PDA

View Full Version : Microwave oven problem...

Chuck Wintle
01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
I have a sharp microwave oven with a baked potato button...it is supposed to cook the potato to perfection yet now it leaves the potato still raw....i need to press the button a second time to cook it thru. I am thinking the moisture sensor is going bad.

Dan Hintz
01-31-2012, 1:48 PM
Does that button simply run for a pre-determined time/power, or does it actually use a moisture sensor to determine those parameters? If it's the former, your klystron may be going bad. If it's the latter, well, now you're talking the difference between fixing a car from the 1960's and a car from the 2000's... too many computers and sensors to make it worthwhile.

Steve Griffin
01-31-2012, 3:12 PM
When trouble shooting a microwave, I find it helpful to use the chart below to see how a microwave works.

Jim Koepke
01-31-2012, 3:39 PM
I have a sharp microwave oven with a baked potato button...it is supposed to cook the potato to perfection yet now it leaves the potato still raw

Since it isn't clear to my slow brain, is this a new microwave?

Is this something that in the past it has worked to perfection and is now no longer performing as well as it did?

Has anything changed like the size of the potatoes or how they have been stored?

jtk

Chuck Wintle
01-31-2012, 4:06 PM
Since it isn't clear to my slow brain, is this a new microwave?

Is this something that in the past it has worked to perfection and is now no longer performing as well as it did?

Has anything changed like the size of the potatoes or how they have been stored?

jtk

yes i should have been more clear...the oven is about 10-12 years old. before it used to cook them thru but not now...could be the klystron....after 10-12 years. but on the other hand it seems to warm up a cup of water consistently with the same time setting.

ray hampton
01-31-2012, 7:12 PM
I bet that the control panel is a touch-key and that you need a new control panel unless you can use a different key

Bill Cunningham
01-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Microwaves are getting so cheap, their virtually disposable. My first one 35+ years ago cost me 350.00 +, you can now buy one for 50 bucks, even a 'good' one is under 200.00. The one you have owes you nothing, if it's not working up to spec, toss it in the recycle bin, and buy a new one. Are ANY of these made in North America any more?