PDA

View Full Version : Another airbrush question

Royce Meritt
02-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions as to my upcoming purchase of an airbrush. I think I have made a decision. Now to today's "stupid" question...

Is the WATER-BASED, ACRYLIC airbrush paint I see offered for sale the same as all of the water-based acrylic craft paint my wife already owns? From what I read, airbrush paint needs to be very thin. Can this paint be thinned with water for airbrushing?

Thanks.

Bob Bergstrom
02-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Biggest problem is the size of the pigment granules. If they are not fine enough, they will clog up the brush. I spray lacquer tinted with transient. It can be mixed with water also. Buy red, yeiiow, blue, and black and a color wheel, and you can make what ever color you want.

Eric Skell
02-01-2012, 2:01 PM
Yes and no. I understand that the "cheap" acrylics have larger size solid particles than what you want for airbrushing. THat said, the cheap stuff can be watered down to the consistency that you need the only caveat is it may not give you the same results as the airbrush paints due to the solids. I bought some of the airbrush paints to get started and have transitioned to the cheaper paints after I know that my technique and setup are down pat. Make sense? I am a newbie myself and learning, so I welcome other opinions and input.

Greg Ketell
02-01-2012, 2:01 PM
What Bob said. The pigment size is the main issue. But yes, you can thin existing paints. One of the best things to thin it with is Pledge Future Floor Polish, which is basically a thin acrylic paint. If you thin with water then there is a fine line between thin enough and too much water so that the binding agents fail. Future eliminates that issue.

GK

ray hampton
02-01-2012, 7:32 PM
Biggest problem is the size of the pigment granules. If they are not fine enough, they will clog up the brush. I spray lacquer tinted with transient. It can be mixed with water also. Buy red, yeiiow, blue, and black and a color wheel, and you can make what ever color you want.
You will need to buy white paint also to blend your own custom paint

Eric Skell
02-02-2012, 2:51 PM
I am interested in your method to tint lacquer. Can you share an example finishing schedule, maybe with a pic of the finished product? Thanks!