PDA

View Full Version : Quilters Doo Dad

Mike Peace
01-31-2012, 5:40 PM
A quilter I know asked me about making a thing to put cutt-off threads in until she dumps in the trash at the end of her sewing session. I found one on the internet and got the dimensions of 2 1/2" in diameter X 2 1/4" tall. From the picture it looked like the walls were about 1/2" thick - short and stout so it would not move around with a hole small and deep enough you could push down a scrap of thread and it would not escape. So here is the one I made of Bradford Pear with a little embellishment from a Sorby spiraling wheel. Got to love that spiraling or texturing on BP.

Maybe you know a quilter you could make one for.

Reed Gray
01-31-2012, 5:45 PM
I can't remember where, but remember hearing them called 'Ort' bowls.

robo hippy

Tony De Masi
01-31-2012, 5:52 PM
I would make one for my wife but she prefers to just let the threads fall to the floor. Kind of like quilters curlies.

James Combs
01-31-2012, 6:14 PM
Now that is just cool, I happen to be the "seamster" in our house(just repairs) and every time I repair something there is always those little pieces of thread the I pile up next tot he machine then 99% of the time knock onto the floor. I will be making one of those for my self....

Brian Libby
01-31-2012, 7:41 PM
My wife is a quilter and she had me make her one, she calls it ia "snippit jar". I now have to make a bunch for the other ladies in her quilt guild!!!:)

Harvey Ghesser
01-31-2012, 8:26 PM
Nicely done, Mike...

Baxter Smith
01-31-2012, 8:47 PM
Looks good and a neat idea Mike. I wonder how that would go over for Valentines Day?

Mike Peace
01-31-2012, 11:58 PM
It wouldn't keep me out of the doghouse. My wife quilts and did not think it would work for her. I think she also just prefers to let the curlies fall where they may.

Richard Jones
02-01-2012, 9:05 AM

robo hippy

My sister, a semi-pro needleworker/tassler, calls them "orts" bowls as well.......................not food, but definitely scraps.........

Nice looking orts bowl............:)

Rich

Ralph Lindberg
02-01-2012, 11:35 AM

robo hippy

Mine calls her's Orts (note the "s")... Why I dono

Richard Jones
02-01-2012, 1:51 PM
ortsn. Archaic, crumbs, scraps.

: a morsel left at a meal :
Origin of ORTMiddle English, from Middle Low German orteFirst Known Use: 15th century

Scott Lux
02-01-2012, 7:43 PM
Don't forget, the snippets of thread are appreciated by our feathered friends. Put them out in early spring and look for colorful nests later!

Duff Bement
02-02-2012, 1:50 PM
I was told they were used by needle pointers to save their scraps of silk thread because it's very expensive and it can be recycled?