PDA

View Full Version : Corian engraving

Debbie Sweet
03-18-2005, 2:00 AM
Hello,

I've read of members engraving on corian - does anybody have any settings and tips? I have a 25W Pinnacle. Thanks for any info!

Debbie

Keith Outten
03-18-2005, 6:16 AM
Debbie,

I have an Epilog 35 watt and I generally use 600 DPI, 20% speed and 100% power settings. I almost always use a paper masking material, engrave and paint fill for signs. The settings I use will provide enough depth to allow you do do a light final sanding if necessary to remove any paint that bleeds, with 220 grit sandpaper. This technique works well on white Corian signs which look better if they aren't polished. For colored Corian you will want to sand and polish before engraving.

- You can also colorfill with caulking materials using various colors.
- Cut your sign blanks, sand the edges and route to suit in that order.
- You can use multicolor Corian and glue up using Dupont's adhesive or CA glue.
- You can Thermal Bend Corian by heating it in a small oven.
- You can dye-sublimate color pictures into Corian, this is an awesome technique.
- Night Sky Corian will match ColorStone Int'l's dark granite almost perfectly for inlays.
- Engraving Corian is more profitable than any other medium, for me anyway.

Kevin Huffman
03-18-2005, 8:54 AM
Hello Debbie,
Those are all good tips Keith. For the 25W M Series. I would a little higher power, something like 35% to 40%.
Definately use a paper mask. We use the cheaper versions of our vinyl application tape for this. It is a crea paper tape that is tacky but not tacky enought to adheare to the corian. It is really good because for some reason the glue on it just evaporates, it doesn't melt on to the top of the material.

Aaron Koehl
03-18-2005, 3:36 PM
Hello Debbie,
Those are all good tips Keith. For the 25W M Series. I would a little higher power, something like 35% to 40%.
Definately use a paper mask. We use the cheaper versions of our vinyl application tape for this. It is a crea paper tape that is tacky but not tacky enought to adheare to the corian. It is really good because for some reason the glue on it just evaporates, it doesn't melt on to the top of the material.
Kevin,

Does this tape adhere enough for paint-filling cleanly?

Kevin Huffman
03-18-2005, 4:35 PM
Hey Aaron,
For spray paint yes. We haven't tried a brush and paint yet.

Aaron Koehl
03-19-2005, 9:39 AM
Brush and paint, what's that? :D

Mark Sipes
03-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Trotec 25w 16% feed 100% power 600 DPI

Spray paint, then run an orbital sander over with 600 grit.. cleans right up

Mark

Jerry Allen
03-23-2005, 2:27 PM
Does anyone have any good sources for Corain? Preferably something that might be local and where small orders are okay.

Aaron Koehl
03-23-2005, 3:57 PM
Jerry,

Keith Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=2) (Northwind Associates) is selling a range of corian products geared specifically for laser engraving. Shoot him an email or post in his manufacturer's forum, and he should be able to help you.

_A_

Jerry Allen
03-23-2005, 8:19 PM
Okay, thanks!

Mark Sipes
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
See if you have a company that manufactures the countertops/sinks for homes.
they have scrap pieces they are more than willing to sell at a discount.

I have one in Gig Harbor, WA Northwest Fabricators. But you are limited to what's in the scrap bin....unless you want to buy a full sheet 4'x8' I believe.

Mark

Bruce Larson
03-24-2005, 2:50 AM
I finally figured out how to downsize the photos for inclusion in this post.
I have not previously sent any "brags", but this one I am quite proud of so please excuse. It is a copy of the Battalion Insignia, and was blown up and copied from a piece approximately 1" square.
It was made from a piece of Corian 20" x 24" which was CNC Router inlaid with 1/8" acrylic to be flush with the top surface of the Corian. The gold is mirrored acrylic and the other pieces are all 1/8 acrylic in Burgandy and White. The lettering is lasered and filled with White enamel. The coins in the corners cover the rock anchors used to affix it to the stone.
It is mounted on a large rock in front of the HQ at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Sorry for the long-winded stuff, but Corian is a wonderful material to work with, both for lasering and for routing.

Keith Outten
03-24-2005, 6:27 AM
Jerry,

Mark is correct, some cabinet shops and counter top shops will give away their Corian scraps or charge a small fee for the larger pieces. Corian sheets are 30" wide by 145" long and Dupont requires that you acquire formal training before you are allowed to purchase Corian. Your local Corian Distributor can provide the training. I just recently acquired authorization to purchase Corian myself due to the volume and larger sizes of signs I am currently building it became necessary for me to be able to purchase full sheets. Corian sheets can be over $600.00 per sheet depending on the color selection.

As Aaron mentioned we are in the process of putting together a line of Corian sign blanks that are CNC Routed and ready for engraving. We will include all the necessary Corel Templates for each sign blank and plaque. We will also be able to provide custom blanks and plaques as well, essentially offering our CNC services to those who do not have the capability to provide their own sign blanks and plaques. We are also offering Thermal Bending services and dye-sublimation of Corian as well.

I have stretched the limit of advertising our new product line in this forum but I will make all of the details available in our Northwind Associates Forum as soon as I can. I am running behind these days, the SwapMeet and Freedom Pens Project are keeping us real busy.

Aaron Koehl
03-24-2005, 8:51 AM
Bruce,

Pictures?!

Jerry Allen
03-24-2005, 9:42 AM
Mark and Keith,
Thanks for the tips and recommendations. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Is the formal training due to dust problems?

Guy Fuson
08-10-2006, 11:16 PM
What heat transfer machine do you use for dye-sublimation on Corian?

Steve Clarkson
01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Can I assume that Corian (or other solid surface materials) are no londer "food safe" after they have been color filled? Will Rub n Buff work or would a Krylon spray paint work better?

Joe Chritz
01-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Another vote for cabinet shops. Sink cutouts are plentiful and a decent size for most projects. Often they sell them dirt cheap or for nothing at all.

It is also handy for zero clearance inserts and assorted other stuff around a shop.

Joe

Keith Outten
01-27-2009, 6:58 AM
Steve,

If you use the Dupont adhesive to color fill Corian I would expect your project would still be food safe.

Steve Clarkson
01-27-2009, 8:07 AM
Keith, can I get that at a borg or do they only sell it where they sell Corian? Thanks!

Ken Dolph
01-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Jerry,

The formal training is because duPont is responsible for the waranties on countertops. They need to have all work done in a similar fashion everywhere. The standards come from 40 years of experience.

Steve,

The inlay can be done mixing dry tempra paint with a good quality methyl- methacrylate epoxy. The best name brand I know is Weld-On 40. You should be able to get it at any local plastics supplier. It will be food safe after curing as it becomes pure acrylic and the pigmant is natural.

If you would like the booklet "How to Work with Corian in the Home Workshop", PM me with your address.

I hope this helps
Ken

Angus Hines
01-27-2009, 11:11 AM
You gotta be approved you don't need any training...see the Sticky Thread at the top of the Sign Forum Any Body can get Corian Now ( http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65214) to find out how.

Keith has gotten us all hooked up so we dont need a class to buy this stuff.:D

Keith, can I get that at a borg or do they only sell it where they sell Corian? Thanks!

Ken Dolph
01-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Corian, in small pieces, has been available, to the public and industry, for 15 years, authorized by duPont.

http://www.coriartspecialties.com

I hope this helps
Ken

Angus Hines
01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
But I can now get the "Top Shop" pricing. About 145.00 for a sheet of white. 12'x30"

Corian, in small pieces, has been available, to the public and industry, for 15 years, authorized by duPont.

http://www.coriartspecialties.com

I hope this helps
Ken

Ken Dolph
01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Angus,

I have no problem with that. It is when you need a small piece of Primrose for a job, the full sheet price dosen't help.

By the way, if youwant to use Corian for a wear/work surface Glacier White is the hardest of the Corian colors and the cheapest.

I hope this helps
Ken

Angus Hines
01-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Good Point Ken....I dont think I would want a whole sheet of Pompeii Red to do one or two signs that would be an expensive inventory to to try and carry.

Interesting I know White is the cheapest but why or how can it be harder, does pigment make corian soft?

Ken Dolph
01-27-2009, 12:36 PM
The Glacier White has the higest load of ATH the mineral that makes Corian more than plexiglas. To get the colors to show best there is less of the ATH in other colors.

I hope this helps
Ken

Keith Outten
01-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Angus,

The contact information I posted concerning purchasing Corian is for professional sign shops. Dupont is still requiring people to get certified to purchase Corian for countertops. Dupont has made an exception to the rule for sign makers, the general public can't purchase full sheets of 1/2" Corian without being certified.

The general public can purchase full sheets of 1/4" thick Corian and adhesive from any Dupont Distributor without being a certified installer.

Larry Bratton
01-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I'll throw in my two cents worth here. Corian isn't the only quality solid surface material out there. I have been using LG HiMacs as my product since Keith turned me on to doing signs out of it. It, same as Corian is solid acrylic, no polyester in the base material. HiMacs also has a 15 year warranty opposed to Corian's 5 yr. I'm sure that only applies to counter tops. They have a 100 colors in 1/4" too. If your planning on cutting it with a low power co2 laser, you can cut 1/4", albeit mighty slow.(40 watts-2% speed,100 power,5000f-2 passes) You will have to cut 1/2" with something else (saw, cnc router etc.)

I posted last week in another thread. (Speedball Art Results) It is 1/4", LG HiMacs "Desert Sand". Engraved at 600dpi, 35s, 100p. I filled it with Krylon Fusion with a brush. I spray it out in a tin can, apply it, and then clean it up with WD40. No mask on this. I do use a mask on some things and I use a clear polyester mask that I get from Piedmont Plastics. I like the WD40 method though, no weeding or sanding required.