PDA

View Full Version : WIP....the worms like this vase

Roger Chandler
01-31-2012, 3:15 PM
this is a work I started today.......after the table at the gallery was nearly empty, and our club members needing to replenish the display quickly, I started a vase [Vaaaahse :rolleyes:] out of the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree white oak..........this piece of limb had several worms in it! :eek: I have a coat of shellac on it as a sealer for now..........will revisit tonight or tomorrow and put some embellishments on the outside, then final sand and put a couple coats of General Finishes Woodturners finish on it. It also has some spalting on it......and a few worm holes which I filled in..........won't charge any extra for those! :D

This one is end grain..........stands about 10.5 or so high and is about 6.5 wide at the rim..........wish me luck! 222045222046222047222048

Tony De Masi
01-31-2012, 4:06 PM
Looking good Roger. Please repost when done. And, good luck.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2012, 5:09 PM
I agree with Tony... looking pretty good so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished vase!

John Keeton
01-31-2012, 8:16 PM
Roger, looking good to this point. I wouldn't leave it too long before embellishments - even with end grain, a little movement can really mess up a plan to do more work to the piece.

Baxter Smith
01-31-2012, 8:36 PM
Nice looking vase Roger! That piece of wood has a lot to look at. Even if the worms are gone!