PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Shelix cutterhead on Grizzly GO490

Gary Jesse
01-31-2012, 8:32 PM
I picked up a byrd head that was on sale from Grizzly. I just finished the retrofit and ran a couple of test pieces through. I noticed that there were distinctive lines on both the red oak and pine boards that I tried. I remember that a previous thread had discussed this, but my skills using the search engine aren't good enough to find the thread. I was hoping one of the creekers could help me out.
I know that the cutters on the head have numbers for each surface, while the spares that were supplied have a logo on one corner. Are the cutters mounted on the head an old design? I like the reduced power needed for the segemented head, but I'm not crazy about the lines that the head leaves.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

Cary Falk
01-31-2012, 8:46 PM
Remove all of the cutters. Clean the cutters and the head itself. Retorque all the cutters too I think it is 50-55 in-lbs.

Gary Jesse
01-31-2012, 8:58 PM
I removed the cutters when I mounted the head, cleaned both, and replaced according to specs. Also put new bearings in at the same time.

Cary Falk
01-31-2012, 9:08 PM
How bad are the lines? You can see mine in the right light but you can't feel them. They come out with a light sanding with a ROS.

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
01-31-2012, 9:17 PM
I didn't clean anything (no visual need) but I also replaced the bearings at the time of the install. That was 1-year ago and I am still on the original edge of the cutters with basically no lines or marks...perhaps you have some runout?

Gary Pennington
01-31-2012, 9:59 PM
Here's the thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?176879-Byrd-Shelix-spiral-planer-head-and-getting-a-few-lengthwise-stripes-in-the-work-piece&p=1819628#post1819628

I'm waiting for the replacement cutters from Byrd, Garry said they were back ordered. I found them to be very responsive to my inquiry, recommend you drop them an email. Their web site is http://www.byrdtool.com/ there's an email link there.