PDA

View Full Version : Unrealised hidden beauty

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-31-2012, 4:42 PM
Well, for those of you that know me well, you know I'm a bit of a wood hoarder... Especially in the last 6 years... historically I have picked up some scrap blocks from work, to put in the fire / jig / use piles, and eventually - tonight - had to search through for the current "curtain pole support" project. Little did I know that I had picked up some lovely coloured hardwood blocks which revealed on initial roughing an amazing array of colours, and some more solid Beech (Like the 'tulip' vases and 'Ali Baba' pot). I shall NOT be making them into something that will be painted, but have set them aside for further perusing, and turning into mini pots! Photo's to appear when things are complete.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2012, 5:06 PM
I believe this qualifies as a tease.... looking forward to the photos!

Steve Vaughan
01-31-2012, 5:28 PM
Yup, Steve, he's just kidding I bet...kind of faking us out.

Wally Dickerman
01-31-2012, 6:18 PM
Way back when freight was still being shipped on pallets, I had a friend who was a longshoreman. He once brought me 3 pallets that came from So. America and that he thought were some desirable wood. Well, yes they were. All were very hard and dense. One was some beautiful tulipwood. Another was purpleheart. The 3rd was unknown but was very highly figured.... Several hundred dollars worth of found wood....I guess that was a gloat.

Harvey M. Taylor
02-01-2012, 1:15 AM
You could say that, Wally, yeah!

Primvs Aebvtivs
02-01-2012, 3:35 PM
Ha, Tease! I like it! Well folks, this is the result of one nights work:-

Different views, to show the grain pattern - amazingly similar to the sofa feet I turned the other week! Slightly different shape, and thickness. The body is hollowed out to the top of the foot, to leave weight for stability... 4 1/4" tall by 2 1/4" diameter approx 1/8" thick.

I'll add pictures to the "Green" cherry thread regarding the second item I've turned from the branch wood.
Thanks for looking!