost 2" above ground!

So it is a huge trip hazard.

And to fill the space under the threshold, they used a piece of pressure-treated.

The bottom pivot is simply screwed into the pressure-treated.

Now they want to feather some concrete outside the door up to the threshold, and add some sort of transition on the inside. Of course, you can't just feather a layer of concrete on top of the existing concrete, because it will just flake off the other concrete in a year's time. And they are talking about some sort of oak transition on the inside.

I can't believe they screwed this up. I overheard the installers talking and they acknowledged they screwed-up. They knew before they started that the threshold wouldn't be on the ground. They proceeded anyhow.

BTW, one other store came out the same way, while the third is fine.

The new building owner has never owned commercial before, and it shows. I've been in commercial space for 25 years, and know how long these installs will last.

Sorry for venting.

I think someone upstairs is telling me to just ditch the retail and work from home. My wife is all for that. I like having a place to go, a change of scenery.

Has anyone ever made a threshold out of stone, like granite? I've seen granite used for steps on This Old House. They fire it so it has a rough (non-slip) texture. I'm thinking if I could get a piece of granite cut, and maybe have a bevel put on both sides? Probably pretty labor intensive? Where do I go? I supposed I could try a countertop place. Or somewhere that makes grave markers?

Ben Hatcher
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
I'd look for architectural/building stone companies. They'll have the saws needed to cut large bevels like that. I'd think a countertop company would only be set up to cut thinner pieces than you'd need.

Don Jarvie
02-02-2012, 3:01 PM
Unless the storefront is generating income for you maybe you should consider re-locating. Think of the money you spend on rent and utilities that you could put into a shop in your yard (assuming you do woodwork for a living).

Phil Thien
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Unless the storefront is generating income for you maybe you should consider re-locating. Think of the money you spend on rent and utilities that you could put into a shop in your yard (assuming you do woodwork for a living).

Sorry I wasn't clear, I work on computers for a living.

I still like handling retail trade.

But taking care of retail is beginning to take a toll on commercial, that is for sure.

Phil Thien
02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
So I told new owner I was moving today. He said he'd do anything needed to fix it, replace if necessary (duh, unless you have a way to stretch an aluminum jamb about 2", you're going to need to replace). But still sounded promising.

But after he left, his on-site manager cut a deal with the installers that will leave a half-assed job.

I have noticed that the on-site manager is buddy-buddy with his window friends.

I think I see how the new "system" is going to work.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Sounds like a city inspector would want to know about this job and the people who did it.

Most municipalities will not allow such work to stay in place.

jtk

Rod Sheridan
02-03-2012, 9:56 AM
Sounds like a city inspector would want to know about this job and the people who did it.

jtk

Bingo, building standards usually take of that sort of stuff from a safety perspective........Rod.

Phil Thien
02-03-2012, 10:06 AM

jtk

You gave me an idea.

It seems the owner really WANTS to have nice work done. He seems to care. He is paying $30k for three doors and a bunch of glass, and he wants it done right. But his employee wants his glass guys to be his buddies.

So yesterday the glass guys proposed a half-assed solution, and the on-site manager agreed to it. And the manager thinks everything is good.

So I talked to the owner this morning and noted that, not only is the solution for my door half-assed, the door installed next storefront over doesn't meet ADA (threshold can't be > .75" above the ground, with a bevel on either side, their door has a > 2" hump).

Before I said that, I told him "I'm not the kind of guy that is going to make trouble. I'm just not that guy. I'll never turn a guy in. But, I'm telling you, that if an inspector shows up, he is going to pitch a fit because one of the stores is already in trouble for having a bathroom that isn't ADA."

I thought I would spook the owner, that he would think I was threatening him.

Instead he was relieved. His employee, acting as his agent, had already consented to crappy work. Not much he could do about it. But no employee can consent to violating ADA. So the owner is calling the inspector hoping for a red-tag. Owner can then withhold payment until the INSPECTOR is happy. And I'm probably going to be out of the middle.

We just need an inspector that cares about ADA. And I think we already have one.

You see? Your idea, with a slight twist, was genius.

If it works out. I suppose something could still derail. But I'm somewhat hopeful.

The ADA is important, BTW. We have four customers in wheelchairs that DO visit on occasion. My father was in a wheelchair for the last several years of his life. It seems that in the case of a door which is being replaced, all you have to do is make sure the door is wide enough, and the threshold is on the ground (like the door you're replacing). So failing to get the threshold on the ground is kind of inexcusable, crappy work. Not asking anyone to add door openers or anything. Just at least match the previous door for accessibility, for crying out loud.

Jim Koepke
02-03-2012, 12:50 PM
If it works out. I suppose something could still derail. But I'm somewhat hopeful.

Phil,

Let us know how this comes out.

ADA can be a pain, but inspectors get paid to be a pain.

If one is going to do construction or upgrades they need to be familiar with accessibility issues. One needs to remember that switches and thermostats, even fire extinguishers, need to be accessible, not just toilet stalls.

jtk

Don Jarvie
02-03-2012, 1:45 PM
Building Inspectors usually don't like shoddy work or not following code. Even worse they hate people not pulling permits so the Inspector should make sure everything is right.

Sounds like the owner needs to hire a new property manager that has the owners interest in mind and not his own. I'm sure there was a little "something" from the window people to the property manager to say thank you.

Phil Thien
02-03-2012, 8:25 PM
Building Inspectors usually don't like shoddy work or not following code. Even worse they hate people not pulling permits so the Inspector should make sure everything is right.

Sounds like the owner needs to hire a new property manager that has the owners interest in mind and not his own. I'm sure there was a little "something" from the window people to the property manager to say thank you.

I think the building owner is beginning to figure out that the manager is in the wrong line of work.

Phil Thien
02-04-2012, 10:13 AM
I thought I'd upload a few pics of the door as it stands now.

As you can see, there is a 1-1/8" thick piece of pressure treated under the door. They also used a rubber block under the left side of the pressure treated to get it level (no matter what, the opening isn't going to be level, they're going to have to compensate for that with a sweep).

The top pivot is already crooked because the pivot side of the frame isn't straight.

I included a picture of the pet shop's threshold. It came out much the same way, but they just globbed down some cement to raise the threshold. I'd imagine that, when it warms up, that cement will just start popping off the concrete underneath.

I'm standing firm that the frame should come all the way to the ground (it stops 2" above ground now), and that the threshold should be firmly on concrete, with no pressure treated underneath. BTW, their solution for the frame not coming to the ground was "we will caulk it." LOL. No, you won't.

The owner wants to increase my rent enough that this work would be paid for in about 8-9 years of me paying rent. Seeing as I'm the one paying for it, I guess I'm the one they're going to have to make happy. :)

Jerome Stanek
02-04-2012, 7:24 PM
It would seem that they could add a rail below the one that is there and move the hinge down.

Phil Thien
02-04-2012, 8:34 PM
It would seem that they could add a rail below the one that is there and move the hinge down.

I don't think it would be that easy, as it would require machining the frame for the new hinge locations (the frame is actually "mortised" for the center pivot). That level of work is way beyond these installers.

Not to mention, it would leave holes behind at the old locations.

Jerome Stanek
02-05-2012, 7:09 AM
They could also remove the top rail and replace it with a 4 inch unit. I have had this done on store fronts to repair damaged doors from break ins on Revco drug stores.