PDA

View Full Version : help being asked for.

Steve bellinger
02-01-2012, 7:02 PM
I'm working on a piece that's no where near close to what it's going to be. guessing that i still have at least 40 hrs lelt, or more. My ? not sure what the base should look like on some thing like this,and what color do you think the dragon should be? The wife and one son thinks shades of brown with gray. The other son thinks green with scales of gold. The base it's sitting on in the pic WOUN'T be the base, just not sure yet.Thought maybe a tree, or just bring the cliffs on down from the orb.222217

Bill Wyko
02-01-2012, 7:12 PM
I'm thinking a long finial style to give it an "out of reach" look to it. If you wanted to put some work into it, a spiral stair case to the orb for a pedistal. As far as color of the dragon goes, possibly a forrest green with some black in the deep lines. Looking pretty cool so far.

Ed Morgano
02-01-2012, 7:41 PM
Steve,
I can't give any advise but it's really looking cool so far.

Sid Matheny
02-01-2012, 7:47 PM
Holy Harry Potter!!! Dark greens sound good to me for color but not sure about the base shape.

Sid

Dale Miner
02-01-2012, 8:36 PM
It is beyond my talent level, but an upturned hand with long dragon like fingers and nails is what my mind sees as a base.

Curt Fuller
02-01-2012, 8:39 PM
I would (if I could) make the base a carved serpent twisting around the pedestal.

Steve bellinger
02-01-2012, 8:52 PM
Thanks all. Dale, Curt they both sound really good. That's the kind of stuff i was hoping for. Keep them coming and thanks for helping me out. I do appreciate all the help you folks can give.

Joe Landon
02-01-2012, 9:00 PM
A talon or claw base might be interesting for a base.

Jim Burr
02-01-2012, 9:08 PM
This is above my pay grade bud, but if I know you...it will be beyond amazing and wow all of us after it's sold in a gallery for thousands!!

Steve bellinger
02-01-2012, 9:15 PM
This is above my pay grade bud, but if I know you...it will be beyond amazing and wow all of us after it's sold in a gallery for thousands!!Jim you know me better than that.:) This is just like every other piece i do, practice. It'll sit around till someone askes for it,then they will take it home for free.

Scott Hackler
02-01-2012, 9:48 PM
How about gridding it off and through carving and a bit of color, make it look like castle wall stones?

John Keeton
02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Steve, I don't have much in the way of suggestion, but I am curious - did you carve the dragon?

David E Keller
02-01-2012, 10:04 PM
I'd give some thought to attaching a thicker version of something like what you've got there and then carving the snot out of it and the bottom portion of the bowl to give it a craggily, rocky kind of texture. I'm having trouble figuring out what the bottom portion of the picture represents... If it's a rock/brick wall as Scott suggests then I'd think about extending that pattern to the bottom.

Steve bellinger
02-02-2012, 6:15 AM
Steve, I don't have much in the way of suggestion, but I am curious - did you carve the dragon?
John yea i'm still working on him also.I'm not a carver, but thought i'd give it a shot. This is my 2nd attempt at this carving stuff. Still have a lot to learn.This is a pic of him in the ruff,Still working on getting him refinded. Brought my mag glass in the house so i could see better:) these old eyes just can't see as well as they use to any more.222325

John Keeton
02-02-2012, 6:40 AM
Steve, I am impressed! Looks like the wings were tricky and fragile, but you did a good job on them. I am experimenting with sculpting at the moment - seems a bit more forgiving than carving!

Bob Rotche
02-02-2012, 8:12 AM
Very cool, Steve! I love the idea of a reptilian sort of hand with long nails but that would be quite difficult to carve. I like Bill's idea of a spiral staircase which would probably be easier, technically. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product, whatever you decide!

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Have to ask first... is the scene supposed to be of a village that happens to have a dragon visiting? or is this supposed to be about the dragon and the village is just there as background?

If the village is the main theme - then I like the idea of carved steps as part of the pedestal. If the dragon is the main theme - then I would think that the pedestal would be cool if it were a portion of a dragon egg/shell that supports this dream world.

Lots of luck with this! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Baxter Smith
02-02-2012, 10:59 AM
That is neat and going to be neater. Carving is so far beyond me I can't give any suggestions even close to what you have already gotten.

Harvey Ghesser
02-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Steve, dragons are angry creatures...red is an angry color and certainly the dragon is your focal point.

Steve bellinger
02-02-2012, 2:10 PM
Thanks again for all the great ideas.Steve the focal is to be the dragon, and the village is just background. I'm really liking the idea of the dragon claws holding this up.I also like Bills idea of the stair case. Maybe i can come up with something that will let me have both. Any way i will get it done and let ya all see it when it gets where i like it.
Harvey i hadn't thought about red, but am liking that also.