PDA

View Full Version : 1/8HP feeder too small for a 3HP shaper?

mreza Salav
01-31-2012, 10:55 AM
I've got a 3HP shaper (to be restored/cleaned soon). Wanted to buy a 1/4HP feeder when came across a deal on a new (in box) 1/8HP feeder from GI for $210:
http://general.ca/site_general/g_pro...er/20-100.html (http://general.ca/site_general/g_produits/feeder/20-100.html)

My feeling this is on the small size for a 3HP shaper and I should pass on
but wanted to double check with the crowd that have similar equipments (in particular
a version of this feeder) to see if this could work on a shaper.

david brum
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
I have one and feel that it's barely adequate for my smaller shaper. These baby feeders use an annoying ball and socket mechanism for squaring the feeder head, which is finicky to adjust. The power is also pretty low for moving any bigger, heavier pieces, such as a large board which is getting an edge treatment. I often have to "help" the board to keep it moving. It does the job, but has limitations. On a bigger shaper like yours, I would definitely hold out for a conventional feeder.

Steve Kohn
01-31-2012, 1:04 PM
Not to highjack this thread but is there a rule of thumb on feeders on shapers? If you have a 3HP shaper you need a minimum of 1/2 HP feeder or 3/4 HP feeder?

Jeff Duncan
01-31-2012, 1:07 PM
I don't know about rule of thumb, but I wouldn't bother with anything less than 1/2 hp. All my feeders are roughly 1 hp units and they have the mass and power to feed anything I can throw at them. Everything I've heard about the baby feeders on shapers has been negative, so I just couldn't ever recommend them to someone.

good luck,
JeffD

mreza Salav
01-31-2012, 2:04 PM
thanks folks, my guess is confirmed that this is too small and I pass.

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2012, 3:22 PM
Yes Jeff is correct. 1/8 HP is plenty powerful to push the wood through the shaper, however it doesn't have the hold down force or stiffness to control the work piece.

The 1/2 HP feeders are optimum, they have the force and stiffness, more power than is needed and they're less expensive than a 1 HP unit..........Regards, Rod.

J.R. Rutter
01-31-2012, 4:57 PM
1/2 works fine, but I like the adjustments on the 1 HP columns better - especially if you change setups often.

edit: Specifically the pivot points that control horizontal and vertical angle, and the fact that you can spin the whole feeder in the clamp around the base of the motor.

Stephen Cherry
01-31-2012, 5:36 PM
I have a 1 hp 3 wheeler on my delta hd shaper right now, (3 hp) and it seems like the whole thing would not take that much to tip over when the arm is swung out of the way. Works fine, but it difinately needs ballast in the bottom of the cabinet.

I'm not sure how it is up north, as far as the used market on machinery goes, but I would consider holding out for 1 hp because that will likely do anything you will ask of it, as far as recycling onto other machines, etc. For example, a 1 hp feeder on a 3 hp shaper could be rolled up and clamped to your table saw if you have a lot of ripping to do. Or you jointer.