PDA

View Full Version : DRO on Jet 1.5hp shaper

david brum
01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi All. I posted an inquiry last month about the possibility of installing a $30 I-Gaging DRO (digital read out) on a shaper. I got some positive responses, so I ordered one and installed it last week. It took much longer to decide how to mount it than the actual installation. I have to say that I was amazed and horrified by the accuracy of this little guy.

I'm amazed that something this accurate and well designed can be this inexpensive. The LCD screen looks just like a Wixey screen. The height can be zeroed at any point, so it's easy to create a reference for any height cutter. The cord is long enough that the screen can be mounted several feet away from the electronic bar (whatever that's called). The LCD screen even has magnets on the back, so it can be easily moved. I stuck my screen on the dust chute, which angles toward me at about the right perspective.

I'm horrified because I can see how much the spindle moves when I lock it in place. For instance, if I raise a rabbeting cutter to .250", it will raise itself to .252 when I lock it. If I'm lowering the cutter to from a higher position, it will lower itself a few thousands when I lock it. I had no idea this had been going on, and helps explain why my cope and stick doors don't end up completely flush.

I was also surprised to find that the hand wheel on this particular shaper is so small and light that it's nearly impossible to adjust the spindle to an exact height. After some thought, I ordered an undrilled, cast iron 5" hand wheel ($11 on ebay). The 5" size is the largest which will clear the table top. The extra weight and diameter makes a huge difference. I can now feel the "lash" in the height adjuster gear and can control the height to .001.

I'm not at the shaping stage of a project right now, so I haven't been able to use the shaper, but I'm looking forward to flush joints.