PDA

View Full Version : CA glue as a filler/finish

Lorraine Price
01-31-2012, 5:53 PM
I have heard and read about using CA glue as a filler for decayed wood, or bad spots. Also that it has been used as a finish of bowls, etc, not for use in anything used for eating/drinking from.

Any thoughts on it?

Jon Behnke
01-31-2012, 9:15 PM
You can make a "slurry" of wood dust and CA glue to fill small holes or cracks but CA alone will dry clear. I use it as a finish on pens but not on bigger stuff, that would be difficult and take too much glue. CA glue is food safe as is almost all finishes after they've completely cured.

William Adams
01-31-2012, 11:25 PM
It's a fairly popular finishing technique for (archery) bows. Lends itself to a high gloss finish after polishing. Usually applied w/ a fingertip...

Rob Sack
02-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I've been using it to fix small defects both alone for a clear repair and mixed with sawdust, although usually the mixture makes the repair a bit darker than the surrounding wood when finished. Several companies make CA glue in various consistencies from almost as thin as water to thicker than honey. Depending on the repair, having the different viscocities comes in really handy.

Lorraine Price
02-01-2012, 9:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. Is there any advantage of CA Glue ( any viscosity) over a Waterlox (tung oil) or Danish Oil as a finish?

We used the thin for filling with minerals, but wonder if there is any advantage of the glue over a different finish.

Scott Holmes
02-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Lorraine,

Waterlox is varnish made with tung oil. Danish Oil is another term for an oil/varnish blend.

Varnish is a film forming reactive finish. Oil/varnish blends are an "in-the-wood" finish. You can't really build a film withthem because they are very soft.

Advanages?

Well CA will be VERY expensive as a finish if it is a large project. It is very hard. It dries very fast.
Varnish will be build more of a film and dries much slower.
Oil/varnish blend will not harden, it will be rubbery at best.

What project are you finishing?
Varnish is more durable than an oil/varnsih blend.