PDA

View Full Version : New,detailed pictures of the Brinkley compass I made about 1988.

george wilson
01-31-2012, 10:07 PM
These closeup pictures turned up in my scanning of slides. Previously I had only the one overall picture of the compass in its box. I had no idea that I had other views of it. I'd have had no way of posting them anyway,before I got the slide scanner for Christmas.

The view of the back of the compass shows the housing for the counting device built into the original. The hole in the center for mounting to the tripod was a very close match to a #2 Morse taper,though the original was made in 1802 in Virginia. Those little slotted head screws were a nice detail: They each had "built in" washers turned on their bottom edges,1 piece to the screw. I'm not sure what to call the shape of these screw's heads,but they look like whole cheeses. I know the term "cheese head screws",but the sides of these screws are fairly convex. Not quite the same as more modern screws.

The needle is hardened and fire blued W1 steel. These were magnetized but would lose their magnetism over time. They had to be "re charged" by stroking over the glass with a lodestone when they got too weak. Hardened steel kept magnetism better than soft steel or iron.

I engraved the degree markings with a rotary table. I made a fixed,sharp scribe to put into the spindle of the milling machine. Then,I scribed each line,360 of them,one at a time.I had to be very careful to NOT scribe a line too long,where it should have been a short one. Every 5th.degree has a longer line. No doubt,the original makers also used some kind of an indexing device to perfectly engrave the degree marks.

The face of the compass can be seen better here. The engraving of the original was filled with black mastic. I filled this engraving with artist's acrylic paint,as time was VERY short in getting the compass ready for presentation. I just didn't have time to get into researching and making "mastics" used as fillers back in 1802. Plus,I couldn't take the chance that my rushed mastic filler wouldn't shrink,crack,or fall out. Personally,I'd have preferred to not fill the engraving,but this is a repro. They did use mastic filler on things like clock faces,too. Probably to make them easier to read. We must remember the poor lighting situation before electricity.

You can see the dead silver finish of the dial.It was done by making a medium size wad of cotton,and wrapping a wire in the wad,connected to a couple of batteries. The compass was grounded to the other wire. The wad was dipped in silver plating solution,and gently passed over the dial.

You can make out the stored upright sights in the case. They were secured by little swinging arms I made from ebony,and turned some nice little handles to swing them with,securing the sights in place. There were little arms also securing each end of the compass itself. You can just see one on the right end of an arm.

You can see the 2 little level vials,which I also made from glass tubing I slightly bent,filled with fluid,and melted the ends shut. There is a thin little brass line filed from the solid,to indicate when the bubble was on center. On the back of the compass,you can see the covers that enclose the vials.

You can now see the engraved scale where information was penciled in when using the compass. The hemispherical lines are not just solid lines. They were actually little,NEARLY connected punched dots. I mean nearly connected by a few thousanths of an inch. And ONE chance to get the dots perfectly placed!! Stuff like that makes me nervous!

I did make all of the number stamps,which are exact copies of the originals. I still have them. It is just not suitable to make a nice object,and use bad,Gothic,modern stamps on it. These are about 1/16" tall. The original "2" on the compass had a circle making the top portion of it. I did use that one because it was what was on the old compass,but I made another "2",which is still correct for the period,but has an open face,which I like better. The square W1 steel I made them from is 3/16" square. That gives you a scale for visualizing the size of the numbers.

The compass is made of 260 alloy brass. It was hand polished for 9 days with hand buffs,so as to not smear the details(like the scale engraved on the left arm),and was lacquered with a golden tinted metal lacquer. The original had more of a "working finish" on it,where you could see the lathe turning marks. It was not lacquered. What they had back then might have turned white if it got wet in field use. This was a presentation grade finish.

There is a thin brass rod seen sticking out from 1 side,going to under the compass needle. This can be screwed up under the needle so it is locked in place,and can't bang about and de magnetize itself during horseback rides from place to place. It is like the original. On the back,you can see the knob for tightening the rod GENTLY. The other knob is for indexing the counter. On the dial,there is a small hole through which you can read the number. It may have counted "chains",a measurement used in surveying.

You can also see the silver dedication plaque. David Brinkley was head of the Raleigh tavern society for several years,and wanted to resign. He collected scientific instruments. This gift persuaded him to stay another year. No doubt his presence induced the giving of much more donations than the cost of the compass. It was all high society.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Wow. Stunning work. Thanks for sharing.

I know very little about these types of instruments, but I've seen some on display at museums and I'm always amazed by the craftsmanship.

Now I remember why I was looking for camera batteries - I was going to share pictures of my new panel gauge, but wanted to get them posted before you came back and made us all look bad.

Bill Fleming
01-31-2012, 10:38 PM
That is a fantastic piece of work! On a side note, were your slides Kodachrome? From what I have found they require special processing to get the color correct when scanning.

george wilson
01-31-2012, 10:41 PM
I think they were. I have put them away. They are Kodak 400 speed.

Justin Green
01-31-2012, 11:50 PM
What are the "hand buffs" that you used to polish the brass? How did they polish way back when?

george wilson
02-01-2012, 12:00 AM
They were often long,curved wooden buffs covered with a soft leather. Compound was put on the leather. Back then,hammered silver objects were left with hammer marks,all about the same size,as proof of the smith's skill. Today,these marks are nearly polished off with powerful buffers. Things to be finished like the compass were finished to such a degree that a minimum of final polishing was needed. They wanted to preserve the crisp details,as I do. Not just buff them for the sake of making them as shiny as possible.

John Coloccia
02-01-2012, 12:06 AM
We've missed you, George. Welcome back.

Christian Castillo
02-01-2012, 12:10 AM
So this is what a lifetime of practice looks like...I'm too impressed.

Ryan Baker
02-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Now that's a treasure. I don't know what to say.

Mike Henderson
02-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Wow, that's amazing, George. Absolutely beautiful work.

Mike

Jeff L Miller
02-07-2012, 12:12 AM
I QUIT! Why go on with these kind of examples to compete with.

Give me a magnatized needle and a cup of water quick.

Jeff

Ryan Mooney
02-07-2012, 1:33 AM
@Jeff: Heh, don't quit just keep working to stretch your limits, most of the rest of us just fumble around anyway but its never stopped me :D

The engraving work on the face is fantastic, that must have been exceedingly time consuming.

Very interesting how white the silver plate looks, is that an artifact of the picture, the polishing or the plating solution?

For the stamps, it looks like you drilled the round holes and then needle filed the outside?
(getting them that clean in reverse makes my head hurt - but I could see those potentially being within my reach, if not the rest).

What liquid would you normally use for filling the level bubbles?

(goes off and reads up on fire bluing - finds a good thread, umm many threads... on the longrifle forum - makes sense, adds more questions :rolleyes: - for the curious you get better results for searching "nitre bluing" because its often done by heating the part in a liquid ~800F potassium nitrate bath, although it appears that you can also get decent results in some steel sometimes if you're good with just a torch)

Did you just torch it (or candle it I suppose on something that small) to get that blue, or did you dip it in a hot salt bath (or other oxygen remover..)?

Excellent piece, I take back my previous statement - some things really are to nice to be used :D

Matt Zettl
02-07-2012, 3:43 AM
George, that is absolutely stunning. Each time that I see photos of your work I think, "That's the best I've ever seen," and then you put up something even better. This compass is simply magnificent, thanks for taking the time to show it to us.

Matt

george wilson
02-07-2012, 9:19 AM
Ryan,the compass needle was heated with a torch after hardening,to turn it a fire or clock spring blue. I don't like niter bluing,because it makes steel black,not blue. They can call it blue,but it's black as coal when you nitre blue it.

The silver plate is DEAD silver. it has no shine at all. It looks more frosted than plated. That may explain the white appearance. It IS silver color,just not shiny at all.

Matt,I am glad you enjoyed the compass. I did spend about 5 months of hard daily work on it.

Dan Hintz
02-07-2012, 9:41 AM
George,

Maybe I missed the original story, but why was this piece made? I'm not familiar with David Brinkley, the Raleigh Tavern Society, or the importance of either.

Gorgeous work, either way, though... wish I had the time to sit down and create such a beauty.

george wilson
02-07-2012, 1:34 PM
Dan,back in the 50's and 60's David Brinkley was the #1 news caster in the USA. I'm not sure when he retired. Could have been in the 70's or 80's. He was an important fund raiser for Wmsbg. being head of the Raleigh tavern society,which you have to donate $10,000 a year to belong to. It's all hob knobbing,etc..

Dan Hintz
02-07-2012, 2:28 PM
Oh, THAT Brinkley... okay, I know who we're taking about now.

Carry on :)

Klaus Kretschmar
02-07-2012, 2:51 PM
Another absolutely stunning piece, George! There are so many different skills involved to create such a wonderful thing, it's really hard to believe that all was done by one person. I've seen working you on 6 videos that have been online sadly just way too short. They showed how you've made a hapsichord (don't know if that's the correct word though). It was more than intriguing to me. Having seen your amazing work "life", I know that your skills really are about unlimited.

It's not very usual for me to fall in awe while referring to the the work of someone else but you and your work is an exception. There's nothing left for me than to admire the beauty and the perfection. You really should look for a way to save your work with pictures and explanations for the following generations.

Klaus

Paul McGaha
02-07-2012, 3:45 PM
Beautiful George. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

PHM

Jerome Hanby
02-08-2012, 8:12 AM
George, you should produce a coffee table book. Big format, big pictures, just something to flip through when you need a little pick me up.

Zach Dillinger
02-08-2012, 8:57 AM
George, you should produce a coffee table book. Big format, big pictures, just something to flip through when you need a little pick me up.

I'd buy it, brand new. And I'm really cheap, so that tells you how much I'd love to have it.

Ryan Baker
02-08-2012, 7:32 PM
I'd buy it too. No doubt one could sell quite a few copies of something like that. Put it in the Williamsburg gift shop and sell lots to tourists.

Joe Bailey
02-08-2012, 7:55 PM
Jerome - I have to say, that sounds like a really good idea. Do we have someone in the community who could reach out to Chris Schwarz (of Lost Art Press) and float the idea?
This presumes, of course, that George is interested.