PDA

View Full Version : "Man Can Be Compared to an Engine Lathe" - Excerpt From 1890's Lathe Catalog

Jon McElwain
02-01-2012, 2:31 PM
My second lathe was a 120 year old "Fox Monitor" metalworking lathe that had been converted from belt drive to electric, and which was re-purposed into a wood lathe. I did a little research to learn more about the lathe and the company and found some really interesting information. Along the way, I also found a catalog online which depicted my lathe. The catalog was an electronic reproduction of a pre-1892 catalog. The last few pages of the catalog contained several sections unheard of in modern catalogs. They were titled, "Suggestions to Working Men," "Save a Little Money," "Safe Business Rules," "Law Points," and "Man Can Be Compared to an Engine Lathe." The last section was of particular interest, and I know you will enjoy the read!

Excerpt From a Lodge and Davis Lathe catalog, circa 1890:

Man Can Be Compared to an Engine Lathe

He has his "fast speeds" and later his "slower speeds;" by that time he has had his "full swing." If his "head stock" is light, he is liable to "chatter," which is an "index" of want of "solidity." His "carriage" and "bearing" depend on his "ways," and he is often tied to an "apron" string. If he comes home late to dinner and finds everything cold, he is wrathy, and this may be called his "cross feed." If he attends a banquet and eats and drinks for hours, this could be called his "length feed." While going through life he gets many a good "belt," and finds considerable "friction" in trying to "clutch" onto all the money he can. If he fails to pay his rent, his landlord is "bored" and he gets "turned" out. If he steals money he is "chased" to Canada, which is his "finishing cut." If he ever amounts to much, he commences by "roughing" it, then becomes "smoother," and should in time get some "polish." When old, he has some "lost motion," gets on his last "legs," then "dies," and is finally "chucked" in the grave.

The catalog can be viewed here (http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/lodge/lodgedavis-foldout-brochure-nodate-si.pdf). Check out the catalog and read some of the sections on the last few pages.

Robert McGowen
02-01-2012, 3:04 PM
I can only guess that humor has changed in the last 120+ years......... :)

Bill Wyko
02-01-2012, 6:05 PM
Now that is great information. More companies should go by those ideas.

Jon McElwain
02-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I can only guess that humor has changed in the last 120+ years......... :)

I suppose you are right!

Now that is great information. More companies should go by those ideas.

Folks don't seem to be too interested in the kind of advice that this company felt compelled to publish 120 years ago. I agree, things would be different if more companies went by those ideas!