PDA

View Full Version : If you are in the neighborhood....

Jim Burr
02-01-2012, 2:49 PM
I have never been to a club meeting for the local AAW chapter because they are so sporatic. However Alan Lancer and Jimmy Clews are coming in February and March respectively and you can bet your bippy I'll have camera in hand for both! I have never seem a professional turner give a demo, sheltered life I suppose, so this will indeed be a treat!

Chris Studley
02-01-2012, 2:57 PM
...in the neighborhood. Ha! not sure I could get any farther from you and still be in the US. :) (well i guess there is Maine...)

Enjoy the upcoming demos!

Donny Lawson
02-01-2012, 5:33 PM
That's great Jim. I hope you take some good pics for us.

Bill Wyko
02-01-2012, 6:07 PM
I'll be seeing Alan Lacer the weekend after the superbowl. I'll mention your work to him. Have a great time and take lots of pictures.

Brian Libby
02-01-2012, 6:20 PM
I have seen Alan demo 3 different times- great guy with lots of talent.

Doug Herzberg
02-01-2012, 6:52 PM
I'll be in L.A. a few days in March. What are the dates and times? Is there a website? Looks like quite a drive but I might be able to combine it with an excursion if the dates are right.

Brian Effinger
02-01-2012, 8:48 PM
I can't speak to Lacer, but I got to see Clewes up in Canada at the end of Oct. Not only is he a great turner, but he's a great guy too. I learned a lot, and was entertained. Of course, being the only American in the room, he had a little fun at my expense, which was more than OK with me. I made sure I gave some back too. :D Got to talk to him for a few minutes after - very aproachable. Based on that one day, I've decided I'm going to take one of his classes out at his place in Las Vegas. Of course I just have to figure a way to pay for it, because I'll have to bring the wife - and while I don't gamble, she does, so this will probably cost me 3 times more.

Oh, and I know the rule on pictures - I had my camera, but felt goofy asking for a photo with him.

David E Keller
02-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Sounds like two can't miss demos, Jimbo! Clewes is a heck of a guy with a great sense of humor... I took his Vegas course which I'd highly recommend for anyone who's interested. I've not had the good fortune of seeing Lacer, but i did correspond a bit with him when I got my last skew... Seems like a wonderful fellow, and he's certainly a talented turner.

Phil Harris
02-02-2012, 4:16 AM
The Nor-Cal Woodturners are hosting Jimmy Clewes on March 7th in Sacramento, I know I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him.

25 minutes west of DD

John Shuk
02-02-2012, 9:46 AM
Alan Lacer is an amazing guy to watch demo. If he couldn't turn a lick he would be an amazing guy to meet. Just a very nice and entertaining man. Much like most turners I've met. Very centered!