PDA

View Full Version : Anybody used G checkout?

Quinn McCarthy
02-01-2012, 12:19 PM
We are in the market for a tractor and a seller wants to use G checkout to sell it so there is a 5 day grace period to check it out and decide not to take it. The tractor is at about 50% of it's value and the guy is leaving for a deployment in Afganistan and has 2 wees to sell. Which makes us suspicious already. Can G checkout be a secure way to do business?

Thanks

Quinn

Dan Hintz
02-01-2012, 1:20 PM
You mean like these?
https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/checkout-merchant/selling-with-google-checkout/KUxaB-IhOMA

David Weaver
02-01-2012, 1:23 PM
As soon as you say the tractor is at 50% of its value, then it's likely that it's a scam. If it existed, it would be sold already.

Ask the guy if he will take a USPS money order delivered by certified mail to a street address. If he says no, then don't do any business with him. (I wouldn't do any with him no matter what).

Matt Meiser
02-01-2012, 1:47 PM
Why would you buy it sight unseen to start with. The whole thing is screaming "SCAM!"

David G Baker
02-01-2012, 5:33 PM
Craig's List has had Kubota listings that were posted at around 10% of their retail value. The listings went on for around a year until they got wise to the scam. Remember the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true then odds are that it is". I would not even think of getting involved in the purchase.

Brian Vaughn
02-01-2012, 6:19 PM
That's a common scam nowadays. The "Deployment" creates the reason for the low price, however I hope you haven't created a profile for g checkout yet...especially if that person sent you the link. Typically, the person sends a false link, that goes to a site they own, and when you put your details in, voila, they've been handed everything they need for identity theft on a silver platter. Alternately, it's a site that just takes your money, but you have no recourse to get it back. (Assuming they don't clear out your bank account as well)
I'd say unless you can go see it right now, cash in hand (Sounds like you would, but they won't let you) then walk away.

John Fabre
02-02-2012, 3:45 AM
That's a common scam nowadays. The "Deployment" creates the reason for the low price, however I hope you haven't created a profile for g checkout yet...especially if that person sent you the link. Typically, the person sends a false link, that goes to a site they own, and when you put your details in, voila, they've been handed everything they need for identity theft on a silver platter. Alternately, it's a site that just takes your money, but you have no recourse to get it back. (Assuming they don't clear out your bank account as well)
I'd say unless you can go see it right now, cash in hand (Sounds like you would, but they won't let you) then walk away.
Divorce is another word they use for a low price and a quick sale. Never reply back to those scams.