PDA

View Full Version : Dating a Unisaw

Stephen Stark
01-31-2012, 7:21 PM
I am trying to restore an older Unisaw with a cast iron base but the ID tag does not have a serial # . It is a Rockwell , made in Guelph Ontario and is a 1.5HP version, 220V. The model number is 2-34-451X. I tried the Old Woodworking site but wasn't much help. Have I missed another place to look, there are no other tags on the cabinet itself, possibly on the motor? Also has anyone usedthese guys as a source for parts? http://www.site.renovoparts.com/Unisaw.html
Thanks

Steven Satur
01-31-2012, 7:31 PM
What is the serial number?

Steve

Matt Meiser
01-31-2012, 8:25 PM
On the 40s era one I had the tag was on the back edge of the table where it interfered with mounting a Biesemeyer fence so I had to remove it. Post some photos and maybe we can give you a general idea.

Dave Zellers
01-31-2012, 9:15 PM
I wonder how many wives out there feel like their husbands are dating their Unisaw.

John Hays
01-31-2012, 9:49 PM
Does she have a sister? :D

Carroll Courtney
01-31-2012, 9:57 PM
I have purchase parts from these guys http://www.sawcenter.com/unisawparts.htm
for acouple of unisaws that I restored.And if you can't find a date for your saw go back to OWWM to the wiki section and it tell you how to age your saw by the changes that was made over the yrs.Without numbers on mine,with the help of OWWM its 45-47.Good luck----Carroll

Robert Boyd
02-01-2012, 3:53 AM
The saws that were made in Canada are in their own little world as far as the serial numbers. No one really knows the number sequence for the Canadian ones.

I am pretty sure everything is interchangeable the only difference are the motors(1725 or 3450RPM) and the pulleys(5in or 3.5in) and the locking knobs. Earlier ones used wedges, later ones used a brass bullet.

Renovo parts may be about the only supplier with an inventory of parts. Delta was recently bought and a lot of their parts are currently in limbo. Sawcenter has a lot of parts out of stock on their website.

Stephen Stark
02-01-2012, 8:00 AM
Thanks Robert, the motor is in fact a 3450 RPM with a 3.5" pulley, Model; #83-611C. The lock knobs have the brass bullets(one of which I have misplaced GRRR), and the plinth is cast iron as opposed to stamped. I wonder if anyone knows when the cast iron base was discontinued?

John Glazier
03-08-2023, 12:37 PM
Think this might be a helpful link, if you are still looking after all these years.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/imagedetail.aspx?id=23186

fritz eng
03-08-2023, 3:19 PM
Think this might be a helpful link, if you are still looking after all these years.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/imagedetail.aspx?id=23186

Thanks for the reference table. My Unisaw is the last one listed, Model 34-457, G212534, 3 HP, purchased in April '87 from Rockwell made in Geulph Onatrio. Except for 3 new belts, haven't needed any parts yet and the saw is still going strong. Came with the Jetlock fence which I wouldn't trade.
If someone is a member of the "vintage machinery site", perhaps you can forward this info. Thanks

Bill Dufour
03-08-2023, 9:46 PM
I am very surprised a1987 saw has a cast iron base. I would guess they had ended in the 1960's or earlier. My 12/14 saw has a sheet iron base and it is from around 1968. Maybe they never made enough to justify. casting bases. Also the plinth base is adjustable for dc chute direction of back, right, or left. I don't think unisaws ever had a factory dust port
Bill D

fritz eng
03-09-2023, 10:17 AM
I am very surprised a1987 saw has a cast iron base. I would guess they had ended in the 1960's or earlier. My 12/14 saw has a sheet iron base and it is from around 1968. Maybe they never made enough to justify. casting bases. Also the plinth base is adjustable for dc chute direction of back, right, or left. I don't think unisaws ever had a factory dust port
Bill D

My Unisaw came with a sheet iron base, also called the "Invicta" style and no plinth. The saw sits on an HTC rolling base. Yes there is no factory dust port just an open sloped chute.