PDA

View Full Version : Crosscut Blade Review

glenn bradley
02-01-2012, 8:38 PM
I was lucky enough to get my hands on another piece of Jerrimy Snook’s (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?75494-Jerrimy-Snook) (Snook's Saw (http://www.snooks-saw.com/index.htm)) handy work. Tom Walz (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?9338-Tom-Walz)over at Carbide Processors (http://www.carbideprocessors.com/) got us hooked up for a crosscut blade requirement I had. I normally run thin kerf blades and have little to complain about. My Zipcode saw is rated at 1-3/4 HP, is very well aligned and performs admirably.

A recent project had me crosscutting quite a bit of thicker stock and having had experience with Carbide Processors/Snook’s cutters before, I wondered if I could do even better than my usual blades. My primary concern was putting a strain on the lower powered saw while maintaining a high tooth count for a smooth cut. Jerrimy tooled me up an 80 tooth full kerf blade and here’s the scoop:

The blade arrived well packed and with the teeth protected by a plastic dip.

The plate sports expansion slots with plugs. I purposely took one of my sleds out of alignment and went through the setup procedure so I would have a known baseline to judge from.

For fun I took a 1/16” slice off the end of a checked piece of hardwood. The cut left the barely supported internal section intact. I had expected this area to get blown out.

I took a crosscut through some 1-3/4” walnut. Nice clean cut and moving the material through the blade was almost effortless.

Cut some 5/4 walnut. The top and the bottom side were nice and clean.

222243 222244

Here’s some ¾” ash. The little pores between the growth rings are cut clean without distortion.

222245 222246

I grabbed a piece of QSWO as it can be burn prone. No problem.

Cont'd . . .

glenn bradley
02-01-2012, 8:39 PM
I even took a tip from the Forrest dog and pony presentations at the woodworking shows; I stopped feeding half way through this cut and just sat there for about 15 seconds . . . I couldn’t even tell where I had stopped feeding. No burn, no mill marks at all; very nice.

222247 222248

Jerrimy takes tooth geometry to a bit of an art form. I can't speak to the science of this blade. I can say that is cuts creepy-quiet and with very little effort even on my sub-2HP saw. If you get a chance to try any of Tom's or Jerrimy's cutters, I would sure take advantage of it.

Mike Cutler
02-02-2012, 5:27 AM
Glenn

Timely post.I was just thinking about ordering some new blades. I don't think I've purchased a blade in over 5 years.
I need a "real" plywood blade for making the kitchen cabinets.

Mike

Bobby O'Neal
02-02-2012, 6:19 AM
That's a sweet looking cut. What does the blade cost? Didn't see a price in the link.

Dick Mahany
02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Glen,

Nice review and thanks for the pics. I'm looking for a new blade after having several WWIIs, but I need it to cut a flat bottom kerf for box joints. What grind does this blade have?

Tom Walz
02-02-2012, 1:17 PM
Carbide Processors sells Jerrimy’s saw blades under our World’s Best label.

Having been inspired by Mr. Bradley we have added the following five blades which we are calling our Furniture Pro blades. These are the five blades we most commonly see for small shops that do extremely high end work.

Custom Blade Prices
10" x 24T, Either Flat top or TCG Rip Blades, Cermet 2 tips,
Snook’s price $84.00 – Carbide Processors’ $75.60

10 x 30T, TCG Glue line rip blades, Cermet 2
Snook’s Price $98.00 – Carbide Processors’ $88.20

10" x 50T, Planer/Budke Combination blade, Cermet 2 tips, $118.00
Snook’s Price $118.00 – Carbide Processors’ $106.20

10" x 60T, General Purpose ATB Cross cut and occasional rip, Cermet 2
Snook’s Price $138.00 – Carbide Processors’ $124.20

10" x 80T, Hi ATB for Laminate and Veneer, Cermet 2 tips
Snook’s Price $178.00 – Carbide Processors’ $160.20

We do the marketing and promotion so Jerrimy gives us a discount which we pass on.

I wish to thank Mr. Bradley for the kind remarks. In return please let me say that he has been an absolute pleasure to work with. He is a fine, gracious gentleman. He is also able to describe his wants and needs very clearly. (If you have ever tried to build something for somebody who really didn't know what they wanted you'll understand what I mean.)

Jerrimy is a third generation saw builder. He and his father have been customers of ours for decades especially for our advanced carbide grades. A few years ago we decided to make the World’s Best Saw Blades using his skill and our advanced materials.

Guaranatee:
Snook’s saw service does an excellent job but sometimes a custom blade needs a little tuning to satisfy the customer completely. Every blade we sell has a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We will tune it or tailor it as you wish. We will rebuild it entirely at our cost if necessary. We will certainly issue a full refund if we cannot satisfy you.

Tom Walz
Carbide Processors

Tom Walz
02-02-2012, 1:42 PM
Mr. Mahany:

We will make a blade anyway you wish and guarantee the results.

The first blade we supplied Mr. Bradley was gave the kind of cut you wish.
I believe that was a 4 +1 (ATB + Raker)
$118.00 Our price $106.20

If you wish we will be happy to set up an appointment to talk to Jerrimy about your wishes.

Simply email
sales@carbideprocessors.com
or call 800 346-8274

glenn bradley
02-02-2012, 1:55 PM
Glen,Nice review and thanks for the pics. I'm looking for a new blade after having several WWIIs, but I need it to cut a flat bottom kerf for box joints. What grind does this blade have?As Tom states, I reviewed a blade for the purpose you state here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161965-Review-Carbide-Processors-1-8-quot-Groover&highlight=).

If they are larger box joints, I move to a dado stack and the Freud SD-508 has served me very well in this task. There are many fine dado sets to choose from so, aside from the bargain stuff, I would say any good set will do for wider fingers.